Davids Workbench

Thank you for your kind comments :)

I am using PC Pressfix (Now available from HMRS) for the tare weights, have been learning how best to apply them as on some of the wagons a rivet or bolt head gets in the way. Think when I do the next batch of wagons the offending rivet head will be removed to make life easier. They do have the . on the sheet as well but when I am happy I am just going to use a touch of white paint instead 

The transfer sheet is available from HMRS (About £8 rings a bell), not sure if its Pressfix/Methfix now they make or both, must admit I've not tried the methylated ones I have in stock as yet

One of those jobs that has been waiting for a while is a Diagram 307 5 Compartment All Third Brake PC Coach kit that I bought ready made. When it arrived it was less its door vents, any form of numbering and had been built using the PC bogies, one of which would not retain its wheels despite no end of messing about, minor soldering etc and I finally had enough, taking the clippers to it and removing the bogie as much as possible. Once the bulk of the bogie was removed, the bolt was cut through and the remaining area was cleaned up.

A Stevenson Carriages 9FT White metal mount was filed down to fit, the bolt pushed through and evostick'd into position. Once dry the bogie was fitted and a test run undertaken. As the fix seemed to work quite nicely the process was repeated at the other end of the carriage

Now the carriage is running better the next job is to raid my other PC kits and scrounge enough vents (9) together to add to the side, add transfers, and paint the bogies

post-2237-0-43569200-1455714116_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-75615400-1455714122_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-93037700-1455714128_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-20775700-1455714142_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Bought on the spur of the moment for £3 when buying some other wagons for the kids Thomas layout was the wagon as photo'd below. What do some people do to their kits :(

So far I have managed to remove the transfers by scalpel and fibre brush, removed the existing break gear and also removed the floating timbers from the top of the load which just looked daft and its starting to come into some form of shape. The ends are going to need some filler and luckily when in a rake the damage/repair will be mostly hidden to sight

post-2237-0-42791400-1455799096_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-72394800-1455799163_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not the best model photo in the world as it was taken to show the whole stand, but my work was in the centre of the London and North Western Society stand at the O Gauge Guild at Kettering, an event I thoroughly enjoyed and it was a pleasure to meet fellow members and railway enthusiasts alike, even if I did have to tell a few people the models had shrunk in the rain!!

post-2237-0-82586400-1458044296_thumb.jpg

Shrunk? No. You're just so ahead of the curve, you've modeled the LNWR in 7mm to 57% full size!

That is awesome :) Fair play

I did have to stop myself from buying a couple of 7mm wagon kits but it was a close run thing, I've got enough 4mm to be getting on with. Though a coal tank with a couple of wagons and brake van in 7mm would look lovely in the display case.....

• 5 months later...

Inspired by Compounds work on his thread I thought it was about time I posted and showed my first attempt at converting a Dia54 to a D53 coal wagon. This was predominantly an experiment to find out the best method of converting each part.

post-2237-0-59425800-1472452797_thumb.jpg

D54 Sides to the left, the cut D53 sides to the right

The upright stanchions on the ends were cut through with a junior hacksaw, and a Stanley knife then used to cut through the top plank. For the sides a ruler was blue-tacked in place and then the top plank was removed this time with the scalpel which took longer but produced a cleaner cut. For removing the strapping I went for a flat chisel scalpel blade and carefully worked along the length of the strap, with great care required not to let the blade dig into the rest of the wagon side. Fine emery paper was used to tidy up some more and a scalpel blade used to try and clear out the recess of the planks where the strap was as these would now become normal recesses. The parts were then stuck together as normal, through the paint shop and another wagon to add to the growing fleet

post-2237-0-39014500-1472453590_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Inspired by Compounds work on his thread I thought it was about time I posted and showed my first attempt at converting a Dia54 to a D53 coal wagon. This was predominantly an experiment to find out the best method of converting each part.

attachicon.gifD53 Sides Cut.jpg

D54 Sides to the left, the cut D53 sides to the right

The upright stanchions on the ends were cut through with a junior hacksaw, and a Stanley knife then used to cut through the top plank. For the sides a ruler was blue-tacked in place and then the top plank was removed this time with the scalpel which took longer but produced a cleaner cut. For removing the strapping I went for a flat chisel scalpel blade and carefully worked along the length of the strap, with great care required not to let the blade dig into the rest of the wagon side. Fine emery paper was used to tidy up some more and a scalpel blade used to try and clear out the recess of the planks where the strap was as these would now become normal recesses. The parts were then stuck together as normal, through the paint shop and another wagon to add to the growing fleet

attachicon.gifD53 - Painted.jpg

Very neatly done - I must press on with mine! Only one question: the square plate on the top of the door is presumably to prevent damage to the woodwork when the door is dropped. You haven't included the door banger spring; is this only appropriate for V-hangar brakes? (I've left it off for scotch braked wagons too.)

It's surprising how many wagons numbered 51149 the L&NW had - I know I have several! I work on the principle that it's difficult to read the number on the end and on the solebar at the same time!

Thank you for your praise. Yes I left the strike plate on the door though I am unsure if there were fitted to D53 or only D54 onwards when the D53's were upgraded (Come on wagons book 3 for the answers!!) The door spring has been left off purely as its a fragile detail which I think is liable to be knocked off most of the wagons anyway so I just have not included it on that basis than knowing if they were fitted to wagons with simple brakes acting on one wheel only.

I feel sorry for the number taker on my wagon fleet, he's going to be scratching his head for sure

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Some progress at last :)

........... D62 Ballast finished and ready to rock and roll........ 

I'm sorry to say, in post #63 - the NWD should be contained within the two 'central straps'...

As per this (partial) photo* from the Penmaenmawr Accident in 1899.

