RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Ooh. Tell me more about Star Trek!

Any chance of some photos of the prairie from someone who has one?

I believe it's a Romulan Warbird. Mine is modelled cloaked - that way it doesn't take up space (better used for trains) or collect dust! :jester:

Edited by Il Grifone

They've always been pleasant when taking my orders, albeit hopelessly inefficient on several occasions owing to a badly arranged and all-controlling computer system. Don't be too surprised if it takes six weeks and a chase-up phone call for you order to turn up.......

Well I've got through the first stage by actually placing an order. Thought it might have been like creeping past the black gates of Mordor with Frodo and Sam, but actually ok. If I eventually get the locos then great, if they never turn up then at least I can query the payment with the credit card company. Malcolm got his locos so I live in hope. Plenty to be getting on with before these turn up, anyway...

I've been following your excellent  P2 conversions (on the Hornby P2 thread) and it's occurred to me that by cutting the front, and the firebox/cab off an A4 and fitting the right sized tube  as a boiler, it could be possible to make a streamline nose  P2 body without needing the Hornby P2.  Would need  a scratch built chassis of course, but the Hornby one needs different valve gear for the later locos anyway. Or perhaps chassis spares will be available.  With a GBL A4 coming my way (hopefully) it might be worth a go. But not yet sure if A4/P2 cabs/front were exactly the same anyway.  Research needed. Otherwise intend to try GBL A4 on an old Hornby tender drive chassis, which I've dug out of "the back of the engine shed" and got running ok.

Bill

• Like 1

I've been following your excellent  P2 conversions (on the Hornby P2 thread) and it's occurred to me that by cutting the front, and the firebox/cab off an A4 and fitting the right sized tube  as a boiler, it could be possible to make a streamline nose  P2 body without needing the Hornby P2.  Would need  a scratch built chassis of course, but the Hornby one needs different valve gear for the later locos anyway. Or perhaps chassis spares will be available.  With a GBL A4 coming my way (hopefully) it might be worth a go. But not yet sure if A4/P2 cabs/front were exactly the same anyway.  Research needed. Otherwise intend to try GBL A4 on an old Hornby tender drive chassis, which I've dug out of "the back of the engine shed" and got running ok.

Bill

Got to be worth a go though Bill

Absolutely none of the GBL 45XXs to be found in the local (Eastleigh / Chandlers Ford, Winchester) ASDAs, Sainsburys, or WHSs currently. I undertook a major campaign today, but to no avail.

Back to the lottery of ordering from Amercom.

I shall be selling my model when it arrives at my local post office (reserved one - the model that is). It hadn't arrived Thursday but I shall be calling Monday aft and if successful, I'll let you know again, if you wish Sir.

• Like 1

I shall be selling my model when it arrives at my local post office (reserved one - the model that is). It hadn't arrived Thursday but I shall be calling Monday aft and if successful, I'll let you know again, if you wish Sir.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Greenhithe Asda and Bluewater W.H. Smith's had a 4575 each this morning. Smith's also had no less than four HST power cars. (At a quick glance the paintwork didn't look too bad.

Even so one is better off looking for the original Lima and Hornby models IMHO. They are unlikely to cost much more (maybe less!) and don't need so much work being already mobile. The Lima model at least has a proper copper cap to the chimney and wire handrails around the smokebox.

Greenhithe Asda and Bluewater W.H. Smith's had a 4575 each this morning. Smith's also had no less than four HST power cars. (At a quick glance the paintwork didn't look too bad.

Even so one is better off looking for the original Lima and Hornby models IMHO. They are unlikely to cost much more (maybe less!) and don't need so much work being already mobile. The Lima model at least has a proper copper cap to the chimney and wire handrails around the smokebox.

Five copies of the 45XX in the WHSmith branch  at Street, Somerset at closing time on Thursday.

I thought that the Basildon Asda's had given up stocking GBL, however they had four 'Small Prairies' this lunch time, pity I'm not a GWR fan.

There were two in Tilbury Asda this morning and they're not too bad at all - at least the driving wheels have proper spokes*. The usual excess of silver paint below the running plate including the rear pony truck!.

