Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just picked up my king, from Asia Halesowen, sorry the only modern steam love that looked good in br blue ww the duchess...then again would look good in any livery....even to my biased eyes what has happened to the cab window?...should have gone to spec savers...

Yes looking at my last text and its errors...definitely mean me...spec savers not just the copying of cab...but .as smiffy alludes too still a lot of model for the price and one I'm sure will repay the extra work only too evident by a number of modellers on this and associated forums

I still haven't got one because my subscription copy hasn't turned up and when Julie went to Smiths they told her they didn't stock it, and hadn't stocked it since issue 4.

So what's this T9 I bought there a fortnight ago, then, Scotch mist?

Any chance of some more pictures?

Dear weathering man looking forward to your review...They were and are a source of great modelling information...in respect of cab window..as mentioned on other models in series the prism Effect of the glass may be adding to my perception of the brass surround being incorrect. In any event I appreciate your efforts in examining this model best wishes

Just to say that my King's driving wheels have been put in the wrong way round!

The open part of the spokes are at 12 o'clock instead at 6 o'clock resting on the "track". The tender wheels are ok.

First time I've come across such a glaring mistake.

The rest of it is ok, but waiting for Weatherman's review before being certain!

Just to say that my King's driving wheels have been put in the wrong way round!

The open part of the spokes are at 12 o'clock instead at 6 o'clock resting on the "track". The tender wheels are ok.

First time I've come across such a glaring mistake!

Eh? I don't follow, can you elaborate?

Cheers

Shane

Eh? I don't follow, can you elaborate?

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane

If you look at the driving wheels and, if yours are the same as mine, you will see that the wheels have a small section of see through spokes. But these sections are at the top of the wheels instead of being placed at the rails. There is no see through sections at rail level, where it counts.

I can only think that the wheels assembly should be turned around and put on the alternative sides so give the spaces at the right position. The connecting rods and cylinders shouldn't give much hassle as they are "on the same line"

Trust that sounds okay--took me a long time to think it through.

Patrick

Excellent weathering man, it was reading one of your earlier reviews that got me involved in this thread.....so not all positive then........moving on i agree with you, as with so many of these models  in this series , a bit of work will pay great dividends.

it has the added advantage hopefully of assisting some of the small suppliers.

Yesterday there were two left at W. H. Smiths in Swanage. This series has been moved from the magazine section to the front of the store by the till probably so they don't get handled so much. Today there were four left at W. H. Smiths at Poole. I have not bought one as I already have a Hornby Great Western King in my collection but it looks like a good model and would look good in a showcase or in an early BR(WR) motive power depot. Another idea would be as part of a display with other BR blue express locomotives like a Merchant Navy Pacific (if anyone produces one), a Duchess and an A4 to show the most powerful locomotives that BR took over from the Big Four.

• Like 1

Should anyone be unable to obtain a "King" locally and be desperate for one, I shall be going to Barnsley town centre tomorrow morning and be happy to purchase one (or even two!) for sending on. I would require basic cost plus RM Second Class Medium Parcel rate of £5:20. Please bear in mind that I can only the view three sides available before I purchase. Please pm me before 10am tomorrow. regards Malcolm

Hi again All,

Well everyone here are the photos as promised.

I hope I've covered the King in enough detail to show the model well.

With regret I will have to delay posting the review until the morning as to be honest I don't think I can manage the extra rewrite tonight - its the usual problem of health overtaking me I'm afraid.

Rest assured though that i'll get on straight away in the morning - all I can do is to apologise to you all and ask you to bear with me.

Thanks to those who have given me their best wishes.

Regards.

Hi TheWeatheringMan

Sorry to take this off topic but it looks like you're doing a caprotti std 5 conversion in the backround of the pics of the GBL king, would you mind telling us a bit about it please ?

Thanks, Sam

Minor problems with the Compound meant I had the chance to push on with the K3/B1 to the K1/1. the photo shows the current state of disrepair, and how I got here is described on the thread at my signature.

post-1659-0-15342100-1417174275_thumb.jpg

The King is really impressive and I accept any deficiencies at this price. Just accept it as a reasonable outline. I like the darkened wheels especially and the colour is just right. Which is more than can be said for the old Lima King Charles II, the one with moulded handrails. That was the first loco I bought when I returned to modelling almost 40 years ago. Not the best offering but again cheap, at £9.99 if I remember correctly.

On a separate issue, am I not the only one who wonders why series of this type don't feature in the model press? Maybe lack of advertising may be responsible, although there is the occasional insert, as for example for the recently announced Atlas Editions series of British z gauge locos/coaches. I'm interested in that because Z gauge is really the only scale I have room for any more. So perhaps the King is the last model I should get, but I'm still off to the Letchworth MR exhibition tomorrow!