Lone Star 000 rubber bands

Neil

But the Mk1 coaches and American coaches were the same.

Don't forget the "Impy" range of push along Lone Star winch was N gauge rather than OOO and used plastic track with totally new geometry. This was sold mainly in Woolworths in bubble packs! For 2/6 a pack if my memory serves me correctly?

These were basically a mix of the early 1950s push-along and Treble-O-lectric models on new 9mm gauge silver plastic wheels. Interestingly the long-wheelbase British wagons (GW brake van & cattle wagon, both Tri-ang style) were on a later, better detailed 12ft wheelbase chassis with brake rigging used only briefly in the electric range. The electric rolling stock wheels were always black plastic and the bodies 'sensible' colours. Very late additions to the Woolworth/Impy range were points and crossings, the Derby type 2 (in blue) and the Princess (in red without tender). These were a little dearer, possibly 3/6!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

But the Mk1 coaches and American coaches were the same.

Don't forget the "Impy" range of push along Lone Star winch was N gauge rather than OOO and used plastic track with totally new geometry. This was sold mainly in Woolworths in bubble packs! For 2/6 a pack if my memory serves me correctly?

XF

No they weren't.  There were Mk1 coaches & brakes and very different US coaches, with fluted sides, with & without vista-dome

See this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONE-STAR-TREBLE-O-LECTRIC-/130902042822?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7a5ea8c6

The US items came in a variety of liveries and the variations thereof seem to be the most collectable. Some liveries are very sought-after.

Mark.

No they weren't.  There were Mk1 coaches & brakes and very different US coaches, with fluted sides, with & without vista-dome

See this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONE-STAR-TREBLE-O-LECTRIC-/130902042822?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7a5ea8c6

The US items came in a variety of liveries and the variations thereof seem to be the most collectable. Some liveries are very sought-after.

Mark.

I never saw the MK1 brake in the Impy range and the MK1 composite was same body though the roof was slightly different. The US coaches were the Treblo Electric versions rather than push along 000 of which with vista dome coach coming from this range too.

The plethora of liveries towards the end was amazing and think the factory had a clear out of everything. My Class 24 in light blue HYF and mounted on the American diesel chassis is testament to this. I remember seeing documentation showing a single ended Baby Deltic whether it was every made I do not know.

I have been contemplating putting a Lone Star demo stand together and displaying it at model railway exhibitions for some time maybe now is a good time to start on this!

Nigel

• RMweb Gold

There was still stuff coming out of the factory in the mid to late 1980s. I got a mint boxed unpowered Treble-O-Lectric Baby Deltic & Class 24 via Denys Brownlee, who had contacts at the factory. This may well have been the final, final clearout!

The nice thing about collecting Lone Star OOO is that it's fairly space efficient and until recently, prices were quite soft, except for the rarer US liveries.

I found this page, while surfing, which I think may be useful.

http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html

The section on 'repairing' mazak (Americans seem to call it zamac for some reason) is interesting. Possibily the 'superglue' seals the impurities responsible for the break-up of the casting?

I gather the problem with the class 31 is the chassis expanding and I can't see 'superglue' helping here. There seem to be two mazak failure modes - cracking and expansion/warping (sometimes both together - Farish Pullman floors especially!)

Edit

Reposted - now to experiment with some items of my own.

• 5 months later...

Might be worth a quick vist to your local dental practice - I believe they are/were used for orthodontal work in various sizes - those mouthful of metal thingies

Yes, totally agree, these work perfectly. Nice and soft, but not overly stretchy. Pity they don'y make black ones, mine are all flouro colours!

Archived