LMS D1806 Cement Hopper

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, John. Looks like there is a strong possibility that they survived into my chosen year of 1967 :-)

I would say that they are in cement traffic judging by the amount of white stuff that is visible on them.

The whole train in that photo is eminently 'modellable'!

David

• 2 years later...

I picked up this thread whilst doing some research on these wagons after spotting them in 'Railways North From Nottingham' Part 2 by Malcolm Castledine. Here are four at Basford North in 1964. They look very similar to the LMS D1806, but with lifting link brake gear and plate 'W' irons:-

post-6972-0-61412200-1449235622_thumb.jpg

It looks like for 7mm, it will be mostly a scratchbuild..

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photo. I suppose, being at Basford, they can be considered to be on their 'native heath'. It does occur to me that we haven't established what load they carried for Stanton. The LMS wagons do seem to have been used for cement but this seems unlikely for Stanton.

David

Thanks for the photo. I suppose, being at Basford, they can be considered to be on their 'native heath'. It does occur to me that we haven't established what load they carried for Stanton. The LMS wagons do seem to have been used for cement but this seems unlikely for Stanton.

David

They might be carrying ground slag to a cement works elsewhere. I don't know how old this practice is, but there's a regular flow from Dunquerque to a works near Le Havre, and another from Dunkerque by ship to Bordeaux, then onwards by rail. Alternatively, there may have been a cement works on site.

It might even have something to do with this:-

"During the 1914-1918 war Stanton produced large numbers of shell casings, while during the Second World War both shell and bomb casings, gun barrels, and concrete air-raid shelter components were produced. With its experience in high quality concrete products, Stanton was also involved with the production of experimental concrete torpedo casings. During the Second World War, the Stanton Gate Foundry (known to later generations as the Erewash Foundry) produced 873,500 bomb casings."

from http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/history/industry/stantonironworks/stantonironworks.htm

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility that they were used for product going out of the Stanton works. It's also amazing what other activities  a company could get into during the war with the possibility that similar production could have continued into the post-war era.

David

Interesting. I hadn't considered the possibility that they were used for product going out of the Stanton works. It's also amazing what other activities  a company could get into during the war with the possibility that similar production could have continued into the post-war era.

David

I believe the concrete pipe business is still extant; it looks as though it may even have been a pre-WW2 activity.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the concrete pipe business is still extant; it looks as though it may even have been a pre-WW2 activity.

Stanton was producing spun iron and spun concrete pipes in '65 when I visited as part of my college course.

Archived