LNER WI SE FINECAST

• RMweb Premium

Front end should look like this, there is a smokebox door in there but it's well back and quite small.

post-1643-0-98817800-1369339246_thumb.jpg

After building this 7mm scale model there was a long argument about colour. Many of the photos of 10000 are in "works grey" with the usual matt finish, however it was obviously painted properly later with a normal varnished finish to the grey paintwork. The buffer beams was definitely red, I couldn't deide which areas were balck and which were grey though, horizontal surfaces which could be stepped on were normally black but the inside of the cowl could have been either.

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

The cowl was not cut back to fit the Kylchap exhaust but it was extended over the top in 1935. The curved access door (in front of the smokebox door) was removed fairly early, there is a photo of 10000 on its way to or from the S&D centenary parade in 1925 with this door missing (and a very glossy paint finish). In any case the actual smokebox door is fitted vertically as usual, it's quite small diameter, set well back with a wheel and handle fastening.

The smoke box cover was removed towards the end of the locomotives life as "hush hush" - the model is therefore correct for a few months between the fitting of the double chimney and the chimney cowl the LNER experimented with before the full rebuilding.

Pictures are in the Brown book on Hush Hush, makes fascinating reading.

The smoke box cover was removed towards the end of the locomotives life as "hush hush" - the model is therefore correct for a few months between the fitting of the double chimney and the chimney cowl the LNER experimented with before the full rebuilding.

Pictures are in the Brown book on Hush Hush, makes fascinating reading.

Regarding the colour.

I was brought up to understand that "Battleship Grey" was a mix of 50/50 black and white.

My old boss bought many thousand gallons of black and white paint as surplus around 1946/47.

It was used on Dexion Slotted Angle for many years until RAL and/or BS standards were adopted.

I never did hear any body complain about the colour.

The effect would I presume be different when mixing modern paint as the pigments would have almost certainly changed.

I wish they could recreate this beast, it does so illustrate the look and feel of the Art Deco period.

An A4 with class and attitude in my book and the model certainly brings out those attributes.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the colour.

I was brought up to understand that "Battleship Grey" was a mix of 50/50 black and white.

My old boss bought many thousand gallons of black and white paint as surplus around 1946/47.

It was used on Dexion Slotted Angle for many years until RAL and/or BS standards were adopted.

I never did hear any body complain about the colour.

The effect would I presume be different when mixing modern paint as the pigments would have almost certainly changed.

I wish they could recreate this beast, it does so illustrate the look and feel of the Art Deco period.

An A4 with class and attitude in my book and the model certainly brings out those attributes.

Bernard

Battleship grey (as painted on battleships of the Royal Navy) has changed considerably over the years.  The current colour is fairly long established and probably dates, with slight variation, to the period between the wars.  It - as it is today - is considerably lighter than the colour applied to dreadnought battleships and smaller craft, including early destroyers, and which contemporaneous illustrations (including some in colour) suggest remained in use for at least Home Fleet vessels into WWI and possibly later.

The Brown title offers the following on pp73: " ...the colour is made of lead colour in paste, with a small addition of common black paste, mixed with varnish and turpentine..."

• RMweb Premium

Battleship grey (as painted on battleships of the Royal Navy) has changed considerably over the years.  

Yup, and over geography. What is often cited as 'Battleship Grey' was, as stationmaster correctly pointed out, the standard colour for ships of the Grand Fleet (later the Home Fleet) through the first war and inter war years. The colour was designed to hide the ships in the usual crabby conditions of the North Sea, where they principally operated. The Med and Far East fleets had very different colours, reflecting differing amounts of sunshine in which they had to hide.

During the second war serious use of disruptive pattern started being used on warships, so the 'one colour' ship's side largely went away.

Modern ships are painted a very much lighter shade, which reflects their global roles (lots of operational stuff in the Gulf, West Indies and Med) and the fact that, without standing forces in each theatre, the Navy has to choose a one colour fits all for what is known as topcoat grey. Interestingly other Navies, like the Germans, who tend not to operate beyond Europe, still use a much darker shade (and they are a lot harder to spot at distance).

There is also an argument about paint colour and emissivity, as reducing the IR signature of a ship has become very important, but that really is for another time and place.

Guess what I did for 13 years?

George

Archived