Great Western Railway Toplight Carriages

As for 70ft Collett stock, there is only the South Wales stock (which are 70ft versions of above). There are a few end challenges with some bow, some flat, some one of each, but there are enough diagrams to suit most trains.

Mike Wiltshire

Not too go too far off topic from the original topic, but one solution would be to include replaceable ends, kind of like the way the current Collett's are done.  The ends simply slide off when the body is removed from the chassis, and there is little to no visible gap.  This way, only molds for the different ends would need to be created and then two sets could be included with the coach for the modeller to select the version they want?  Maybe it's not as simple as it sounds...

Livery possibilities, although I haven't seen photos of the 57' Colletts with all of them:

Brown and cream with pseudo-panelling as built (mid '20s)

Brown and cream with crest - no lining, single lining, double lining variations (late '20s to '30s)

Brown and cream with shirtbutton - single or double lining variants ('35 to '40s)

Overall brown with shirtbutton (wartime)

Overall brown with crest (wartime)

Brown and Cream with Hawksworth livery (post war)

Brown and cream debranded (early BR)

Crimson and cream (BR)

Maroon (BR)

Some of these liveries might be a bit daring for a RTR manufacturer

Adrian

My favorite has always been the Hawksworth livery.  IMHO I think Hornby should, at the very least re-release the existing Collett's in this livery, as the only option I've found so far to purchase them is from our friend(?) Gostude on eBay.

Not too go too far off topic from the original topic, but one solution would be to include replaceable ends, kind of like the way the current Collett's are done.  The ends simply slide off when the body is removed from the chassis, and there is little to no visible gap.  This way, only molds for the different ends would need to be created and then two sets could be included with the coach for the modeller to select the version they want?  Maybe it's not as simple as it sounds...

No, because the roof matches the end shape - a bow ended coach has a bow end to the roof, while a flat ended coach has a flat end to it. Either there is also a replaceable roof, or the bow end inset also has the roof end, with all the seam line and matching issues that implies. One of my projects is to build at least one of the 70' coaches with a bow end and a flat end.

Adrian

No, because the roof matches the end shape - a bow ended coach has a bow end to the roof, while a flat ended coach has a flat end to it. Either there is also a replaceable roof, or the bow end inset also has the roof end, with all the seam line and matching issues that implies.

Adrian

Still... a roof and ends should be far easier than a whole coach...?

Ah well... back to the Toplights...

lets see some 57' and 70' varieties from Hornby or Bachmann announced next year!

• Like 1

My favorite has always been the Hawksworth livery.  IMHO I think Hornby should, at the very least re-release the existing Collett's in this livery, as the only option I've found so far to purchase them is from our friend(?) Gostude on eBay.

I'm not sure why Hornby would want to choose this livery anytime soon. Bachmann has reintroduced their 60' Collett coaches in Hawksworth livery for 2013/14. (They match the Dukedog.)

Anyone wanting *something* in a Hawksworth livery, will be well served by these.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Concertina coaches would be ideal for plastic injection moulding with recessed doors and moulded handles etc., and people already accept lozenge windows. They are a niche product but they proably have a bigger potential market than the Belle Observation Saloon and 12-wheel Pullmans. 

• Like 1

Concertina coaches would be ideal for plastic injection moulding with recessed doors and moulded handles etc., and people already accept lozenge windows. They are a niche product but they proably have a bigger potential market than the Belle Observation Saloon and 12-wheel Pullmans. 

I am not convinced from a production perspective. Unless there have been significant recent machine developments I am not aware of (and there could be), moulded items with the regular recesses like Concertinas have a tendency to stick in the mould and cause ejection problems, slowing down the line and incresing costs. In my toy marketing days the NPD team were constantly frustrated in having to 'modify' thier prototypes as when tested, they stuck fast when machine were run up to full speed due to the irregular shapes.

MIke Wiltshire

• Like 1

I am only familiar with whitemetal casting. Would 'sticking in the mould' apply even if the back of the coach side were perfectly flat? When I see some of the irregular shapes mass produced for ink jet printers and other household things, I would have thought a concertina coach would be a doddle. In fact had 'Concertina' coaches had been a necessary part of late GWR and Western Region life I am sure manufacturers would have found a way of producing them, afterall a moulded loco body has far more complication.

• Like 3

I am only familiar with whitemetal casting. Would 'sticking in the mould' apply even if the back of the coach side were perfectly flat? When I see some of the irregular shapes mass produced for ink jet printers and other household things, I would have thought a concertina coach would be a doddle. In fact had 'Concertina' coaches had been a necessary part of late GWR and Western Region life I am sure manufacturers would have found a way of producing them, afterall a moulded loco body has far more complication.

Loco bodies are usually made up in several sections, hand assembled o complete, compared to coach bodies which, of late, have been one piece.

Time will tell

Mike Wiltshire

I'm not sure why Hornby would want to choose this livery anytime soon. Bachmann has reintroduced their 60' Collett coaches in Hawksworth livery for 2013/14. (They match the Dukedog.)

Anyone wanting *something* in a Hawksworth livery, will be well served by these.

Agreed, but having multiple types of coaches in the same train is the Great Western way!  Bow end, sunshine and hawkswrth all in the same tain...  with matching liveries... yay!  :locomotive:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just sent details of this Poll and the Poll regarding GWR Brake vans to Bachmann, via the collectors club. Here's hoping!

Sadly Bachmann have also advised that they have no plans in this direction as well :-(

We need some tactical lobbying here!

