Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Believe me, it gets a whole lot worse! Much time was spent working out where the best place for the saw cuts should be.....

.....There looks to be a few other proportion issues along the side.

It's mainly to do with the cooler group grilles and roof fan panels being stretched.

Edited by Horsetan

Come on bgman warm that saw up, you know it makes sense. I had to go on holiday so that mine could cool off :locomotive:! I"ll send some piccys of a certain N class soon.

Hello mate, thanks for the encouragement I'm nearly there, just need to choose a cab to stick on it.

Not an easy job to find these days........

post-20303-0-55245400-1433665114_thumb.jpg

Then there's the little bits to sort out in my pile of spares.........

post-20303-0-06245100-1433665125.jpg

Mind you if its like that N Class I'll probably need to build a wobble into it ! :)

Speak soon

• Like 1

^^

Actually the way those full-size cabs were cut is not that different from the way I set about mine!

1) The best way for me was to make a vertical saw cut directly in front of the main group of roof panels, but only down as far as the rain channel strip above the cab doors.

2) From the base of the shell, another vertical saw cut, in line with the end of the cab handrail recess, all the way up to the rain channel. Not that this is not in line with the saw cut in (1), but slightly behind it.

3) All that's left is to make a small horizontal slit across the channel to join the two vertical cuts, and the entire cab is severed.

Lining up against the Dapol shell then indicates how far the GBL cab needs shifting forward.....

post-6879-0-59759000-1433673404_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-31235700-1433673570_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

^^

Actually the way those full-size cabs were cut is not that different from the way I set about mine!

1) The best way for me was to make a vertical saw cut directly in front of the main group of roof panels, but only down as far as the rain channel strip above the cab doors.

2) From the base of the shell, another vertical saw cut, in line with the end of the cab handrail recess, all the way up to the rain channel. Not that this is not in line with the saw cut in (1), but slightly behind it.

3) All that's left is to make a small horizontal slit across the channel to join the two vertical cuts, and the entire cab is severed.

Lining up against the Dapol shell then indicates how far the GBL cab needs shifting forward.....

Nurse ! Nurse ! Get the bandages ready

Brave man :)

Having severed the cab, the next job is to move the roof, complete with its cover panel. The aim is to get the rear of the panel to line up with the rear of the cabside window opening (see second pic).

This is slightly complicated by having to also separate the transverse bulkhead (inside) from the sides, without damaging it as I wanted to keep it for reinforcement.

1) Slit the roof horizontally along the rain channel, both sides, but try not to cut into the transverse bulkhead (first pic).

2) From the inside, slit the bulkhead at the point where it joins the sides. This allows the roof to lift off (see third pic).

3) The roof and bulkhead can then be moved forward about 1mm, making sure it doesn't go off-centre or lopsided. The rear of the bulkhead should be where the front of it used to be (fourth pic). Be generous with the solvent when rejoining - you need the structure to harden up.

4) You should end up with a cab that now looks very different from the original - the peak reaches further forward (last pic), which should mean less work is need to improve the cowl later....

As I mentioned earlier, the grade of plastic used by GBL is quite weird, having a very hard, slippery quality. Whilst this is not a problem if you're using a piercing saw, it is fairly resistant to a scalpel blade and will actually blunt the latter! The good news is that it reacts very well with Plastic Weld / butanone solvent, so be generous with it and let everything harden up.

post-6879-0-88058000-1433674560_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-26988100-1433674592_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-40203200-1433674614_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-55209700-1433674653_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-22875800-1433674679_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Use of the scalpel having applied to both GBL and Lima ...I have found little difference to the grade of plastic , I am at the stage ...why continue? As already stated if I want an excellent western .....buy the Dapol....the paradox created by this series ..,.some of the copies.can be easily ignored..others such as the western can be improvedI far beyond the original , and lastly some models are from such.a good source model the main requirement is a good working chassis....in short they were and are too good to ignore but are they really a boon to modellers rather than collectors. Will leave that last question unanswered at least for now

• Like 1

I am a bit puzzled. Been away on holiday so am going to have to get one of the mags from publisher, but when I look at website it is now showing the County as latest mag, but when in ASDA today they still has the diesel issue. Has the J39 come out yet or has it been delayed. Or are they putting out more advanced info on website? There was a problem getting on the website yesterday. Hopefully I will now only have to contact publisher for the 8F mag.

Use of the scalpel having applied to both GBL and Lima ...I have found little difference to the grade of plastic....

Now that is interesting - the Lima Class 40 shells that I have are from a fairly "soft" grade of plastic - easy to carve, slice, slit, etc. Very different from the GBL stuff, which has the consistency of a Fox's Glacier Mint.

How many times have I posted this now?

35  June 10th  J39

36  June 24th  County

37  July 8th  Lord Nelson

38  July 22nd  Ivatt 2MT

39  August 5th  A1/A2

40  August 19th  Brush Type 4

41  September 2nd  Locomotion No 1 (Possibly)

Edited by Smiffy2
  • Like 1

Recently they have only been showing details of next issue. I did not think I was away long enough to have to get more than one back issue, and suspect I might have been lucky there were still several copies in shop today.

How many times have I posted this now?

35  June 10th  J39

36  June 24th  County

37  July 8th  Lord Nelson

38  July 22nd  Ivatt 2MT

39  August 5th  A1/A2

40  August 19th  Brush Type 4

41  September 2nd  Locomotion No 1 (Possibly)

Dunno.

But it keeps shrinking!!!

:jester:

• Like 1

No.39 is going to be highly interesting as nobody can definitely say whether it will be an A1 or an A2. Might we be presented with both? Or an awful hybrid of the two?

Perhaps it was meant to read A2/1 at one point, and got sub-edited to complete incomprehensibility?  In any case, there is a point of view that that class was an awful hybrid created by a certain CME.  Treading on eggshells, to try and avoid starting off a religious war.....

Then again, they might just be doing a copy of "Tornado"...

No.39 is going to be highly interesting as nobody can definitely say whether it will be an A1 or an A2. Might we be presented with both? Or an awful hybrid of the two?

my bet an ex trix a2...if not a Hornby railroad tornado....as ever the real pleasure of this series?...the anticipation...
  • Like 2

Horsetan not tongue in cheek like most of my posts....any further developments with the western? My brassmasters etch kit arrived today...excellent service...I am currently awaiting the result of your drastic surgery as to where I deploy this enhancement. I have already offered one of the etched cabs to my initial reworked western...and yes well worth the extra outlay. I suspect however your efforts really will improve this model, hence my hesitation...

Horsetan not tongue in cheek like most of my posts....any further developments with the western? My brassmasters etch kit arrived today...excellent service...I am currently awaiting the result of your drastic surgery as to where I deploy this enhancement. I have already offered one of the etched cabs to my initial reworked western...and yes well worth the extra outlay. I suspect however your efforts really will improve this model, hence my hesitation...

I've got the other cab to do, and I've also discovered another flaw which might mean that the (more expensive) Dapol chassis is a better visual fit than the Heljan one....

So it will be alright then   : -)

It would be the first time they'd copied anything by Trix (that's not to say they won't), but I would expect a 'Tornado', seeing the target market.

(Pure speculation - It wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong!)

• Like 1