(Sits quietly in a darkened room and chants softly, "I don't need another small prairie! I don't need another small prairie! I don't need another small prairie! I don't need......")

Also a rather nice Star Trek space craft and a bargain for the young Thomas fans - Thomas, Percy, Diesel and a wagon for £5.99. (rather crude but they are for small children).

*The pony wheels are solid backed, but so are the Lima ones.

I find it quite amazing that all the major retailers in South Hampshire have given up on this series.

They (WHS Asda Sainsbury) really have sunk to the lowest depths in my estimation, as all early issues sold, but the store magazine buyers can't be arsed to find the space that the bulky models/packaging occupy.

Latest pics of my D11 on Hornby D49 tender-drive chassis are here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89857-converting-gbl-k3-to-k5-modifyingmotorising-gbl-models/

John

Looks very good. I've just cleaned up an old tender drive Hornby A4 that hadn't been out the box for many years  and it now runs surprisingly well so I'm thinking that the tender drive conversion that you've done would make a loco that runs satisfactorily.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find it quite amazing that all the major retailers in South Hampshire have given up on this series.

Eastleigh WHS had at least 3 Prairies on Thursday, but they had apparently gone by Friday (not to me). They had also had the HST. It might be worth checking Eastleigh Sainsbury's as I saw the 4MT in there, but I don't usually go down the magazine aisle. If you go into Southampton it might be worth trying Isaac's newsagent in Queensway.

Pete

Eastleigh WHS had at least 3 Prairies on Thursday, but they had apparently gone by Friday (not to me). They had also had the HST. It might be worth checking Eastleigh Sainsbury's as I saw the 4MT in there, but I don't usually go down the magazine aisle. If you go into Southampton it might be worth trying Isaac's newsagent in Queensway.

Pete

Thanks for the tip. The Eastleigh Asda seems to have stopped and the Winchester WHS and Sainsbury also.

Looks very good. I've just cleaned up an old tender drive Hornby A4 that hadn't been out the box for many years  and it now runs surprisingly well so I'm thinking that the tender drive conversion that you've done would make a loco that runs satisfactorily.

I see no reason why not. I was lucky enough to have a few A3/4 loco-drive chassis, bought when you could get them for £25 or so, rather than the £50+ you see them for now. The A4 was one of the easiest to motorise, as well as being a decent model in it's own right, so you will end up with a much better model than the original Hornby. The only issue may be the height of the motor v the tender top. Interested to see how you get on - I'm about to start " de-valancing" a GBL Mallard to pair with a Scotsman tender to become 60030 Golden Fleece.

• Like 2

Replying back to this topic of 'Great Bulbous Lumps' now having found the time to do it!! I have included two pictures of my tidy up of the 'Coronation' model.

Nearly there now. Have ordered the handrails to do it justice and to finish off model.

It does now however, represent the 'something made out of real coal', often wondered how that was ever done??!!!!

No doubt I will have thrown something in the mix here!! Were those models ever made from real coal?? Did the moulds they used for their models get recycled for 'Great Bulbous Lumps' models??

One of life's mystery's this ????!!!! :sarcastic:

My nearly finished Locomotive will be renamed as mentioned in previous replies to this topic as 'City Of Lancaster' last of LMS streamliners. It ran in black with red and straw LMS numbering and it carried 1B shed plate according to the historical records.

You will see from two photos added that it looks 100% better in the latter one. The first picture shows 'damage' clearly as supplied from gbl , with their good quality of service they had!!?? :mad:

To attempt to show damage on model I gave it a very quick pass with grey primer then Chaos Black paint.

Before re spray plenty of model filler by Humbrol to fill in the big problem areas left by gbl.

Asking about missing parts and damage, you will remember from previous threads contact with GBL at Ringwood got me absolutely nowhere so I have replaced parts myself.