No this picture isn't in the book 'Penmaenmawr, Rails of Granite', by Mike Hitches - Irwell Press,

and the details of LNWR Ballast wagons have yet to appear in LNWR Wagons Trilogy - Vol 3.

You will see however, the CD was on the two outer panels of the other wagon.

There are 4 NWD's visible in the train, 1 CD and numerous 2 plank PO's. 

The SWD's were also set within the central panel too - Because I model the SWD area......

.... and I have a 'Engineer South Wales' engine too, but yet to add on 'Footners Saloon'..

The whole photo is an original 1899 print, very much faded now,

that I found at Hay-on-Wye Castle some 40 years ago.

Dave Pennington of the LNWR Society has done an article on all the Divisions in the Society's Journal, I believe.

post-6979-0-36930100-1483376020.jpg

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry to say, in post #63 - the NWD should be contained within the two 'central straps'...

As per this (partial) photo* from the Penmaenmawr Accident in 1899.

No this picture isn't in the book 'Penmaenmawr, Rails of Granite', by Mike Hitches - Irwell Press,

and the details of LNWR Ballast wagons have yet to appear in LNWR Wagons Trilogy - Vol 3.

You will see however, the CD was on the two outer panels of the other wagon.

There are 4 NWD's visible in the train, 1 CD and numerous 2 plank PO's. 

The SWD's were also set within the central panel too.

The whole photo is an original 1899 print, very much faded now,

that I found at Hay-on-Wye Castle some 40 years ago.

This splendid photo - quite a find - shows one version of the ballast wagon lettering but I think you'll find David has modelled a variation that eluded contemporary photographers... but not Ratio back in 1982!

Some say one should only model a vehicle for which you have photographs from all angles taken on the very day your layout is set; I happen to think there's some advantage in modelling one for which there is no known photographic evidence! But I'm equally happy to go with the balance of probability.

Am I seeing things or do the two NWD wagons in the second extract have some sort of semi-circular flaps to protect the axleboxes (Midland ballast wagons had such) - whereas the CD wagon in the first extract clearly doesn't? 

BTW for those without access to the literature, does NWD stand for "North Wales Division" and CD for "Crewe Division"? If so, what were the initials for the division that covered the Birmingham area and where were they placed? And what's PWD?

Happy New Year to all LNWR wagon builders on here!

Edited by Compound2632

CD was central division based at Crewe, NWD was North Wales District, based at Bangor, and the letters should be spaced at 30inches on the central panel, found out after I had lettered it, got away with it until now lol

It us on my mind to re-letter when I next have a batch of wagons to letter, which should be fairly soon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BTW for those without access to the literature, does NWD stand for "North Wales Division" and CD for "Crewe Division"? If so, what were the initials for the division that covered the Birmingham area and where were they placed? And what's PWD?

Own question answered, thanks to LNWR Liveries, Talbot et al. (HMRS, 1985). From 1889: 

SD Southern Division (Watford)

RD Rugby Division

CD Central Division (Crewe)

BD Birmingham and Walsall Division

ED Eastern Division (Manchester)

WD Western Division (Liverpool)

ND Northern Division (Lancaster)

NWD North Wales Division (Bangor)

SWD South Wales Division (Abergavenny)

PWD was for wagons assigned to Crewe from 1913 onwards for ballasting, new works and major relaying projects.

Ballast wagons had a cast plate fixed to the bottom plank at one end only e.g. L&NWR Co / BALLAST / 140 WD; the district letter code was repeated in cast iron white-painted letters 9" high fixed to the top plank at the same end and on the sides in painted letters 15" high (later 12" high) 30" apart; the diamonds were on the top plank with centres 2'6" from the inner strapping. Relate that to Brassey's photo! But no doubt the article by Dave Pennington gives more detail - and we can but eagerly await LNWR Wagons Vol. 3.

The Ratio waterslide transfer sheet has PWD in 15" letters and all the rest as 12"; the HMRS pressfix sheet has a more limited selection (no B!), again 12" I think.

Sorry, cross-posted with David and Penlan.

Edited by Compound2632

This splendid photo - quite a find - shows one version of the ballast wagon lettering but I think you'll find David has modelled a variation that eluded contemporary photographers... but not Ratio back in 1982!

Some say one should only model a vehicle for which you have photographs from all angles taken on the very day your layout is set; I happen to think there's some advantage in modelling one for which there is no known photographic evidence! But I'm equally happy to go with the balance of probability.

Am I seeing things or do the two NWD wagons in the second extract have some sort of semi-circular flaps to protect the axleboxes (Midland ballast wagons had such) - whereas the CD wagon in the first extract clearly doesn't? 

No.3 Birmingham Div. based at Wallsall covered an area from just north of Rugby station to Birmingham, Weedon, Daventry, Leamington-Coventry and from the south end of Lichfield to the north end of Stafford station.

Re. the flaps, I was under the impression ALL Ballast wagons of whatever company would have those flaps - stand by for massive volley of small/large pebbles...  :O 

Re. PWD - I quote from Dave Pennington 'On Ballast wagons there were some allocated to department level rather than divisions (for new works purposes) and these were lettered PWD (PW Dept) but I have also seen a photo of one lettered HF (H. Footner? Principle Asst PW)'.

Please be mindful this is part of information very kindly passed to me by Dave a few years ago, and some of you may recognise the name, he built that beautiful layout based on Stanmore, LNWR.

I'm sure all the information will be in Vol 3 of LNWR Wagons, as Peter Ellis should have had copies of my photo and Dave's information, a few years ago.

Re. no flaps on CD - I don't know.

Not part of the Q. but there seems to be some lettering on the top plank too

Edited by Penlan