Combe Down Tunnel and Devonshire Tunnel reopening day

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm planning to do more cycling in future, in particular the stretches of the Somerset & Dorset that are now cycleways, and the Two Tunnels section will be top of my list.

Does anyone have any experience/photos they can share with us?

For various reasons I may not be able to transport my own bike there, please can anyone advise whether there is a Bike Hire shop in Midford or nearby?

Many thanks,

Dave.T

To be blunt, with the demise of the railway there is nothing in Midford other than the pub!

On the other hand, you could try http://www.avonvalleycyclery.co.uk/ at Bath Spa station (I've no experience of them, I just know that they are there and seem popular).

Some observations ( as an occasional pedestrian user of the tunnels <g>):-

1. However hot it may be outside, it will be cooler inside. Pedestrians ought to take another layer of clothing, tho' cyclists may get thru' a lot quicker!

2. Have working lights on your bike and USE them - it is not that easy for pedestrians to see you coming.

3. Follow the instructions and KEEP LEFT.

4. SLOW DOWN when entering the tunnels as it takes time for your eye to adjust to the gloom, by which time you may have hit a pedestrian - it happens.

5. Don't be worried if you hear strange music half-way thru' Combe Down tunnel - it's on automatic sensors (don't ask why, I've really no idea!)

I have photos and video taken with my Go pro video camera mounted on my bike. I actually saw more of the inside of the tunnel watching the videos than I did actually cycling through tye tunnels due to the excellent low light capabilities of the Go pro.

I'll try to get them upload this coming weekend once I get home.

A word of caution, stupid dog walkers. Idiots who let their dog walk on the other side of the tunnel to themselves on those dam spring return leads. Its dark in the tunnel and whilst you may catch a fleeting glimpse of either the idiot dog walkers or the dog you will certainly not see the lead in between them. They are just as bad down where I live and come in the shape of tourist dog walkers. Dog one side of the road, dog the other, two ton car in between. oh dear what a shame. Don't complain get a brain.

• RMweb Gold

I have photos and video taken with my Go pro video camera mounted on my bike. I actually saw more of the inside of the tunnel watching the videos than I did actually cycling through tye tunnels due to the excellent low light capabilities of the Go pro.

I'll try to get them upload this coming weekend once I get home.

A word of caution, stupid dog walkers. Idiots who let their dog walk on the other side of the tunnel to themselves on those dam spring return leads. Its dark in the tunnel and whilst you may catch a fleeting glimpse of either the idiot dog walkers or the dog you will certainly not see the lead in between them. They are just as bad down where I live and come in the shape of tourist dog walkers. Dog one side of the road, dog the other, two ton car in between. oh dear what a shame. Don't complain get a brain.

As a local and dog walker I find it's idiot, inconsiderate cyclists who cycle too fast that are the problem. I used to walk there regularly, it was what inspired my Tucking Mill layout. Now I rarely go there as it's too full of idiot cyclists hurtling along. If they want to ride at those sort of speeds then get out on the road and take your chances. A good walk spoilt in my opinion.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

I can feel a bit of animosity coming on. I think it's fair to say all users of pathways need to be considerate for each other, be they old railways, tracks, towpaths, whatever.

Please don't let this thread descend into a flaming bunfight.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the tips guys.  As both a walker and cyclist myself, I have seen stupid/inconsiderate behaviour from both sides!

If anyone is unaware, the Two Tunnels project has a website here:   http://www.twotunnels.org.uk/

and a dedicated Flickr site here:  https://www.flickr.com/groups/two-tunnels-bath/pool/

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding the odd monument being chucked down the bank and a lot of fencing (stipulated by landowners I think and not the "fault" of Sustrans, I personally think the Two Tunnels project is an absolute marvel.

I never tire of cycling through it and can't say that I have ever witnessed any problem of any sort from either cyclist, pedestrian or dog. It is an absolute joy to me to see two fantastic pieces of Victorian engineering brought back to life in such an imaginative way and achieved against such odds too. 

I forgive Sustrans for all their transgressions past, present and even future for their huge achievement. If you haven't experienced it and are considering a visit then I'd urge you to get down there - you won't be disappointed. It is also (joy of joys) one of those most rare things, a modern project that requires the use of common sense.

The opening day was a real blast, here are two snaps from the celebrations.

The boy Harry about to enter the southern portal of Combe Down tunnel on our first return through the tunnel:

post-19301-0-37513000-1433368003.jpg

And Jerry (don't mention the cyclists) Clifford and myself enjoying a pint  on our "local nutters enthusiasts support the tunnel" stand:

post-19301-0-17034400-1433368131.jpg

It's absolutely the best thing to have happened in Bath in my lifetime, and I like the music too - so there!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

And Jerry (don't mention the cyclists) Clifford and myself enjoying a pint  on our "local nutters enthusiasts support the tunnel" stand:

attachicon.gifTunnel1.jpg

It's absolutely the best thing to have happened in Bath in my lifetime, and I like the music too - so there!

Simon

To be honest Simon is absolutely right and it is a marvellous thing, I had forgotten what a splendid opening day we had. I'm just still a bit grumpy from a run in with one particular Lycra- clad lunatic who was going hell for leather with no regard for anyone else.

More importantly, where on earth did I get that jumper and what possessed me to allow myself to be photographed in it. Not one of my better charity shop purchases. Lord knows what has happened to it but if it does turn up it will relegated to garden duties only.

