RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I've made a start on 'improving' the L&M coach. Specifically, the frame which on the original has large cutouts and a truss bar visible.

First of all I tried painting the holes black. Not impressed.

attachicon.gifDSC_0012.jpg

So set about cutting out the backing on the W irons (if you can call them that) and the truss rod openings, by drilling, chopping with a small scalpel blade and then filing.

attachicon.gifDSC_0014.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0015.jpg

Then reinstating the truss rods. The first stage of this is using handrail wire, held in place by masking tape and then a glob of Devcon at each end. It's chimping at its finest, and needs a lot of nudging. I've straightened the right-hand rod after seeing the close-up. I wanted to use plastic and stick it with solvent but the rod I have is too thick.

attachicon.gifDSC_0016.jpg

The next stage will be to put in a small backing plate behind the truss rod, probably using a bit of leftover etch, and a support for the step, which will probably be handrail wire again unless I can find anything more convincing.

Then painting...

I think the truss rods are actually the buffer shanks extended back to a common spring in the centre of the coach. The buffers will come out will a little care and then a hole can be drilled to secure the wire at each end - at least that's how I intend to do mine. I am going to try putting a small motor in the coach and drive one axle. This should be sufficient for the engine and two or three coaches.

I think I would agree with using a Kitmaster (etc,) engine - there are rather too many compromises with the GBL one which is a quite faithful copy of Tri-ang's effort - and at least the wheels go round. Most of the illustrations of the real thing show a light bumper at the front (the kit includes it), It appears to be an extension of the frames but doesn't look as if it would support much in the way of buffing shocks.

Edited by Il Grifone

Ah! I hadn't thought of that - it makes the job much simpler, and that's what I'll do on the second side/next coach.

If anyone has any to swap I'm up for that - I'll put a list of what I have available up later.

The standard distance of buffer centres is 5' 8½" (now reduced to 5' 8" I believe) while on the GBL coach they are set about a scale foot wider (copied from the Tri-ang model). The coach bodyscales about 8 feet wide, which seems to be generous - they were building coaches narrower than this a half century later. It could be a Tri-ang bodge to get their thick wheels in.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

OK, I've been up in the loft and these locos are looking for a forever home with a supportive family:

1 Deltic

2 Jinties

1 Castle

1 Coronation

1 4MT

1 Inter City 125

2 Black Fives (one lightly weathered)

1 A4

1 45xx

Corbs gets first dibs.

I'll also be unloading the next few, the Royal Scot, Britannia and Western. I really only want the N Class and Lord Nelson (2 or 3 of each) until such time as GBL realise their mistake and do a Terrier.

Straight swapsies only, Dapol Rockets also accepted, quite happy to send now on the promise of a Nelson later. Will swap 2 for 1 for a Terrier...

There are several very pretty little Southern tanks - like the P, the R1 and of course the LBCSR Atlantics - but without Triang/Hornby antecedents, no possibility.

Mind you, there was the Wrenn R1 - I've just got one on my bench. It wouldn't take a lot to bring it up to date.

I'd also swap GBL for a chassis for it (wheels not needed).

Dublo/Wrenn R1 chassis are common enough on eBay, though the wheelbase is incorrect (same coupling rods as their N2 tank). It's often cheaper to get the whole locomotive rather than just the chassis though. Check the motor is present and working, as spares are expensive.

I don't have a spare myself unfortunately.

post-23587-0-65107700-1424537512.jpgpost-23587-0-17966000-1424537529.jpgdear all in an idle moment after dismantling my now completed chassis and motion for 44767.....and painting her...still got to work on body and tender not least a new comet cab after destroying the GBL one with my soldering iron...anyway thought I would have a go at improving the profile of the GBL peak....I'm sure been done many times by other modellers on mainline models....anyway though I would share...still a lot of filing and filling to do....and fitting the unity class 44 grilles now purchased for olivios trains....to me though it looks a lot better...then again I think I look like Mr clooney my family think more like shrek....

Hi,

Not sure if any on else is having the same issue with the subscription service, but I'm yet to receive:

17 IC 125

& 21 King

& 23 Caledonian Single.

(I also haven't had 25+ but I seem to get them two issues behind...)

Is anyone else having a similar problem or could supply me contact details to enquire. (I think I had a note say there was a delay with 17?)

Thanks,

Martyn

Dublo/Wrenn R1 chassis are common enough on eBay, though the wheelbase is incorrect (same coupling rods as their N2 tank). It's often cheaper to get the whole locomotive rather than just the chassis though. Check the motor is present and working, as spares are expensive.

I don't have a spare myself unfortunately.

