An Adventure into 7mm

• RMweb Premium

My 7mm builds

From time to time I have ventured into 7mm moddelling. Although not my first choice, that is 4mm. Many years ago I was asked by a friebd to build  kits for him in 7mm (coarse). He had bought a number of Dawson kits for LMS prototypes and so it befell that I was coaxed into assembling these. They included 2-6-4T, 8F and class five. There was not a lot of detail on these, they were very basic by today's standards but they built up into a good basic model. My friend was more than happy with these and they were duely painted by Brackenborough.

The next was a Jubilee and I thought what h*** I will build two and sell on the other separately. I made card templates from the kit  parts and two Jubilees emerged. The second went to another friend in primer.

Next there was a Brittania. As as both worked at Aerospace it became "Tornado" - no not the new one.

Unfortunately I did not take many photograghs of models at that time so I cannot post many. I have a poor one of the Brit.

On retirement I made a further venture into 7mm this time a Chowbent L&Y 0-6-0. It was completed, painted and  subesquently sold. I do have a few photos of that. I will dig them out.

My final venture in 7mm was the DJH A1. This was a 'for me' project and never intended as a running model but only as a showcase model. In spite of pleas for friends it has never been motorised.

I spent on lot of time on this. To be blunt it is not the best of kit that have built and needed a numbr of corrections. The worst was the smokebox which was noticably smaller diameter than the boiler and just did not look right. A complaint to DJH produced a second boiler which was as bad as the first. I resorted to drastic action and split the smokebox along its bottom the prised the cut apart to correct the diameter. It worked. I won't go into the rest of the changes that I made except to saythat I threw the vavle guides away.

post-6751-0-12084900-1363452084_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-88981600-1363452077_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

The A1 has been something of a curse for some kit producers. Not as easy as it looks.

Maybe but some things are inexcusable. My description of the original valve guides is that they were designed from someones memory but it wasn't very good!

Here's another shot.

post-6751-0-47929200-1363460142_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

Hello Arthur, I have had a a couple of instances over the years with white metal smokebox front rings being too small for the etched smoke box, but what you describe is as you say inexcusable. You would think the supplier would have replaced both boiler and smoke box so they could ensure you were getting a matching pair! It is not as if this manufacturer is in the lower price range of kits so you would expect better. In one case I did what you did, in cutting the ring, spreading until it was the right diameter, then soldering in a piece of white metal from a spare casting to fill the gap. Relatively simple compared to your problem.

Criticism of the kit apart, you have made a superb model even seeing it only in "works grey". Have you finished it? Cheers, Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hello Arthur, I have had a a couple of instances over the years with white metal smokebox front rings being too small for the etched smoke box, but what you describe is as you say inexcusable. You would think the supplier would have replaced both boiler and smoke box so they could ensure you were getting a matching pair! It is not as if this manufacturer is in the lower price range of kits so you would expect better. In one case I did what you did, in cutting the ring, spreading until it was the right diameter, then soldering in a piece of white metal from a spare casting to fill the gap. Relatively simple compared to your problem.

Criticism of the kit apart, you have made a superb model even seeing it only in "works grey". Have you finished it? Cheers, Peter

Well they did supply new boiler and smokebox but as I said they were just as bad. I think I still have one pair lying around somewhere. They didn't ask for them back.

Yes the model is now fully complete, painted and lined. I thought I had photos of the completed model but they are probably on slides that I havn't scanned in yet. Few digital cameras then. One day I will take some more photos but things are a little busy at the moment.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

Ever seen the ProScale one in 4mm?

Not built the A1 but I have built one A3 and partially built a second. I also have the V2 but as you probably know the firebox doesn't fit. I made a new one in nickel silver. I wasn'y quite as finicky then as I am now so I was quite happy with the results. I have the P2 still in the build stage (body  near complete). That was bought when it was first announced. I told a friend about it and he reached into his pocket brought out his chquebook and wrote one there and then and asked me to build it. I bought two. His was finished and painted. Perhaps mine will be finished someday.

post-6751-0-54982900-1363474021.jpg

ArthurK

Did someone mention a DJH A1. From what I remember the A1 was their third Limited edition 7mm kit following the V2 and A2.  I did not build a DJH V2 but did complete an A2. This kit had the same problem smokebox with a smaller diameter to that of the boiler as did the following A1 

I too resorted to cutting through the base easing out the gap until its overall shape matched the boiler after which I filled the gap and filed to shape. I did the same some years later when I managed to get hold of an unbuilt LE A1 kit.

A couple of images of the resulting model with a degree of added detail and replacement castings are attached. A1 60116 " Hal O' the Wynd" is depicted as ex Doncaster works 1962 when it was out shopped with an A2 replacement boiler 

The main criteria for me is that it looks an A1, albeit pretty clean for a Tyneside based loco

Regards

Bob

post-8104-0-89000000-1363874908_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-85474200-1363874951_thumb.jpg

post-8104-0-72156600-1363875025_thumb.jpg

Pretty good.

And here she is on entry to the works, early summer 1962:

post-13196-0-48856500-1363881752_thumb.jpg

Not taken by me, but I was standing next to the photographer when he took it, he deemed it a "rare 'un".

• RMweb Premium

And one of my favourite Sir Walter Scott characters.....

How many of us know that "wynd" means "lane, or byway", not "wind"?

Wynd (passage or lane) ia term also used in Geordieland.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

North Eastern looks fantastic ArthurK! What Livery will she be painted in?

It was painted a long time ago. It is in BR green. For some reason I haven't a photograph of it its finished condition. It may be on one of my later slides that I haven't scanned as yet. I am about half way through about 2500. Easiest thing is to re-photograph it with my digital camera when I can find the time.

ArthurK

Archived