Jerry, (who is a Jeremy but can occasionally be grumpy like the Jeremy that Simon is not but is supposed to look like!)

I took the outlaws for a quick trip round and thoroughly enjoyed it apart from their slow lingering cycling... 

I haven't had issues on most of the cycle paths in the area apart from the Bristol-Bath velodrome path, which is very frustrating. 

On the whole I'd prefer cyclists to dog walkers. I've never been bitten by a cyclist, nor do cyclists encourage members of their parties to cr*p on the grass verges. Cyclists also pay for otherwise lost routes to be revived, look at the Cromford and High Peak, Tissington and Waterhouses trails, where bike hire and spares companies thrive, cafes operate and car parks cater for whole families coming for a day on the trails. Cyclists can be a bit whiffy - my sons riding kit bag has been expelled from the house entirely - but at least they don't shed hairs all over the furniture. Nor do they see any merit in sleeping with their noses up their bottoms, or engage in certain other unsavoury practices which are sometimes attributed to being preferable to the taste of dog food.

So on the whole, I'd say cyclists have it, although by a short head and I'll probably change my mind next time I get held up by a whole pack of them racing on the A14..

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I at last managed to cycle the Two Tunnels recently, and I've added a few photos below.  The day I went it was practically deserted; saw very few people and certainly none of Jerry's lycra-louts to dodge.

here's a few northbound views:

Combe Down Tunnel south portal

post-5825-0-70953700-1439599266.jpg

My attempt at photographing the interior.  

post-5825-0-66410400-1439599271.jpg

Devonshire Tunnel south end

post-5825-0-81443800-1439599278.jpg

And the famous bridge that features in so many photos, and has so many photos taken from

post-5825-0-23296700-1439599286.jpg

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Returning southwards up the gradient from Bath, this is the long-buried north entrance to Devonshire Tunnel

post-5825-0-28134200-1439599731.jpg

post-5825-0-52556000-1439599739.jpg

The high overbridge in Lyncombe Vale that many photographs have been taken from

post-5825-0-01005200-1439599747.jpg

At the north end of Combe Down, the base of the platelayers hut is still there

post-5825-0-84989400-1439599763.jpg

post-5825-0-16254500-1439599757.jpg

And just to confirm the lighting situation

post-5825-0-94776900-1439599768.jpg

post-5825-0-44387100-1439599773.jpg

Being on my own in Combe Down tunnel was an eerie experience.  For most of its length its straight, but slightly curved at each end so you can't see through.  I had always thought that the gradient changed at the north entrance from 1 in 50 up from Bath to 1 in 100 down to Midford; but there's actually a short level section inside the tunnel.  When you round the curve onto the long straight the lights disappearing into the distance show the gradient changing and dipping out of sight. (you can see this in the previous post)  And after a while you can gently feel yourself starting to freewheel.

• RMweb Premium

There's a footpath down into the valley at Tucking Mill Viaduct, a great location for exploring Jerry Clifford country.

post-5825-0-64897600-1439600953.jpg

The remains of Midford goods yard

post-5825-0-55272900-1439600961.jpg

post-5825-0-93278400-1439600976.jpg

Midford tunnel is actually a long skew bridge

post-5825-0-03406200-1439600969.jpg

And finally the Hope & Anchor in the shadow of Midford Viaduct does a very welcoming lunch and pint before heading on.

It was getting busier by then, and everyone in the pub garden had either just cycled the tunnels, or was just about to.

post-5825-0-30452600-1439600983.jpg

If you only do one cycle trail this year, make it this one!

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Jerry Clifford. Country, blimey!

Great pictures Dave and good to see you at Wells. I walked it again recently with my good friend Phil Coplestone and it was excellent. We did encounter a solitary Lycra lout who loomed out of the dark at great speed in the tunnel with no lights or bell but didn't let that spoil our day. Phil is very much a Cambrian man but is rapidly becoming hooked on the S&D and everything North Somerset - marvellous!:-)

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

I did notice on the run down into Bath from Devonshire tunnel, that when anyone saw me coming they quickly moved aside and gathered their various children and dogs around them.  

They relaxed though when they realised I wasn't either clad in yellow lycra, or going like a bat out of hell....

• RMweb Premium

I did notice on the run down into Bath from Devonshire tunnel, that when anyone saw me coming they quickly moved aside and gathered their various children and dogs around them.  

They relaxed though when they realised I wasn't either clad in yellow lycra, or going like a bat out of hell....

.......and you weren't on a bike either......... :mosking:

P

• RMweb Premium

Midford is of course, a good location for looking at the industrial archaeology of the area.  I had a quick look for the Somerset Coal Canal, and realised it passed under the road right next to the pub.  The parapets of what would have been a hump-back bridge are readily visible.

post-5825-0-71074500-1439664946.jpg

All this has made me want to learn more; there was a secondhand copy of the old David & Charles book "The Somerset Coal Canal and Railways" on sale at Railwells, but they wanted £45 for it....

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

You can of course follow much of the course of the SCC in either direction by following the footpath next to the bridge.....

I did spot the towpath, but didn't have time to explore it.  It goes a long way does it?

Thanks, Dave.

PS  I'm off to watch The Titfield Thunderbolt again.

Archived