Or there's this one, from Gostude, for £250...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WRENN-W2201-SE-CR-GREEN-0-6-0-CLASS-R1-TANK-LOCO-69-BOXED-nc-/331422674302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2a54ad7e

Or this monstrosity

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WRENN-W2201-KIT-BUILT-SOUTHERN-SR-0-6-0-CLASS-R1-TANK-LOCO-NICE-my-/360789263125?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5400b74315

Or this one, from his sock puppet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WRENN-MODEL-No-2206-2207-BR-EX-SR-R1-0-6-0T-TANK-LOCO-BLUE-LIVERY-CODE-3-/400746749117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4e5e1cbd

Hi,

Not sure if any on else is having the same issue with the subscription service, but I'm yet to receive:

17 IC 125

& 21 King

& 23 Caledonian Single.

(I also haven't had 25+ but I seem to get them two issues behind...)

Is anyone else having a similar problem or could supply me contact details to enquire. (I think I had a note say there was a delay with 17?)

Thanks,

Martyn

I gave then a call yesterday as I am still waiting for issue 22 onwards. Chap on the phone said they had been sent out but there was a shortage, which sounded a bit contradictory! He also said that my payments were up to date. Well I know that so why have I not had anything for 2 months?

Number to call is 08444725237

Cheers

Shane

Sorry just to make clear only one end worked on the added styrene filler piece the other unaltered for comparison..

Great stuff Sir! I am a big "Peak" fan like yourself - can I pick your brains - what thickness plasticard did you use for the insert in the nose end, and(!) secondly - flush glazing - is the South-Eastern glazing kit any good or would you suggest clear pasticard again for this , and if so what thickness for this too? Many thanks Malcolm

Great stuff Sir! I am a big "Peak" fan like yourself - can I pick your brains - what thickness plasticard did you use for the insert in the nose end, and(!) secondly - flush glazing - is the South-Eastern glazing kit any good or would you suggest clear pasticard again for this , and if so what thickness for this too? Many thanks Malcolm

thanks for the kind word emperor....will measure thickness of the card used tomorrow.....in respect of glazing I havnt changed the window sizes so South Eastern fine cast flush glazing for the class45 should be ok. I did a whole three car GWR dmu a couple of years ago carving up three lima single railcars as per an article by the late monty wells in the model journal. I seed a mixture of the fineglaze and clear plastic cut and filed to shape...held in place by gloss varnish. The windows of the. Peak have had the surround toned down a little by sanding...as stated a work in progress more soon...

In the heading of this, there appears to be a word missing after my - @rs*   :jester: 

Cartmel's blue one is pretty, if a flight of fantasy, but is a paint job really worth  £100?? Also I understand that "CODE 3" strictly means a commissioned special edition by a third party (rather than the manufacturer) complete with paperwork etc. not a one-off. (CODE 1 is an original paint finish and CODE 2 a repaint simulating the original).

Incidentally, does anyone know the correct wheelbase of an R1. The Dublo/Wrenn chassis is 6'6" + 7' 9"

thanks for the kind word emperor....will measure thickness of the card used tomorrow.....in respect of glazing I havnt changed the window sizes so South Eastern fine cast flush glazing for the class45 should be ok. I did a whole three car GWR dmu a couple of years ago carving up three lima single railcars as per an article by the late monty wells in the model journal. I seed a mixture of the fineglaze and clear plastic cut and filed to shape...held in place by gloss varnish. The windows of the. Peak have had the surround toned down a little by sanding...as stated a work in progress more soon...

Thanks for your quick reply Sir! I too have filed the window frames with an emery-board(!) to remove some of the "edge" they possess!

Wasn't certain about the SE Finecast glazing tbh. That dmu must have tested your patience to put it mildly. Look forward to your clarification on the plasticard measurement. i did post on the Mainline Class 45 thread but has it has only 3 followers including myself(!) I was being a bit optimistic for a reply. Thanks again anyhow.

post-23587-0-78451600-1424608500.jpgjust a quick photo in reply to the enquiry about styrene sheet....here is the sheet in question...code sl 0140.....about 1mil thick..?for good measure the GWR dmu showing a combination of flush glaze and home brewe windows....yes I almost lost the will to live.....in addition the completed Stephenson valve gear currently in grey primer.before being painted oily steel and when added to chassis weathered with sleeper grime( awaiting black 5 balance weights). Lastly why a GWR dmu on my Midlands layout.....an excursion by the Westminster bank in London bought one through brum onto denby and then return....needs windscreen wipers to complete....a round tuit sort of job.....to see ow good this can really look MRJ nos 5 and 6 and months version...superb..
  • Like 1

If anyone wants to snag one of these Rockets lying around and swap it, my list of available locos is upthread.

and here

1 Deltic

2 Jinties

1 Castle

1 Coronation

1 4MT

1 Inter City 125

2 Black Fives (one lightly weathered)

1 A4

1 45xx

1 Standard 2-6-0

Edited by Smiffy2