If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from freezing Cambridgeshire!

justgettingstarted

Hi everyone, this is my first tentative steps into the world of OO gauge railway modelling so I shall be calling upon you experts here to lend a helping hand to this ageing upstart from time to time I'm sure!

I started in about November 2012 with absolutely nothing, not even a fishplate to my name but I did have some very old Triang Hornby rolling stock from way back but I decided that I was going to leave them alone and do this layout as DCC from the outset.

I looked and researched all the controllers on the market and me being me, I knew that I would be unhappy with something that was probably known as a 'starter kit' so I chose to ignore all the Hornby style controllers as I would probably be buying twice, so I eventually went for an ECoS 50200. Very daunting initially but after a few months and even more swear words then I'm now just starting to get the hang of it.

I have also been buying some rolling stock, mainly Bachmann and Hornby and converting most of them to DCC sound although I have bought a couple with sound fitted from the factory in the very early days, I enjoy taking a brand new loco to pieces and fitting the sound into them, I find that very therapeutic especially when it works first time!

All that time of buying the controller and rolling stock then I was constantly thinking where I could put my layout and that would eventually determine the finished size, that has now been decided and I am in the very initial stages of building a 12' x 6' baseboard which will be housed in the upstairs spare bedroom in the barn, the only proviso (from the one who must be obeyed at all times!) was that I had to keep it as a bedroom. So I have designed it so that it can be fixed on hinges on one wall and raised on the other side to go flat to the ceiling when the bedroom is need - problem solved.

While all this has been going on I have of course needed a test track so the kitchen floor has been up-to-now my test bench, I have made a few (but not very good) movies of most but not all of my locos so far which you can view in my YouTube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrahamFoulston?feature=mhee

Now I know all my shortcomings of the movies being pretty poor and trying to hold the camera and switch the functions on and off at the same time has proved pretty difficult and also, at the moment, I'm more like a big kid playing with a train set as the locos most of the time are running way too fast for scale speed but I was enjoying myself.  :-)  No doubt when I have my layout and I'm running my locos on that then I will a) slow down a bit and B) take better movies but for now then you will just have to put up with a bit of amateurism until I reach that point.

I have also decided that (and I'm sure I shall upset quite a few people here with what I'm going to say) I'm not going to be to fussed about the rights and wrongs of what should run with what, if I like it then I will buy it and run it alongside probably completely incompatible other rolling stock, it doesn't bother me. This layout is not going to be taken too seriously in respect of what is right or not, I'm just not interested in the finer details of that. What I am interested in is making the scenery as realistic as I can within my ability so that when I look at the layout it looks not too bad, I really am not bothered if a particular loco should have 59 rivets instead of 60, I really am not bothered if one of my locos would have never run alongside another of my locos - it matters none to me. What I will however be doing is sticking to BR (green, not blue) wherever I can and trying as much as I can to date the layout to about the 1960's although again, if I really like the look of something which isn't in that era then I just may be persuaded.

So that's me and where I am at the moment, who knows where I will be in a couple of years but hopefully I will be where I have a decent layout with some great detail going on but most importantly, I hope that I will be enjoying myself and not taking this great hobby too seriously.

Graham

Welcome to the forum Graham. Don't worry about getting things right, it your railway after all so do what pleases you. As for being like a big kid, don't forget that just because we are growing old it doesn't mean we have to grow up! Enjoy the forum and enjoy playing trains.

Thanks Geoff, I'm nearly 64 years young, getting on for 11 3/4 so play at trains I will. ;-)

Having re-read my initial post, it doesn't come across very friendly - I didn't mean it to come across like that and sorry to anyone who thought the same. I guess all I was trying to say was that I'm at the very beginning of something that I know very little about and I shall make huge mistakes along the way but as long as I'm happy then to me that's what matters. 

I'm going to stop now before I dig myself an even bigger hole.  :-)

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Graham, welcome to the forum. Like you I like running what I like when I like.....and, in fact, I'm worse than you - you can see UK, European (from many European countries), American, Chinese and Japanese stuff on the layout I'm building. Maybe not all at the same time!! Throw in some trams and it gets even worse!!

Enjoy building and running your layout.

Keith

This is making me feel a whole lot better, thanks. I went to a model large model railway exhibition a couple of months back and very impressive it was too, a large number of layouts varying in physical size and gauge and obviously a huge amount of stands for traders, it was very interesting but both me and the wife both commented on the overheard conversations (which in a place like that you can't help but overhear as everyone tends to speak quite loudly to make themselves heard) anyway, I digress, we both commented on that we couldn't understand what a large proportion of them were saying - it was like they were speaking the language from the planet Zobb. They obviously had an enormous amount of knowledge of railways in general - both real and model - and it got me to think how very little I know about this great hobby. I think it's this that made me decide that I just couldn't possibly learn all about what goes with what, it would take me years even if I wanted to. 

I shall leave that to the experts and carry on gazing with wonderment of their vast knowledge of all things railway while I fiddle and fart around with one of my Hornby locos I've just bought and trying to just get it work let alone anything else!!

Graham

Graham, welcome from a fellow Cambs-ite (well actually a Fentiger, Chatteris).

Don' t worry about what you do, Rule 1(it's my layout) ALWAYS applies - but DO ask if you want technical help, we don't bite (much) on here!

Where in Cambs are you?

Stewart

Hi Stewart and thanks for those encouraging words, much appreciated. I'm not very far from you at all in Offord Darcy, a small village just outside Huntingdon. 