Anyway moving back to the 'Coronation' one of the most difficult things on the stripping down of this model was getting the windows out of cab. God only knows what they have used to secure these windows in? Could not remove one set but Tamiya masking tape 6mm does fit over windows for the re spray of this model. Rebuilt the non supplied by gbl injector under right side of cab with scrap parts out of scrap box. Think I used bits of pipe/exhaust work from an Airfix Matador?

Amazing what you can use from scrap parts by Airfix and Kitmaster. The name plates are CGW nameplates, this was the most expensive part of build. Swiftly followed by the HMRS transfers. Bought these for new projects after this one, just wondering if 'Princess' can be redone later in different livery??

That's of course if I get hold of this model. Things are now getting dire into obtaining these products from several of my normal shops.!!

On subject of using scrap parts of other projects I have used a cut up an old Airfix/kitmaster Pug for new buffer shanks on the Std 4.

I like the fact that gbl added the screw fitting on the over moulded chassis/con rods parts!!Don't understand how this was never covered up by them!!!!!??

The pug parts should show in last attached photo?? Do not worry these buffers were a temp fit for photographs. As you will all see they are not level .Tamiya X7 red has been used for this item for buffer beams and this has also been used on K3 model of which is on the way to being finished off. I have used BR sms transfers for this project. Think they looked better on the K3.

Think because the GBL product is getting very difficult to get hold this may be last thread on this subject?? Will wait and see??

post-14209-0-44676500-1413742056_thumb.jpg

post-14209-0-71723000-1413742086_thumb.jpg

post-14209-0-33983900-1413742116_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I think the "Real Coal" things are made from a casting resin that is impregnated with "Real Coal" dust.....

Amongst the moulds made was a Princess taken from a Tri-ang Model with the coupling rods on upside down! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

On subject of 'upside' down con rods !!!!! As mentioned above (sarahagain), I have just got in from my long work drive today. 

Just stripped down the latest offering from 'Ringwood' or could it be China !!!(gblumps)???

The very interesting Small Prairie Tank 45xx?? Guess what ,they to have put the con rods in place upside down!!Couldn't see this through packaging when buying it!!!

Don't look good for the 'Princess', as I have said in above thread perhaps they will be using the 'made of real coal ' moulds!!!??? :O

Again, lets hope not and wait and see!!!

• Like 1

They've always been pleasant when taking my orders, albeit hopelessly inefficient on several occasions owing to a badly arranged and all-controlling computer system. Don't be too surprised if it takes six weeks and a chase-up phone call for you order to turn up.......

Once again, magazines ordered three weeks ago (but only after four frustrating phone calls to the customer services centre), delivery of which was to be expected in "two to three weeks maximum" have failed to turn up - because they haven't sent them yet - and another phone call to them today has brought forth another load of excuses (true or otherwise) for incompetence/inefficiency. I'm now told to expect them in seven days, and I've insisted that my dissatisfaction be recorded and brought to the attention of their (mis)management.

Well.  I haven't received the 4 GBL mags I ordered yet, but it's only a week so far.  In the meantime, here's where I am with the 4MT tank.

post-4032-0-96641200-1413912562_thumb.jpg

The nearer is the GBL body, the other is a Wrenn 4mt which I bought years ago as a spare body.  It even came in the correct Wrenn box, together with a set of Peco style couplings.  I bought a Comet chassis kit, but never got any further. The comet frames fit the GBL body ok, so I now intend to use the kit chassis when built with the GBL body instead and keep the Wrenn one as it is, and look for a suitable genuine chassis to do up. If so I'd have a "new" wrenn loco to run. Being influenced by Sarahagain's Tri-ang 3mt tanks.

The 2 bodies are actually much the same shape so either could be used for an ok model. The GBL lining is a strange colour though so it will need repainting (after proper handrails fitted) and relining.

The buffers are Bachmann sprung oval head, part 36-031, however the Hornby class 31 metal ones people used earlier in this thread do look better.

So that's as far as the 4mt has gone.

• Like 5

Got home today to find my subscription 125 and other loco (name escapes me).

By heck, that 125's a piece of wossname! It's a complete dog's udder.

I think I'll paint it malachite, with sunshine lettering. And a chimney. Leader 125, anybody?

• Like 2