Great British Locomotives

EddieB

As I said, it is not helped by the publisher not offering a back issue option on their website.

But they do offer a back-issue service. Some people here have used it. Perhaps they'll remind us of the phone number, if not it has been given on this thread.

On the website you can buy back issues, but they are more expensive at €20 and postage.

• Like 1

Got the royal Scot today nice model. I'm sat here with the airfix model and I don't think it's based on the one I have maybe one is rebuilt I don't know I'm not an expert. The top feed and dome are different. As is the roof vent. Someone out there will know. The whistle is a seperate fitting and looks undernourished, however it should be an easy job to replace it with a turned brass item. On the other hand the safety valves are larger than the ones on my airfix model but again they are separately fitted.

Maybe GBL have been reading my previous posts but thankfully they have stopped painting the wheels silver. However if they are reading this can they stop painting buffers silver thank you.the motion is a silvery colour but easy enough to paint

Some nameplates seem to be a little squint but they are also seperate fittings so should be easy to square up. It's also good news for those of you who intend to rename your locos. The lining is very well done around the tender and cabside though the boiler bands are a little patchy in places. The crest on the tender is a bit too yellow for my eyes and would benefit from a replacement transfer. And as always the coal in the tender is a bit crude.

So another great model at a great price.

Now I need to work out how to stick an airfix chassis under one.

• Like 2

Here are some pics of the Scot to be going on with until someone can produce something better- a couple are out of focus. It's not a loco I know a lot of detail about, and I remember a lot of discussion about chimney shapes and what have you in the past. Without the GBL series it's not a loco I would have bothered with , though I do have pictures o them at Newcastle and Darlington, including service trains.(cross-country from Birmingham). But for £8.99 for the loco and £20 for a working chassis, what could I do? It will be renamed / renumbered. here the cab-side numerals really this small?

post-1659-0-58765000-1425465390_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-58959300-1425465415_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-14097400-1425465441_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-17460700-1425465459_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-43781500-1425465489_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-24200100-1425465516_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-28854900-1425465539_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Whereas the distance between the firebox top and the cab roof inclined me to think this is copied from the Mainline/ Bachmann version ?

There's also no indication of a hump of coal to accommodate the Airfix/GMR tender drive mechanism.

Cabside numbers are very small and slightly askew on my GBL model, otherwise quite presentable.

Regards,

John 

Re back issues: The Australian collection has only reached no 14, so the publishers must have copies for there.

Most magazines have ability to order back copies(at normal price) on their website, but that is not the case for this one. I am a bit concerned about getting one particular issue when I am on holiday in a couple of months.

I wonder if there are some people capitalising on shortages by buying up magazines to resell at inflated prices.

I would suggest ordering a back issue from a local/independent newsagent, near where you live, they can do the chasing for you.

If it arrives while you are on holiday, I'm sure they would  hold it for you if you leave instructions. It's cash on delivery so If it never arrives then you don’t pay.

I ordered 3 back issues this way, the cost was the usual £8.99

Edited by King Pin

Tilbury Asda had two this morning and only one when I left (the one with a moulding fault on the chimney stayed behind!).

She seems quite reasonable (I'm not an LMS expert - see below*), but the buffers and cab numbers are rather puny and the real thing would not have got very far with the valvegear as portrayed. The tender wheels are solid disc and the lining orange is rather dim (and there is a smudge of it on the tender side). The coal is as usual 'plastic' but better than others we've seen - maybe I'll get away with just a sprinkling of the real stuff on top. For now she'll decorate the M.P.D. and one day I'll get around to a functioning chassis**.

* Stanier was brought up in the 'true faith', but got led astray by Crewe and Derby*** heresies.

** Famous last words.....

*** Other works were involved, but these are the main culprits.

Ducks for cover....

• Like 1

Re the Scot, here are pics of the Mainline and Airfix Scots.

post-4032-0-66502900-1425469433.jpg

The Airfix one is above, the Mainline one below.

post-4032-0-34468000-1425469567.jpg

Airfix to left, Mainline has smokebox number.

The Mainline one does run.  Came from a friend's  late uncle's layout so has a certain sentimental value.

So which is the GBL one from?

Also I'm  now looking at the buffer beam, and the whistle location (the Airfix one plugs into the front of the cab and the Mainline one into the top of the firebox) so definitely Mainline.  Always thought the Airfix one had the edge but not so sure now!

As a matter of interest, there's a link here to an article on MREmag about the original Mainline/Airfix loco duplication and how it came about.

http://www.mremag.com/news/article/havi ... 2014/20116

It's 4th letter down by Merl Evans who worked for Palitoy.

Edited by railroadbill

It's definitely the Mainline one then the top feed and the dome are the giveaway.

And the rivets around the smoke box door. The smoke box number plate is slightly larger than the Mainline version and bears no resemblance to the Airfix model. That one is longer and thinner.

Cheers

Shane

Going back to the Rocket, I went to the Science Museum last weekend to see the RPS photographic exhibition (which was absolutely excellent). While there I took some pics of Rocket, in it's preserved, final state.

post-4032-0-48107700-1425473621_thumb.jpg

post-4032-0-51020700-1425473652_thumb.jpg

post-4032-0-41753700-1425473682_thumb.jpg

There was also a model of Rocket in Rainhill Trials mode built by the museum in 1907 which presumably was made using available info etc.

post-4032-0-97631800-1425474254_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of people in the museum, which I found rather reassuring for an interest in the technology that has underpinned our world.

