Dunster. OOgauge on the GWR West Somerset line.

Sasquatch

Hi Shaun

I remember trying to follow this last year when I was having severe internet problems so it's good to be able to browse at leisure now. Some great shots in that last post of a lovely layout that depicts the GWR perfectly, it is pictures like those that inspire me to do the best I can to achieve that same element of realism.

Thanks  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shaun

Cracking photos and amazing detail/ :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum: Especially like the greenhouse and the tractor.

In the background of the last photo is what appears to be a jeep, can you post a photo of that please.

Duncan

Sure! :sungum: This was an Airfix model until it got chopped up and detailed as one of the specials that got dropped into Arnheim during WWII.

post-8964-0-89663700-1392712931_thumb.jpgpost-8964-0-02448000-1392712956_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-48767600-1392712983_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jaz. Not one of my best models by far. Have always loved building military vehicles. This goes back to the days before the trains. As kids all the boys in the street had boxes of those  Airfix   soldiers. I purchased a £9 Lima train set from my grans Mail order catalogue with my weekly £1 pocket money just to play soldiers with. That's how it all began!

I still buy Airfix kits when I see them at flea markets they make for good conversions and scrap!

• Like 3

Sasquatch, ref post 81

I think I worded it wrongly, I meant generically if anyone photographs their work it can make it look poor showing it in stark clarity when done close up, I didn't mean yours was poor, but in fact the complete opposite. t actually thought your photograph was blurry and clear in just the right  places, and made the best of the model. As I said the face especially in picture three on the left hand figure is really well done.

Must proof read my writing more carefully.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd just throw up a couple of pics before hitting the sack.

They're seconds I'm afraid things like funny angles and horrid back drops but they kind of give an insight into that little piece of Somerset in my attic.

Toy trains in the roof space to be precise. :senile:

post-8964-0-17361500-1393059270_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-26891800-1393059293_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-93369300-1393059361_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-47822000-1393059383_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9

Hello Shaun, I have just gone through the 4 pages of your thread, fantastic atmospheric modelling, I like the video of the whole layout "and the swing music", on this video I think the level crossing gate speeds are a lot better and a more realistic speed than the other video in the post....can you do a half hour video in a position that gives us an eye angle of just watching trains go by, and stick some more of the excellent music with it.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful work with us.

Happy modelling

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craig.

Thanks for your kind comments. The music is what we sometimes blare out on a nice day with the windows open. It just seemed fitting to use as that's what was playing when we were working on the green houses and trees on the extension board!

Watching the trains go by is my specialty, Can stack em in the fiddle yard and just watch them trundle past all evening some days.

It's good to have a layout on which you can run just about anything, shunt realistically and just watch the trains stretch their legs.     

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

hi Jaz

The platform edges are ratio! It was a bit risky putting up that fisheye close up of the station. The lamps are a bit bright !

One thing I should reveal is that  I like my models to look like models. And try to create a picture with atmosphere more than anything else. that's why there are more pics of passengers waiting for trains and empty scenes than there are trains. My favorite train of the lot is the LNER twin set in the picture on the banner. Why I hear you ask. It has that austere look about it which you see in many wartime photos of kids being sent to the countryside for the duration! Pure atmosphere!!!!!!!  

• Like 2

Really like that set of photos, especially the one of the platform. Always good to see models from different, everyday/non-trackside angles. Also now working out how to illuminate what I'm building, have already noted your fine work on the signals even the ground discs.

Look forward to seeing more,

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon.

There is a small Bachmann train set controller under there. The lamps are 12V wired off of the speed regulator on the controller which makes them dimable! Set to a low setting prolongs the life of the tiny bulbs! The station lamps are 6V wired in series. The only thing to watch out for is to not overload the controller with too many lamps. ie; 20 bulbs at 0.25amps =4 amps! controller rated at 2.5 amps!

Controller cost $5 at a flea market!  

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting your shunting snap. It took me a while to realize that the crossover points have been lifted to the East end of the goods shed!! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great job! Have been to Dunster a couple times and you have done a great job in recreating it. Wish I was closer so I could see it in person, but OR is quite a bit away from PA.

• RMweb Premium

Gave you a funny rating Jaz as its about a 8 day drive, each way!

The furthest I traveled to a show was Portland and the furthest driven in one day was down to San Francisco and back after my son missed his plane last year due to someone writing his arrival date on the calendar!

Thom, next time we are over the pond we hope to visit both Dunster and Goathland as I have seen neither! we probably gonna pop in on Jaz & Kal too for a cuppa and a guided tour of Arboretum Valley!!

Dunster is ready to go back together I just need to reconfigure the point work in the fiddle yard so that it will serve both layouts.

Here's the usual Sasquatch indecisive bit..............

Do I make it a branch, which is prototypical, a continuous loop or..... a huge figure 8????? Ummmmmmmmm......

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Wow  .........................   what a read  .................   I am so glad you pointed me at Dunster     ..........................    Wow   .......................

Gave you a funny rating Jaz as its about a 8 day drive, each way!
The furthest I traveled to a show was Portland and the furthest driven in one day was down to San Francisco and back after my son missed his plane last year due to someone writing his arrival date on the calendar!

Thom, next time we are over the pond we hope to visit both Dunster and Goathland as I have seen neither! we probably gonna pop in on Jaz & Kal too for a cuppa and a guided tour of Arboretum Valley!!

Dunster is ready to go back together I just need to reconfigure the point work in the fiddle yard so that it will serve both layouts.
Here's the usual Sasquatch indecisive bit..............
Do I make it a branch, which is prototypical, a continuous loop or..... a huge figure 8????? Ummmmmmmmm......

You were right about ideas for the planning of the new [non] sandwich ....   a veritable feast of information   .....   there is so much, I am getting Retina Inde-digestion

I am going to lie down now and contemplate my inadequate skills and how I might find a system to revisit and reference the vast number of interesting ideas here   ......