Aylesbury Town

David Bigcheeseplant

I thought I would start a new thread on the Risborough & District MRC to model Aylesbury Town station 1946-1966 in P4. We will be at Risex exhibition in February where we will have the model as in progress.

We spent the whole of today on construction and wired the trackwork and sprayed the sides of the rails and blown over with the airbrush the sleepers. We can then lay and ballast in one hit in the next few weeks.

The trackwork is Exactoscale chairs on wooden sleepers, and now it is painted looks fantastic, the rails were sprayed with Phoenix rusty rails which really is a mid brown colour with not a hint of red or orange and looks spot on in the colour stakes, the sleepers were sprayed Phoenix sleeper grime.

The scenic section is only ten feet and there are only five turnouts, we are modelling just the platform area and loco shed area as in the photo below.

David

aylesburyphoto32.jpg

Would I be right in thinking the R&D MRC produced an Aylesbury layout before? I know there was one for the Bletchley branch (since gone), but I had a feeling there was an Aylesbury one too. I could be very wrong mind!

Not as far as I was aware and I have been a member since 1981, I am surprised no one has modelled the station before as the regions and stock you can get away with is very wide GWR, LNER & Met plus Midland region from 1958.

David

Not as far as I was aware and I have been a member since 1981, I am surprised no one has modelled the station before as the regions and stock you can get away with is very wide GWR, LNER & Met plus Midland region from 1958.

David

Fair enough then! I'm sure I've seen something at some point, but I don't know what. Still, I look forward to seeing this :)

I also love the grounded coach body and huts to the rear of the engine shed.

I had a Christmas pressie of a Martin Finney 61XX that I have started, in the mid 1950s Marlebone was Western Region and the 61XX ran the trains in there, 6129 and 6166 were the locos used although they were also used over the Risborough branch too, working from Slough.

David

aylesbury121.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dvid, any updates? Please can I make a cheeky request? I am trying to work out how to weather my track and I would love to see some close-up shots of your trackwork to see how the combination of Phoenix paints came out.

Hi Dvid, any updates? Please can I make a cheeky request? I am trying to work out how to weather my track and I would love to see some close-up shots of your trackwork to see how the combination of Phoenix paints came out.

We hope to finish the Risborough branch platform and loco shed area tonight, I will take my camera along and try and get some photos.

David

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Found these photos the other day, it seems that I was wrong about the trackwork in the loco shed being GWR two bolt, unless it was changed to three bolt pattern in later years as the two photos were taken after the shed closed and the coal stage was removed.

As you may already know the replacement 1893 shed was originally a 2 track dead-ended shed and had a turntable on that southern road between the entrance and the water tank. - Though it looks terribly cramped in that space and too narrow.

I do not have exact dates for either removal of the turntable or the addition of the corrugated sheeting, or even the northern shed road being extended through the back for a short distance though these were certainly prior to 1947.

There was certainly some track alterations going on after that date as by the time of those photos the original coal stage track that in 1947 only extended as far as the water tank seems to have been extended back to at least where the small sand drier was located.

I don't now if it just the angle of the later (after closure photo) but the water tank seems different from the earlier photos of the shed. The original tank being oblong with quite ornate ironwork around the base of the tank and lip round the top edge. I wonder if it was refurbished?

As you may already know the replacement 1893 shed was originally a 2 track dead-ended shed and had a turntable on that southern road between the entrance and the water tank. - Though it looks terribly cramped in that space and too narrow.

The shed was never really replaced it was built as a single road 50 foot broad gauge shed that I have the drawings for, it was then doubled in length after only a few months then a lean to was put on one side to make it a two road shed there are drawings of this in the Wild Swan GWR engine shed book, around 1893 the roof on the shed was rebuilt with a north light saw tooth roof, but retaining the outside walls of the original building and extensions.

I do not have exact dates for either removal of the turntable or the addition of the corrugated sheeting, or even the northern shed road being extended through the back for a short distance though these were certainly prior to 1947.

The Turntable was out of use and removed in 1930, the roof was replaced by corrugated sheeting in 1946, and the line through the rear of the shed was added in the mid 1950s.

The original water tank was a wooden affair which drawings I have; it was replaced in 1899 by the type with decorative framework around the base with GWR coaling stage under the higher LNER coaling stage was added later to one side. The water tank was removed in the mid 1950s but the supporting framework and corrugated cover to the rear remained and a new tank was built closer to the shed more or less were the small turntable was located.

The picture below taken by E C Grithiths around 1950, my Dad is within the group of loco crew on the left had side by the water crane fire devil.

David

post-186-128066620252_thumb.jpg

Fair enough then! I'm sure I've seen something at some point, but I don't know what. Still, I look forward to seeing this :)

Maybe your thinking of the late Geoff Williams' LNWR Aylesbury, in EM, started in the 1950's, modified in the 60's, featured a lot in the contemporary Model Railway News, a MRJ article, and a chapter in the Wild Swan book on the LNWR's Aylesbury branch - the first UK branch line.

Archived