Don't worry, I shall have no hesitation in asking if I have a problem but the first person to reply and say to "use the Search button as there's loads of information already on that subject" will get a mouthful - I have not come across one forum yet where the search function works as it should and you waste so much time searching. In theory it's a great idea but in practice it just doesn't seem to work that well. However, having said that then maybe this site has a good search function, no doubt I will have to use it in the not too distant future and we shall see what happens. I will always use the search button first - assuming that the search facility works that is - and if I can't find anything then it's time to ask somebody who is real and not a computer database.  ;-)

Graham

Really? I've not heard of a club in Offord but I might be wrong, I think there is one in Buckden but I haven't checked that out yet. If you could find out then that would be much appreciated. I went to Trains4U at Peterborough on Friday - I really, really should not have discovered that place. The layout upstairs is amazing.

Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham and welcome,

Run what you like and don't worry about the misstacks :)

My wifes been telling me that i've been making mistakes for decades!

Kev.

Welcome Graham.

I've just started to use Rmweb myself and have found it to be a great experiance already, So much on offer advice wise and some really fantastic lay-out shots to give you ideas aswell.

I love the fact you've said about rolling stock as in what you like you'll buy and having the lay-out hinged on the wall, Sounds promising and I look forward to seeing your work.

All the best and welcome.

Chris.

I spoke to my mate today. He confirms that the St.Neots club meets tonight (Wed) in Buckden - not Offord - I believe he said the Millenium Hall?

My mistake, I always remember going trainspotting at the old Offord & Buckden station, so always mix the villages up!

BTW, did you know of the model shop in the High Street a Huntingdon? It's in the quiet bit at the north end.

Stewart

Really? I've not heard of a club in Offord but I might be wrong, I think there is one in Buckden but I haven't checked that out yet. If you could find out then that would be much appreciated. I went to Trains4U at Peterborough on Friday - I really, really should not have discovered that place. The layout upstairs is amazing.

Graham

Hello again to everyone who has replied and thanks for taking the time and trouble in welcoming me to RM. Thanks Stewart as well for the confirmation about the St. Neots club (in Buckden !!), I may pop over there sometime and show my face, not that I will be able to understand anything what people say to me as I'm a complete novice at all this model railway layout malarky.

So it's Friday evening and I've been waiting all week for this to arrive so that I can carry on with my layout building. My plan is to have at least the framework up and hinged to the wall by the end of the weekend, if I can get further than that by mounting the baseboard on to the framework as well then all the better, but I'm not rushing it as this has got to serve me a longtime and I want to get as much right first time without going back and modifying it later - now I bet you've all heard that before and are now muttering to yourselves "He'll learn".  :-) 

Right, onwards and upwards, out of my work clothes and into my model railway clothes, drill and ruler in one hand, a cup of coffee and a cigarette in the other and I'm a happy bunny, I'll pop some pictures up if I make any great progress.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Hi there and welcome aboard - as your'e finding, we're a friendly and tolerant bunch here, and welcome all, regardless of age, scale, ability, or ways of running - my plan is for a local station on an ex LMS main line somewhere in Scotland - can justify most LMS and some LNER types, but my collection also includes a 4-CEP, Castle, and Q1 - and I struggle to find some way to get them mobile - the answer is it's my railway and I'll run what I want on it. 

Regards

Stewart

• 3 months later...

Hello again everyone, I just thought that I would bring you up to date with the progression so far - well progression isn't the right word really - more of a crawl would be more accurate!!

The good news is that the spare room I had allocated for my layout has now been officially handed over to me by the one who must be obeyed as a permanent railway room which now means that I haven't got to design the layout to fold up against the wall - it can stay down permanently Yay!!

So no more testing on the kitchen floor, I can now do that on the proper layout which is now coming on quite well after a long stretch of doing nothing on it for various reasons. The best way to let you see how I'm getting on with this is to guide you to my YouTube channel and one video which I took at the weekend when I had completed the baseboard and the mounting of it against the wall plus my first stretch of track laid down. The link for that is here:   

http://youtu.be/owGQ3kOwRdM

Since making that video on the weekend I have finished tonight putting the complete outer track down plus I managed to get some down and test a dcc loco on it and it went all the way round including over all the points without a fault or stutter so to say that I'm a happy pappy is an understatement. The next part is to now complete the inner track which is about half way round so not too far to go.

Anyway, thats enough of my rambling for now and please feel free to comment on any of the videos should you want to but please bare in mind I'm really, really very new to this so I'm probably making horrendous errors which you will no doubt spot straight away but if no one tells me then I'm not going to learn. 

Graham

I used to live in Buckden so know The Offords quite well.  I seem to remember the saying "The classy live in D'Arcy!"

A friend of mine in Buckden has recently joined the St. Neots Model Railway Club and he reports that they are a friendly bunch.  It is the Millenium Hall where they meet.  If you join them I am sure that someone there will soon advise you on your problem with the Bachmann coaches and Peco check rails.  It sounds as though the wheel back-to-back dimensions are different to the Hornby ones. 

Best of luck.

I used to live in Buckden so know The Offords quite well.  I seem to remember the saying "The classy live in D'Arcy!"

A friend of mine in Buckden has recently joined the St. Neots Model Railway Club and he reports that they are a friendly bunch.  It is the Millenium Hall where they meet.  If you join them I am sure that someone there will soon advise you on your problem with the Bachmann coaches and Peco check rails.  It sounds as though the wheel back-to-back dimensions are different to the Hornby ones. 

Best of luck.

He he. And the luney's live in Cluny - all friendly banter.  :)

Yes, the B2B measurement is the likely cause, I will have a look at them this weekend and see if I can tweak them but if not then no doubt there are probably some aftermarket wheel sets available that I could fit.

I may have a wonder down to the Bucken club (St. Neots) and have a look round but at the moment I'm spending nearly all my available time getting my layout up and running so it may not be for a while yet.

Thanks for the helpful reply - much appreciated.

Graham

Archived