LNER WI SE FINECAST

Just thought i would post some shots of my SE Fincast W1 kit in progress  .I was a somewhat disapointed with the boiler halves as one was longer than the other requiring a lot of fudging and still have misaligned boiler bands,gues it ok if you view it from one side only ! Also replace the front whitmetal  chassis with a brass rails as this was also a mess. The loco is undercoat grey as per the photo on the box but having doubts as to wether this sould have been dark grey

post-7317-0-49080300-1365312816_thumb.jpg

post-7317-0-36212900-1365312859_thumb.jpg

post-7317-0-93787000-1365312905_thumb.jpg

post-7317-0-68505100-1365312951_thumb.jpg

Nice piece of work!  There's a book available about the W1- "Hush Hush: the story of 10000" or something I think it is called- I forget who wrote it unfortunately but I do have a copy 'somewhere'.  The basic gist of it seems to drive at that the loco would have been completely successful had not the steampipe driving the ancillaries (including the injectors) not been far too small in diameter.  The cover of the book has an interesting painting of the loco leaving Kings Cross- the colour of the engine appears as more or less Battleship Grey- very dark.

Just thought i would post some shots of my SE Fincast W1 kit in progress  .I was a somewhat disapointed with the boiler halves as one was longer than the other requiring a lot of fudging ....

I think that goes to show the degree of shrinkage that can happen during the casting of white metal - the potential for it increases with the size of the casting.

Tim Shackleton built one for MRJ Compendium, but I think his body casting was not affected to the degree that you have suffered!!

Even so, you've done a great job there.

• 1 month later...

Hi all repainted the body in Battle ship grey ,must say it looks better lining done now runs really well (fitted a New zealand made gearbox and motor).Ive ordered specific transferes from FOX so just waiting on them and a coat of clear to finish .Next  off the producion line SE

fine cast GWR DEGLEN and langley SR Baltic tank

post-7317-0-75997600-1369123207_thumb.jpg

post-7317-0-15899500-1369123221_thumb.jpg

post-7317-0-90834800-1369123250_thumb.jpg

post-7317-0-23222600-1369123267_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That really is a 'beast'; would have liked to have seen that thundering (if it ever thundered?) through 36E .

P

According to my dad - who cabbed it at some sort of LNER open day - it was a very impressive engine to look at although I'm not sure how well it went.  It certainly seemed to go quite well as 60700 having had a trip behind it from Grantham to the Cross when returning from York on one occasion (and just to square the circle I cabbed it at KX).

G'day all

I like the W1 and must get round to building mine sometime (Chassis runs well), and I also have a Langley Remembrance Baltic Tank Half built (slight modification to valve gear to finish).

As for the high auction price for a part-built W1, have you seen what he's charging for a SECR D class with five coaches and two vans...879 pounds.

People can pay silly prices if they want something. A Golden Arrow Leader 0-6-6-0T fetched 696 pounds (including buyers premiun) at auction a few days ago, and you can buy them 

R-T-R from the maker for 295 pounds. I've been testing mine (playing) up and down the track and thinking of all the fivers that are moving along.

Remember to show us the Baltic tank when you build it.

Earlswood nob

Very nice effort, when I did 4mm modelling I had a RTR version from Golden Arrow I think which used a modified Hornby A3 and a plastic moulded body. This was around mid 80's and was OK for its time though probably quite dated by todays standards.

While not wishing to knock your effort I was under the impression W1 was "battleship grey" and that included the buffer beams.

The enclose image is of a oil painting a friend did for me. Its a straight copy of a commercially available image of W1 running the Flying Scotsman leaving Waverley. In this respect W1 is also unique as the only non Pacific to have worked the Flying Scotsman in its entirety

post-16796-0-44182500-1369292974_thumb.jpg

Further to my earlier post I enclose 3 lots of images from a book LNER Reflections ISBN 0-947971-03-3 It shows the shape of the cab sides and my sort of clarifies my thoughts on the colour

The 4 th image is the commercial postcard that sparked it all but they specify no more than Waverley 1930's I also show a couple more images of my friends work, W1 is meant to be at Darlington and we have already touched on the colour issue. 

On the issue of the sloped cab sheets I vaguely remember that the same issue was problematic for a builder who was published on Gauge 0 Guild. 

Despite all that I still recon its a good build of a very interesting prototype. 

• RMweb Gold

Judging from various contemporaneous views of the loco I have seen over the years I have sometimes wondered if it was painted in two differing shades of grey with a much paler colour at one stage (no, not I think, 'photographic grey') which was subsequently replaced by a coat of (the dark shade of) battleship grey?

... The basic gist of it seems to drive at that the loco would have been completely successful had not the steampipe driving the ancillaries (including the injectors) not been far too small in diameter...

Whereas the usual concensus is that it was the inability to keep the water tube boiler casings airtight when flexed due to being mounted mounted on a locomotive chassis. This experience was repeated elsewhere in the world where the same experiment was made. It was a natural thing to try, as water tube boilers dominate large scale steam raising plant, and perform significantly better than firetube boilers: the watertube boiler off 10000 was installed to provide steam supply at one of the ex-NER works and outlived the loco in service.

... It certainly seemed to go quite well as 60700 having had a trip behind it from Grantham to the Cross when returning from York on one occasion ...

It never saw any development, and could probably with advantage have had a smaller cylinder diameter in line with the Peppercorn A1, which in terms of power potential was essentially the same loco. The major difficulty crews had with it was that with a fully open regulator on easier stretches of the line it needed a shorter cut off for efficiency than Walschaerts gear can reliably supply. Run with a part open regulator to enable cut off to be set at the normal 15%, it burned rather more coal than the pacifics.

I think there may be a cover missing - compare to the painting.

I agree . Perhaps the bizarre smokebox handle is a support for the cover there are also what appear to be retaining shoulders as well on either side of the smokebox door.

Archived