Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield 23:52 SX departure question

hi all.

has anybody perchance used this service. it is run by Transpennine Express and it has an arrival time in Sheffield of 01:20. that is a journey time of nearly one and a half hours for a journey that generally takes 45 minutes approximately. there is no indication that this a replacement bus service in the timetable. perhaps it takes an alternative route than the usual hope valley one? 

regards. peak

On the Manchester to Euston timetable there is an 06:27 departure which is timed to arrive at 09:34 journey time of 3h 7m, an hour more than all the other Virgin services and this is in the morning peak.

What does it do, stop at every station, get dragged to Preston, go for a wash at longsight!!!

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean the Hope Valley is shut after a certain time?

There are engineering works around Stockport - I photographed some units yesterday which were diverted via New Mills / Romiley / Ardwick rather than the normal Stockport / Hazel Grove.

• RMweb Gold

When the route via the West Midlands was first electrified, there were regular trains from Euston to Liverpool and Manchester via New Street, as well as those via Trent Valley. Point was, leaving Euston they were only advertised as Wolverhampton services, and from Liverpool and Manchester as Coventry services. No intention to mislead. There are plenty of such examples, where the customer is only told what he/she needs to know to join the right train. I hope this is the same now.

Guest 838rapid

Have spoken to a ex workmate,it is for route knowledge retention,there are plans to close sections  of the Hope valley route this summer to update/upgrade the route.

Route learning via that route took place recently,after route learning it was discovered that the class 185 was not cleared for this route due to restricted clearences..

I understand Class 170's are operating this service.

Have spoken to a ex workmate,it is for route knowledge retention,there are plans to close sections  of the Hope valley route this summer to update/upgrade the route.

Route learning via that route took place recently,after route learning it was discovered that the class 185 was not cleared for this route due to restricted clearences..

I understand Class 170's are operating this service.

hi 838R,

would your workmate be able to supply any further info regarding what work is taking place and possible times and dates? i use this line on a regular basis and forewarned is forearmed. i haven't come across anything online. regards. peak

838 rapid, do you remeber when we used to do that  before everything was privatised? Used to be a good early finish if the signalman let you ou before the freight coming up out of dove quarry. If not, you were stuck behind it all the way to sheffield. Lets not say the kind of speeds the 158s were able to do before the black boxes came in.

And the rest. My record was we slowed down for the 50mph speed restriction at hathersage bridge works were going on. And that was taken at 10mph over the speed limit for the 158. Work out for yourself what that means, and lets say the rest of the jurney was of the clock. :yes:

Guest 838rapid

lol ,yeah... 158791 at 105 mph going over Normans Bank,speedo stopped moving at that speed....

They were proper flying machines.... Was sat in the Driving seat and feeling the force...

Had to shut off soon after to pass Earles at 90, that was line speed lol....

Hmmm I mean no they didnt go that fast...

Have asked Regarding Hope Valley Closures and they have been told its night times only although the info not recently been updated so only saying during summer..

Hope this helps > Peak Experience

Archived