Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

post-24481-0-26309900-1514967532_thumb.jpg

I have an original SECR blackout notice, once displayed in a compartment.

It was puzzling that only certain lines were specified, with an instruction that

all blinds should be lowered at dusk and not raised until dawn.

It soon became obvious that all the specified lines could be seen from the sea !.

Also I have an original SECR painted panel with transfers from the Wellington brown era.

If anyone is interested I will take an image of it when the daylight improves.

Here is the panel mentioned above.

• Like 9

So tonight we had LBSCR tanks (E4, I3), an SECR N class (possibly the most apt model in SECR days) and finally a Bullied diesel (possibly the most inapt in BR days):

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm rather worried about the headcode on the diseasal ......... couldn't they find something a little more up market than a forty year old Birdcage set for His Majesty that day ?

The E4 in pre-grouping days would not have been compatible with a Birdcage set.

The ' Brighton ' was an air brake railway, the SECR vacuum.

There were a few dual-braked Brighton engines, usually at sheds that were adjacent to other companies' lines - Bradley does list the locos so fitted, but as I'm 12,000 miles away from my bookshelf, I can't check if/which E4s may have been so fitted...

Birdcages are going to be released in Malachite, tempting for me but not a must-have , might be one of those "I'll buy them if there are any left " purchases, did they receive it during or post war?  Or gradually during and after?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/cataloguelist.aspx?EraID=0&ScID=1000588&prTyID=1000636&supCatID=218

• Like 1

Well, that seems to answer what colour the roof should be ......... sort of ultra-violet mauve !

Ah yes, whoops! I’ve got a fly zapper in the BrewShed where I was working, gives good atmospheric lighting!

• Like 1

Purely speculation here guys, but does anyone have any thoughts or rationale behind the Malachite Green releases being charged at £63.71, when they are surely less intricate (no lining) than the SECR/Olive green ones which are £55.21?

Makes me wonder whether it's worth the effort to buy some Crimson ones and repaint them.. 

Hmmm

Edited by Jack P

I don't know if I am furthering the topic much by posting pics of my SECR set (arrived yesterday!) posed with several different SECR locos, but here goes anyway. :)

I know these would have been main line stock at the time the livery represents, but there are no really suitable locomotives for that, yet, so the next best thing would be the Hornby H class 0-4-4T, 308, which doesn't look entirely out of place at the head of the rake.

38708025985_7afdd41aec_b.jpg

The SECR C class 0-6-0 locomotives were really intended for goods work, but could be called upon to work secondary passenger services, or empty coaching stock moves, so, with that rationale, here are two of Bachmann's C class locos, 592 in the elaborate SECR livery, and 271 in the simplified livery that followed.

27827043949_5d1d630e9b_b.jpg

39574793442_474811e338_b.jpg

And finally, here's the 3-set in its entirety.

39574796422_8935522518_b.jpg

• Like 12

I don't know if I am furthering the topic much by posting pics of my SECR set (arrived yesterday!) posed with several different SECR locos, but here goes anyway. :)

I know these would have been main line stock at the time the livery represents, but there are no really suitable locomotives for that, yet, so the next best thing would be the Hornby H class 0-4-4T, 308, which doesn't look entirely out of place at the head of the rake.

The SECR C class 0-6-0 locomotives were really intended for goods work, but could be called upon to work secondary passenger services, or empty coaching stock moves, so, with that rationale, here are two of Bachmann's C class locos, 592 in the elaborate SECR livery, and 271 in the simplified livery that followed.

I wouldn't describe them as purely main line stock, even when new.  They were 'go anywhere stock' - anything from expresses through semi-fasts to outer suburban.  Anything except the inner suburban services.

Chris KT

Purely speculation here guys, but does anyone have any thoughts or rationale behind the Malachite Green releases being charged at £63.71, when they are surely less intricate (no lining) than the SECR/Olive green ones which are £55.21?

Makes me wonder whether it's worth the effort to buy some Crimson ones and repaint them..

Hmmm

I did see a website quoting a rrp of 74.95 thant makes 225 before discounts etc. Which for a plain livery is a little steep I think. But I think its a price were have to live with. I wonder if they made more SECR and SR livery models than BR to make them last longer on the shelves so they didnt have to make another set this year?

• RMweb Gold

Purely speculation here guys, but does anyone have any thoughts or rationale behind the Malachite Green releases being charged at £63.71, when they are surely less intricate (no lining) than the SECR/Olive green ones which are £55.21?

Hmmm

If you're looking for Crimson ones to repaint then Gaugemaster has them reduced at the mo for forty quid

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=B39-602&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Bachmann+39-602

Post free too!

Cheers,

Keith

If you're looking for Crimson ones to repaint then Gaugemaster has them reduced at the mo for forty quid

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=B39-602&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Bachmann+39-602

Post free too!

Cheers,

Keith

A word of caution for those considering repainting the Birdcages.

The door droplights are part of the glazing strip, thus each would have to painted separately.

Not beyond the skill of the experienced, but a pretty tedious task. ( assuming the glazing can be removed easily )

• RMweb Premium

How many Pecketts does it take to tow a SR cast concrete footbridge into position? ;)

Hmmm

Completely rational : they've got to recoup the cost of whatever went wrong with the Maunsell green composites !

More than he's got by the look of it  -  I'm sure that's an Austerity there, an' who knows what's in front of that !!?!

3 x Pecketts, 1 x ex-GW Pannier tank, 2 x PO Austerities, 1 x Sentinel diesel, 1 x ex-class 05, and a USA dock tank! My expanding industrial fleet, soon to be joined by an Andrew Barclay. :D

• Like 2