Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

Keep a good eye on those springs, the carpet monsters love them.....

Martyn.

PS,   I have used this form of springing a few times and with a bit of weight added they definitely seem to ride smoother. Don't you just love this 7mm stuff, I do.

Edited by 3 link

• RMweb Premium

Will you have room in the axle boxes to allow those bearings to move or does the axlebox move up and down separate to the (cosmetic) leaf springs on these?

In 4mm I have a mixture of both; using waisted bearings and drilling the axlebox over size to allow for movement inside a fixed axlebox seems easiest, but there is something extra satisfying about seeing the axle box move up and down with the springing.

Am I correct in thinking there is a 7mm underframe kit with working leaf springs?  Now that could tempt me to have a play in the senior scale.....

• Like 1

Will you have room in the axle boxes to allow those bearings to move or does the axlebox move up and down separate to the (cosmetic) leaf springs on these?

In 4mm I have a mixture of both; using waisted bearings and drilling the axlebox over size to allow for movement inside a fixed axlebox seems easiest, but there is something extra satisfying about seeing the axle box move up and down with the springing.

Am I correct in thinking there is a 7mm underframe kit with working leaf springs?  Now that could tempt me to have a play in the senior scale.....

Peco do working leaf springs made with a sort of flexi-plastic where MMP use individual phosphor bronze leaf springs if I remember correctly. Come and have a play, 7mm is the new OO.

Martyn.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Keep a good eye on those springs, the carpet monsters love them.....

Martyn.

PS,   I have used this form of springing a few times and with a bit of weight added they definitely seem to ride smoother. Don't you just love this 7mm stuff, I do.

Oh yes, had a couple of close calls with those springs...which are very similar to the carpet tile colour!

Enjoying a little experimentation. There's madness in my method though. Two wagons now fully rolling and fitted with buffers. I'm going to have a play with couplings next...the shortlist is DG and Dingham. Sadly neither AJ or three link could be with us tonight ;-p

Clay now with added bufferingness.

post-6675-0-63356100-1417991218_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts so far are to fix the axlebox to the bearing/hornblock thingy. That leaves just the springs to contemplate at another stage, although I can't see why they couldn't be boingy too.

• RMweb Premium

Peco do working leaf springs made with a sort of flexi-plastic where MMP use individual phosphor bronze leaf springs if I remember correctly. Come and have a play, 7mm is the new OO.

Martyn.

Are the PECO springs available separately Martyn?

I think we'll get Mark trying 7mm at some point...after all it's easy to walk away after building just one wagon. Hobby Holidays does a mineral with fully detailed underframe with nothing left off. I think he should start there!

• RMweb Premium

Hobby Holidays does a mineral with fully detailed underframe with nothing left off. I think he should start there!

That's the one I was thinking of; had a look at the one on their stand a while ago.

Having said that MMP's 16T mineral looks a bit tempting;  I'd have one in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm then - they'd fit together like Russian dolls.

• Like 1

Are the PECO springs available separately Martyn?

I think we'll get Mark trying 7mm at some point...after all it's easy to walk away after building just one wagon. Hobby Holidays does a mineral with fully detailed underframe with nothing left off. I think he should start there!

Not to sure regarding the Peco springs, it could be worth a phone call to Seaton, after all business is business.  You should be able to fit a "floating" axlebox under the leaf springs the same way they are fitted in the Parkside kits.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

I was worried you had screwed it to the bench...

Ah, bench filed off...

Hey Paul...now that the van is half built I thought I'd read the instructions. The following bit of text caught my eye:

post-6675-0-35584600-1417993752.jpg

It's official, the LNER is "a little slow".

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's activities will include boxing up another pair of 4mm Spamcans ready for posting in the morning. The overall sales could take a while, particularly as I don't want to flood the market! The other job is putting these plates on a rebuilt Spam and applying the appropriate numbers.

post-6675-0-61355200-1418045150_thumb.jpg

One of many part finished renaming jobs to complete before the sale.

• RMweb Premium

hmmm.

Question.

So you have to weight it to get the right ride height?

How does that fit with the given weight per axle you are trying to achieve.

I'm glad you asked that.

I think it will be a case of weighing the finished van and then adding extra to suit. Will leave the roof off so that extra can be added inside.

I have some concerns that the springs may be too soft though. Will have to weight (!) and see.