A1 models Hunslet 1124hp Bo-Bo

Hi all,

I'm due to start building some more industrial locomotives in 4mm shortly, and thought I'd share (for the first time) some build information on RMweb.

First up, I'm going to post progress on an A1 models Hunslet Bo-Bo which I have recently obtained. 

I have a feeling this kit is no longer in production, and it was certainly the first I've seen. It appeared on ebay at a very reasonable buy-it-now price and only lasted 4 hours before I spotted it. 

I've done about 4 hours work so far.

Here it is in its current state:

DSC02025_zps63075ec8.jpg

It's a mainly etched brass construction, which goes together smoothly so far. 

Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a loss with the chassis - I think I may opt for SPUDs or the equivalent.

This is what you get (along with no mention of the chassis construction in the instructions)

DSC02027_zpscb8c4e1a.jpg

Some etched brass frames with slot and tabs (easy enough to work out - but is it worth the hassle?)

I think Its intended to be run with two motors, which may be a bit over-kill for my requirements.

DSC02026_zpsdee95463.jpg

Some chunky WM bogie side-frames and bushes.

If anyone has any experience with this kit then please comment, as I do have a tendency to wonder away and return to difficult areas of  projects - as we all no doubt do...

Paul A. 

Hiya, I did wonder why I recognised this kit, I got one ready built off our club sales stand a few years back, it's sat up my loft as we speak, I can post a couple of pics tomoz of it, as far as I know the one I have has a HO switcher or small bo-bo chassis under it.

• RMweb Premium

Two Black Beetles would be the best way of powering this, my scratchbuilt one has two Tenshodos but needs its gearsets replacing at regular intervals. The kit wasn't designed for anything else as far as I know. One of our customers (fed up with waiting for a kit from us) has obtained some alternative (better) etches from PHD for this kit, Pete may be able to supply them.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

I can post a couple of pics tomoz of it, as far as I know the one I have has a HO switcher or small bo-bo chassis under it.

Hi Dave,

Yes please,that'd be super - good to know there's others out there too

Two Black Beetles would be the best way of powering this, my scratchbuilt one has two Tenshodos but needs its gearsets replacing at regular intervals. The kit wasn't designed for anything else as far as I know. One of our customers (fed up with waiting for a kit from us) has obtained some alternative (better) etches from PHD for this kit, Pete may be able to supply them.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Hi Mike, 

Funnily enough I've just seen that you are "thanked" in the original instructions for your assistance in compiling the kit. 

Looking at the etches (2nd posted photo) it looks as if some kind of chassis frame is included (but with no intended/suggested/hinted at explanation), which would also explain the addition of axle bushes in the kit. 

Cheers for warning me off Tenshodos, I'll keep my eyes open for some 32mmWB Black Beetles 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

The thanks didn't extend to returning my patterns for the moulded parts but I will be doing new ones when we get round to it. Some parts are common to the 75T 0-6-0DE which is at a fiarly advanced stage now. PH etch includes some better parts for the bogies.

Michael Edge

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

did not get fed up waiting Mike, I see you had a full job list so thought I would go direct. Hope you manage to get around to building the kit I sent.

I did get Pete Harvey to do me new bogie frames, front grill, and cab fronts as later modified, bogies were Black Beatles, made to order, for correct axle spacing.

Good news on the Normandy park version progress, will be in for a couple of them.

Hi all,

I'm due to start building some more industrial locomotives in 4mm shortly, and thought I'd share (for the first time) some build information on RMweb.

First up, I'm going to post progress on an A1 models Hunslet Bo-Bo which I have recently obtained. 

I have a feeling this kit is no longer in production, and it was certainly the first I've seen. It appeared on ebay at a very reasonable buy-it-now price and only lasted 4 hours before I spotted it. 

I've done about 4 hours work so far.

Here it is in its current state:

DSC02025_zps63075ec8.jpg

It's a mainly etched brass construction, which goes together smoothly so far. 

Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a loss with the chassis - I think I may opt for SPUDs or the equivalent.

This is what you get (along with no mention of the chassis construction in the instructions)

DSC02027_zpscb8c4e1a.jpg

Some etched brass frames with slot and tabs (easy enough to work out - but is it worth the hassle?)

I think Its intended to be run with two motors, which may be a bit over-kill for my requirements.

DSC02026_zpsdee95463.jpg

Some chunky WM bogie side-frames and bushes.

If anyone has any experience with this kit then please comment, as I do have a tendency to wonder away and return to difficult areas of  projects - as we all no doubt do...

Paul A.

Hi Paul, I'd have a look at Hollywood Foundry down in Oz, they manufacture all sorts of bogies, and even make complete bespoke chassis.

I have no connection other than being a very satisfied customer!

And Geoff is a very good bloke who frequents these pages.

Cheers

Old Time Workshop own the A1 Models standard gauge range of shunter kits now, including this kit. It hasn't been re-introduced yet AFAIK. He was going to sell one to me a few years ago as a test etch but despite regular e-mails it never happened.

The thanks didn't extend to returning my patterns for the moulded parts

Michael Edge

Sorry to hear that, the only moldings which appear on mine are the bogie sides - with SKF branding on the axle boxes, very nice

did not get fed up waiting Mike, I see you had a full job list so thought I would go direct. Hope you manage to get around to building the kit I sent.

I did get Pete Harvey to do me new bogie frames, front grill, and cab fronts as later modified, bogies were Black Beatles, made to order, for correct axle spacing.

