Davids Workbench

The four sides were soldered together and the final 2 axle boxes added parallel to the existing, wagon wheels were inserted and it flew along the test track quite happily at pace

post-2237-0-29451000-1416572841_thumb.jpg

The sheet panel details and wooden bars were added but are not an ideal fit so some filler will be applied later before painting to tidy up. I am not quite sure why they were cast on one side but not on the other. On examining pictures of the wagon the metal sheet which covered the vent holes bored through the side planks was on top of the side timbers. The white metal pieces sit flush so I have used very thin plasticard as above to see if I can replicate this better. I am not quite sure of the results so am doing one side of each and will see which I like best after painting, though any comments are welcome. The roof has gone on first time with this wagon thankfully, so just needs a clean-up and details adding required now

• Like 5

Paint has been aquired and a coat of three varying colours has been put onto the inside of 3 wagons to experiment how each one will look.

post-2237-0-99914800-1417090368_thumb.jpg

First thoughts are that the 110 and RC402 apply much better as the 71 looks very patchy on its first coat. Washes have been prepared by mixing 1ml of paint to 1ml of water to thin down the colour, but colours have not yet been mixed. Washes wil hopefully be applied tonight to see what happens next

If anyone has any comments please feel free to make suggestions. Apologies for the photo, it was late last night and i forgot to put the lamp on

For acrylic washes I like to add something to aid the flow of the wash. Personally, I use Windsor & Newton Acrylic "Flow Improver", for modelling purposes you'll only ever need to buy one bottle it costs £7ish for 125ml and only use a drop or two at a time. Basically you mix your wash on a palette and then add a drop of "Flow Improver" and you will see the surface tension of the liquid collapse and instead of a meniscus the liquid will flow easily across the palette. Your wash will then settle much easier into the crevices and joints of the model.

Some people can get away with using IPA or washing up liquid but I find for the minimal outlay the proprietary preparation is most efficacious!

No advertising intended!

• 7 months later...

After 6 months of turmoil things are settling down and modelling has once more begun. The paint shop has turned out a number of LNWR wagons in recent days, D64 Loco Coal, D54 Coal Wagons, Dia 33 Van and a D4 general merchandise wagon

post-2237-0-85684800-1436269113_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-97701500-1436269470_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-89868400-1436269482_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-77730900-1436269497_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

And 1 became 2. The second LNWR Brake van is a D&S version and was bought second hand at expoEM north last year mostly built. As it was mostly built when bought it has been a case of small bits of tidying up and then painting and lettering, this time as a Camden Van

post-2237-0-66652900-1436335420_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Those vans are D16s, are they not?

A little hard to tell due to the window.

I get the same problem, and you really need a bright lamp facing the window to get a shot of all the details.

Though, what I can see in the photo makes me a bit jealous. I wish I could keep my desk neat enough to actually see the tabletop. Haha

They are indeed both D16, one with diamonds and one done without to mix the liveries up a little. If I acquire a third it will probably be just diamonds livery, maybe if I am brave the two tone early livery.

I did look at it after I had uploaded and thought that's not a great image because of the light, but then you want that light when working. I do need somewhere better to take my photos

The bench is only cleanish as I had packed up my stuff as was away for a few days and modelling went with me. Normally it is a mess with stuff everywhere

I have just noticed the roof has lifted slightly at the right hand end of the Camden van, small job to sort out when I get home

• 3 weeks later...

More progress has been made on the wagon front with parts being cleaned up while away in the hotel last week, and gradually built up over this week

From left to right: LNWR Diagram 1 Single plank, Diagram 2 two plank, Diagram 62 ballast wagon and finally another Diagram 4

All have been given a single brake on one side only. The diagram 2 needs a bit of filling in on the top plank in the middle as when it was moulded it looks like something was just not quite right in the process where the plastic met in the middle. After filler its paint time :)

post-2237-0-69596300-1437738261_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

If you file the end stanchions flush on the ballast wagon it makes a standard D3 - 2 planker with fall doors.  I don't have much call for an LNWR ballast train as on my layout the permanent way was in the hands of the GWR so all my ratio 2 plankers, of which there are 2 in each of these kits, are getting this treatment.

At some point I will be obtaining more ballast wagons and a couple will be converted to D3 as I would quite like to have one of each diagram as far as reason goes

At the moment I am looking at 5-6 ballast wagons required all told, probably a mix of NWD an PWD liveries

Diagram 17A, one of the flush sided brake vans, very interesting choice. I know Mousa is going to do the D17B, so a 17A would be a scratch build inc chassis as its a 10FT wheelbase

I will have a nosey in Kenilworth this weekend and see if there is a set of drawings on the archive

Diagram 17A, one of the flush sided brake vans, very interesting choice. I know Mousa is going to do the D17B, so a 17A would be a scratch build inc chassis as its a 10FT wheelbase

I will have a nosey in Kenilworth this weekend and see if there is a set of drawings on the archive

I scratchbuilt one a while back. The flush siding would suit a casting well. Wish I had the skills to do it. To make a kit of my own would be an interesting change.

The LNWR society has a page on them.

I do have to agree that it would suit a casting very well. Do you have CAD skills? If so a bit of research and your halfway there already. The best thing to then do is look at kits like the cauliflower you are currently making and look at how they have built up the parts

They do indeed, if we have that drawing on the page then surely we must have more drawings in the archive :) Mind I also want to see if there are drawings for the traction engine and tram car trolleys so its going to be a busy day on Sunday I feel :)

I do have to agree that it would suit a casting very well. Do you have CAD skills? If so a bit of research and your halfway there already. The best thing to then do is look at kits like the cauliflower you are currently making and look at how they have built up the parts

They do indeed, if we have that drawing on the page then surely we must have more drawings in the archive :) Mind I also want to see if there are drawings for the traction engine and tram car trolleys so its going to be a busy day on Sunday I feel :)

Bill Bedford is doing a kit for a D17B, why not approach him? They both share a 10ft wheelbase, so their might be some common parts which could simplify the design process.

LRM are also looking at a kit for the 20T six wheel D17.

From a quick glance both do look to be similar in under frame so its just the bodies that would need to be different. Another thing on the wish list that's for sure

Yes they are, I saw the example he had at the LNWR Society modelling day and it looked very good, I am very much looking forward to seeing the kit on the market and making a purchase

The only issue with the vans is the D17, 17A, and 17B are all widely different body wise.

The 17B has more windows than a Pullman, the 17 is 6 wheeled, and the 17A is actually a pretty tame van design.

Also 17B is on a steel underframe, rather than the wood used for 17 or 17A.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Its been ages since I posted but I have been beavering away sorting out details and tidying up projects, most wagons now have tare weights although one or two need redoing, discovered I am not so good with miniature transfers

I cannot decide on the attached pictures, one row of timber or two?

post-2237-0-29708800-1455174165_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-11700800-1455174533_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Haven't visited this thread before, some nice work on those wagons and lots if useful info. Thanks for sharing, keep the updates coming.

Which transfers did you use for the tare weights on the open, unless I've missed them (possible) there isn't anything suitable on the sheet that comes with the Ratio kits?

• Like 1