Somewhere in the Cotswolds.A little GWR branch terminus

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely stunning work Allan.You realise how much having a backscene enhances your work though.I can see you becoming one of RMwebs most 'liked' members !

Absolutely stunning work Allan.You realise how much having a backscene enhances your work though.I can see you becoming one of RMwebs most 'liked' members !

Hi Robin.

Over the years,that old brick wall played host to many a layout in evey scale imaginable!

It was a garage come workshop and at only 18'X 9' it was the only thing that stood between me and St Pancras!

Hi Allan I've always been impressed you modelling, I remember seeing one of your offering at Beer many years ago but the name of it eludes me.

81C

That would have been 'Candleford Mill' that got as far a Central Hall where the late Mr Pritchard bought it (Peco), had a special room built for it in his Modelarama Exhibition where it stood for 17 years before the Pyruma stonework began to crumble and one very good reason why I stopped using it - remember Pecoscene Modelling compound? well that was the same stuff and Peco took it off the market after what happened to Candleford Mill.

Allan

Great to see you on here - one of my all-time modelling heroes! Though I never worked out which I enjoyed more - the photos of your modelling or the "interesting" tales of how you put them together!

Always thought the reason you stopped using Pyruma had more to do with the time you set the model, a teatowel and the dustbin on fire after attempting to cure the Pyruma in an oven.... :-)

Richard

Allan

Great to see you on here - one of my all-time modelling heroes! Though I never worked out which I enjoyed more - the photos of your modelling or the "interesting" tales of how you put them together!

Always thought the reason you stopped using Pyruma had more to do with the time you set the model, a teatowel and the dustbin on fire after attempting to cure the Pyruma in an oven.... :-)

Richard

Good grief Richard, that was nearly 40 years ago!!

Yes I remember the article well - 'Home Cooked Mill' written for the 'Constructor' when Steve Stratten was Editor - his office was a broom cupboard you know!

Regards.

Allan

I remember those "constructor" articles well. They were one of the inspirations for my first attempts at making model buildings. I even tried using the fireclay technique and my models won me a prize at my school hobbies exhibition. Once Model railway Constructor went I started with MRJ so haven't seen much of your work since. Glad to see you are still producing such atmospheric masterpieces :good: .

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Allan, interesting that they are Wills sheets. I've been looking at various options and they do seem to have the kind of relief I'm after. I'll get some and try them out.

Alan....How do you paint and weather the stonework please?

Easier to demonstrate than to explain but I'll have a go!

All the stonework used here was WILLS RANDOM STONE SHEETS (SMP 200) where I first brushed them over with COLRON LIGHT OAK WOOD DYE which acts both as a primer and the base colour to the plastic sheets.

Working a sheet at a time, lay it flat then aim a very light dust coat of ACRYLIC MATT BLACK up and under the stone courses but don't over do it.

When this has dried, rub talcum powder well into the joints then scrape off the surplus.

Using the COLRON ENGLISH LIGHT OAK again DAB, NOT BRUSH, this over the stonework with a large FLAT modelling brush where it will soak into the talcum powder and because the dye is corrosive, it will adhere the talc between the courses permanantly.

However, you can use different shades of wood dye if you wish but it MUST be COLRON as this is spirit based and not water based which will just run off the plastic. - oh, and the matt black MUST be acrylic as the dye will not attack it.

I hope this helps but try it out first on a spare sheet.

With regards.

Allan.

Archived