Sadly Bachmann have also advised that they have no plans in this direction as well :-(

Perhaps contacting Dapol and suggesting the Toplights?

Dave & crew don't seem to be afraid to tackle almost anything these days!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Maybe they are just not showing their hand? I have asked them in the past about the 64xx always to be met with a "we can't discuss our plans but thanks for the feedback" type replies. Then look what turned up this year.

It is disappointing to hear this coming from them. I would have thought Bachmann of all companies would have seen the great benefit to bringing another excellent GWR carriage range into the RTR market. Toplights are something that would look wonderful behind the City Class.

However they may be playing caution considering Hornby has recently been working on their carriage ranges and made tremendous leaps. I doubt they want to start working on this range only for Hornby to announce it as well. I also imagine they don't want a repeat of the GWR Shunter truck....

Edited by Garethp8873

So I messaged Hornby regarding the possibility of re-releasing the Collett's in the Hawksworth livery...

Hello A number of years ago, the GWR Collett coaches were released in the Hawksworth livery. These coaches were only available as part of a set with a locomotive. With the recent release of the Hawksworth coaches themselves, I would like to suggest a re-release of the Collett coaches (now in the Railroad range) with the Hawksworth livery again. The reason for the request is that the GWR was notorious for mixing coaches and rarely, if ever, ran rakes of matching coaches. Having the Collett coaches in the Hawksworth livery would allow for more variety when combining the new Hawksworth coaches, the Collett's in Hawksworth livery and also the Bachmann 'Sunshine' Collett's in Hawksworth. Thank you for your time and consideration!

And their response:

Dear Mr. Gentle,

Thank you for taking the time to send through your suggestion.

I will certainly pass this through to our Marketing team to be considered for the future.

Kind regards,

Adam Jones

Customer Care

So... I won't hold my breath, but I am certainly taking that as a potential positive :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for an easy build, all plastic toplight full brake there is a mailCoach/Coopercraft K22 on eBay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unbuilt-Mailcoach-CooperCraft-GWR-Dia-K22-Toplight-Full-Brake-Coach-Kit-MC08-/261234162729?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd2c4fc29

Or if you want something later a MAJ K42 with pre printed sides

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAJ-MODELS-KIT-for-a-GWR-57-PASSENGER-FULL-BRAKE-COACH-Lot-1535-00g-/290934104858?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43bd06231a

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Anyone looking for an easy build, all plastic toplight full brake there is a mailCoach/Coopercraft K22 on eBay at the moment.

Or if you want something later a MAJ K42 with pre printed sides

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAJ-MODELS-KIT-for-a-GWR-57-PASSENGER-FULL-BRAKE-COACH-Lot-1535-00g-/290934104858?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43bd06231a

Mike Wiltshire

What do those old MAJ kits build like.Have you got any running on your layout Mike.

What do those old MAJ kits build like.Have you got any running on your layout Mike.

I built many before I became competent in brass. It is basically a plastic box with clear sides and the self adhesive just stick on. I have several but only one still with the pre printed sides. Although the sides are 'flat' I add relief with hinges from microstrip. The printed door/grab handles can be drilled and Comet's inserted and you do not really notice the original printing. I have replaced the others with Comet sides and widened the rain gutter with microstrip, purely because I wanted more detail. The bogies are excellent and I bought many sets for use under other coaches. As this is a full brake, visually they are better than the Bachmann as they do not require the full length footsteps.

They are basically an Airfix/Ratio type kit with stick on sides. A quick fix that can be assembled in a couple of evenings.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium
  • 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back in 2013 I started this topic and also a Poll - I can't find the Poll today....

Interestingly, there is a "Present your case"  page in the current issue of Model Rail (Page 153) about the Toplight carriages.

It's a nice idea and clearly a range of Toplight would be very welcome at Henley on Thames, as well as other layouts I'm sure. 

It would be great to see Bachmann pick this up (no comments about time delays at blue box please), or maybe its more along Dapol lines. I guess Hornby are unlikely at the moment to add another range of GWR carriages - but never say never!

The complications of changes over the years still remains an issue - but hey! as long as there are a few carriages appropriate for the 1930's I will be fine :-)

Apologies, I don't know the author Simon Moppet from Oxfordshire. 

Interesting..... maybe tbc who knows!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, absolutely agree that it would be great to see some of these produced RTR, they would really fill a gap.

I think manufacturers should be able to handle a good number of variations with modern tooling. (They don't have to do them all!)

Here is a link to the Model Rail Poll if you want to make your opinion known:

https://www.model-rail.co.uk/gwr-toplight-pyc

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

It would be great to see Bachmann pick this up (no comments about time delays at blue box please), or maybe its more along Dapol lines. I guess Hornby are unlikely at the moment to add another range of GWR carriages - but never say never!

I was surprised (pleasantly so) when the red box supplier offered the Colletts so soon after the Hawksworths.

• Agree 2

On 11/05/2013 at 10:26, Coach bogie said:

I am not convinced from a production perspective. Unless there have been significant recent machine developments I am not aware of (and there could be), moulded items with the regular recesses like Concertinas have a tendency to stick in the mould and cause ejection problems, slowing down the line and incresing costs. In my toy marketing days the NPD team were constantly frustrated in having to 'modify' thier prototypes as when tested, they stuck fast when machine were run up to full speed due to the irregular shapes.

MIke Wiltshire

I reckon Concertinas would be a good candidate for 3D printing. Does anybody do them?