Good news on the Normandy park version progress, will be in for a couple of them.

Ah yes, I was considering updating the kit to represent a Corus example as there's a lot more reference material available, but it's even more out of my era than the "as delivered" version is...

I'll post some more pics of progress tonight 

Paul A. 

Hi Paul,

I got bogies from Motorbogies.com who order from Aus, they are Black Beatles,

34mm axle spacing with 14mm wheels (8ft6in, 3ft6in dia from the plans)

Look forward to the pictures

For interested parties try Simon at Old time workshop, he did me a batch of 6 a while ago.

Paul, send me a pm and I will try to give you more info

Fred

Just a quick update on the body.

Current state of play:

DSC02077_zpsbc19b0a6.jpg

I've completed one bonnet apart from the exhaust and Hunslet plate, the second one is awaiting some more etched grill material as not enough was included. 

DSC02076_zpsd7d31536.jpg

I'll need to add the buffer beams next, which are laminated to scale thickness (4 per beam)

DSC02078_zpsfcaecc5f.jpg

The keen eyed will spot there's a gap of 1-2mm between where the step boxes should end (and line up with the footplate recess). 

I thought I might have assembled them wrongly, as the side face of the box is longer than the folded front-face (the whole assembly needing to be turned through 90 degrees), but on reviewing the instructions It looks like I've done it "right"....

DSC02079_zpsb4f92d4d.jpg

So far as a livery is concerned I'm currently at a loss (though admittedly havn't looked in earnest) for any indication of the initial colour scheme.

From a B/W photo it looks like all-over yellow?  

Cheers for the help so far, 

Paul A. 

HI, can you please double check those front steps?  I'd trust your gut feeling more than the instructions, and I agree something just doesn't look quite right there.  From the picture it looks like the steps are set back under the footplate (as on the red line below). Please check the measurements where I've marked in green, is it a case of the right hand steps should go on the left and they're not set back under the footplate?!

post-4435-0-55908600-1364728169.jpg

Having looked at the instruction drawing and looked at the picture I think the piece that you have shown in your last picture is the opposite side of the step that you all ready have in place with the slots for mounting the step rungs in.

Pete

Hi Paul

I believe Pete is correct, only the original loco #70, has the inner step holes, and as Pete says above, probably you have the step assembly on the wrong corner.

There is a slight setback of the steps to the main footplate, but only probably for weld thickness. The normal step arrangement on the Hunslets is as on the Janus photo above, #70 has additional step holes on the inner transverse bulkhead as you have fitted.

There is an overhang of the footplate forward of the buffer beam

Fredpost-7351-0-51529100-1364752414.jpg

HI, can you please double check those front steps?  I'd trust your gut feeling more than the instructions, and I agree something just doesn't look quite right there.  From the picture it looks like the steps are set back under the footplate (as on the red line below). Please check the measurements where I've marked in green, is it a case of the right hand steps should go on the left and they're not set back under the footplate?!

Thank you for taking the time to explain with a photo, it makes it a LOT clearer! 

I agree, definitely the wrong way round. Easy enough to fix. 

Hi Paul

I believe Pete is correct, only the original loco #70, has the inner step holes, and as Pete says above, probably you have the step assembly on the wrong corner.

There is a slight setback of the steps to the main footplate, but only probably for weld thickness. The normal step arrangement on the Hunslets is as on the Janus photo above, #70 has additional step holes on the inner transverse bulkhead as you have fitted.

There is an overhang of the footplate forward of the buffer beam

That would make a lot of sense, as I couldn't find any photos of inner step holes - I thought this might have been a modification when the locos were overhauled, but if number 70 has them only then that settles that!

Thanks for the livery info too, should be easy to get a colour match.

I've got an old photo of a Janus in this livery with  BSC branding and black lettering which is hopefully more accurate than the AFRPS loco. 

All the input is appreciated as always  :good: 

Paul A. 

Hi Paul,

Yep, they were delivered in standard BSC livery, with the noodle"S" in black, if you ask Mike Edge nicely, he will send you an original builders photo in bw.

The AFRPS Janus was painted in as close as they could manage, mix.

Fred

It wasn't only #70 that had inner step holes, there's a picture of #73 that clearly shows them in 'A pictorial survey of standard gauge industrial diesels around Britain' a Bradford Barton book from 1977 (how much of a geek do you have to be to buy a book with that title?!). 

Is it possible the inner step holes were on one side only or perhaps removed during overhaul?

I'd post up a scan from the book but I think it might breach copyright.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, 

At last some progress to report!

Thanks to Beagle1 (Fred) I now have some motor bogies with which to power the loco. 

The etches include a rather complex way of manufacturing your own motor bogies but this was deemed pretty complex - it didn't seem like an especially strong design. 

I have simply used the brass fold-up outer bogie face and added the cast detail (one lump each side) to it. 

DSC02216_zpsbb562ad1.jpg

It's a bit bodged, but looks fine in the flesh, and the extruded white platic is hidden from view in any case.

The bogie mounts are under the cab - 10BA bolts fastened through the floor with a nut, with washers for spacers before the bogie is fitted and the final nut spun on hard.

DSC02215_zps0206e2db.jpg

Next job is to remove some of the doors on the side and re-fit (they're spaced evenly, not like the real thing..)

Then hand rails, horns, fuel tank etc. 

But at least it runs now , my thanks again to Fred for providing me with a means and a way!

Paul A. 

Archived