• Like 5

Wasn't the Bullied Q1 the largest and most powerful 0-6-0 in Britain (and probably world)? ...

Highly incidental to this thread, but not by a long chalk. The USRA 0-6-0 built in WWI was an eighty ton loco with a 33 sq ft grate and as much starting tractive effort as a UK 9F. Overall  about the same length and weight, loco and eight wheel tender, as a maximum size UK 4-6-0. Continuous power output potential probably much the same as the Q1.

Oh, and that was the light switcher, a 'small shunting loco'. I expect that wasn't the largest either, before eight coupled (and eventually ten coupled) switchers took over, as some US steam era roads allowed 32 ton axle load so an 0-6-0 could in theory go to 96 ton.

Great Eastern 0-6-0 chassis seemed to have a different chassis and wheel spacing which was not followed by most other railways so finding a chassis for a GE loco would be difficult. The old Triang B12, still produced and will be copied by GBL dates from 1959. Good in it's day but rather inaccurate. The body is too short, the boiler too small and the chimney is too tall. However the model is quite attractive and I am think whether it would be quite simple to convert to a B12 /1 or B12/2 or even a GER 1500. Need to make a decorative slasher and a belpair firebox but could be a possibility. The old Triang ... GE tender was quite good.

The B12 is one of those attractive compromise models that doesn't actually represent anything that ever ran. When Hornby get around to renewing the B12, people probably won't like the new models because they won't look like the old one. (Exactly the same happened when the Bachmann Deltic was introduced; the Lima Deltic - inaccurate in just about every respect imaginable - had so warped people's perceptions that the new and overall much more accurate model was loudly condemned in some quarters! Actually it is pretty much dimensionally bob on in all major respects...)

The GE tender off the B12 is the most usable piece but is vertically stretched. Can have 2mm cut out of the top of the frames above the spring hangers and then is close to right. One of these now dawdles around behind my 'sort of J19' adapted from a Bachmann J39. It needs a longer wheelbase 0-6-0 chassis (17'8") than one can buy RTR, as also does the J20 which is 18 feet. But for now it has the clapped out Bach J39 split chassis (17 feet w/b) which barely works, thus the dawdling.

Airfix/GMR-based, then, judging by the very long smokebox door plate.

It is copied from the Mainlne / Bachmann version. The Airfix model did have the long front number moulding but the body was quite different with larger (too large) splashes and a better represenetation of the buffer beam. The copy is not bad but the original Mainline model had a number of inaccuracies. The long front number was there to represent "the Royal Scot" plate carried only the unrebuilt 6100 when touring the USA. It was not in fact carried by the rebuilt 46100. On the mainline model copied by GBL, the cab is too high above the firebox which makes the overall profile look a bit wrong. On the GBL model it seems to me the smokebox door is again a bit too thick the lining on the cab is set too far in from the edge and the numbers are too small. Cab window glass is also missing. To me the shade of green is also too light.

Overall this is not a bad copy given the source and the faults on the GBL version are mostly minor. Bachmann split chassis for this model are often available and were the same for the Jubilee and Rebuilt Patriot although wheels were different. A pity they did not copy the current Hornby Version as this is much more accurate but still for 8.99 it give a cheap and reasonable Scot which could be upgraded and improved. Having got a Hornby Scot and and Airfix one upgraded on a modified chassis I'm not sure I need another but it could be a static stored loco in the shed.

Having spent  some time applying lining transfers to my K3/2, I thought attacking the Scot with a Dremel might be therapeutic. 15 minutes work and the GBL body is sitting on a Bachman chassis. The footplate cuts run from the cab to the slot where the smokebox fits. The boiler itself needs the retaining pegs removed flush to the boiler top, and very slightly filing to clear the motor.

The tender has very shallow dimples where pinpoint wheels would fit. I suspect with judicious drilling, these can be opened to take top hat bearings, If so, this has got to be one of the easiest motorising projects to date.

post-1659-0-50637000-1425484572_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-01260200-1425484790_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-37132900-1425484831_thumb.jpg

Edited by rowanj

My GBL "Royal Scot" is now for sale (unopened). Appears in good order viewed from the three sides available. Would require basic cost plus RM 2nd class Medium Parcel rate of £5.20. If from outside UK please pm me first to obtain an accurate postage figure. Thanks and regards.

None in ASDA yesterday, so either someone had been in early or they had not been put on shelf yet. Based on previous take up, I suspect the latter.

My comment about back issues. I have never come across a publisher only offering back issues at inflated prices . I have no problem with paying a reasonable postage but 20 euros is crazy. It just helps the dealers buy up the original priced ones then offer them at 20 euros.  Finding small local newsagents who can order copies is getting more difficult, and as I have mentioned there is often a limit at wholesellers.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Premium

John we will make an Lms man out of you yet

Not quite sure if this was intended for me , But, I Love My Streaks !

Hat, coat, door ajar...

John

Edit to 'sign'

Edited by Brit70053
  • Like 1

None in ASDA yesterday, so either someone had been in early or they had not been put on shelf yet. Based on previous take up, I suspect the latter.

My comment about back issues. I have never come across a publisher only offering back issues at inflated prices . I have no problem with paying a reasonable postage but 20 euros is crazy. It just helps the dealers buy up the original priced ones then offer them at 20 euros.  Finding small local newsagents who can order copies is getting more difficult, and as I have mentioned there is often a limit at wholesellers.

As stated earlier, if you phone customer services they will get back issues for you at cover price plus postage. It isn't the most efficient service in the world, but some contributors here have bought locos that way.