Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

On 15/10/2022 at 17:09, CovDriver said:

We use a system that's operated through Abelio that provide most TOC's with taxis and it's a vast improvement from what it was like. 

I can recall one journey from Coventry to Northampton and the taxi driver was almost at the end of a 16hour shift. 

He couldn't keep his eyes open so I told him to to take a break at Watford Gap services whilst I got a replacement taxi. 

Taxis have always been an issue for transporting traincrew and I totally get "Covdriver"s experience.  We used to have a job from New St to Crewe to bring the DVT set off early morning.  I remember one morning receiving a phone call from the driver saying he was at Stafford services and needed a replacement taxi to take him to Crewe after he had "sacked" the original. 

Earlier, just around the time I started with XC we received a call from a Saltley driver in deepest Oxon.  There was a diagrammed taxi for two drivers from Brum to Old Oak Common to work the first two trains out of Paddington. Their taxi had been stopped by the blues and twos, whereupon Old Bill frogmarched to taxi driver off to their police car and away, leaving our two drivers and the taxi sat in the services. Fair play to the SY men who jumped back in it and drove themselves to Old Oak !!!

Finally, in my previous job at Bescot our local taxi firm in Walsall supplied all our taxis but they admitted defeat at the completion of Ramadam. We ended up with a couple of road licence holder staff driving that company's taxis to get our crew moved. That was thirty odd years ago and those events would never happen these days !!!      

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Covkid said:

That was thirty odd years ago and those events would never happen these days !!!      

you’d be surprised!

ramadan is a particularly bad time for taxis in Birmingham, really struggle to get one of when you do they drive like loonies to get home in time to break their fast

I have known drivers take over driving the taxi themselves after the taxi guy has almost fallen asleep at the wheel, thankfully that was quite a few years back now too

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Covkid said:

Taxis have always been an issue for transporting traincrew and I totally get "Covdriver"s experience

Earlier, just around the time I started with XC we received a call from a Saltley driver in deepest Oxon.  There was a diagrammed taxi for two drivers from Brum to Old Oak Common to work the first two trains out of Paddington. Their taxi had been stopped by the blues and twos, whereupon Old Bill frogmarched to taxi driver off to their police car and away, leaving our two drivers and the taxi sat in the services. Fair play to the SY men who jumped back in it and drove themselves to Old Oak !!

I've heard this from a New St man a while back most definitely a Saltley seagull man in the seat for that job!!!

And as for drivers taking over from the taxi driver has happened up until recently when we had a job doing the last New St to Northampton service and being booked in a taxi back from Northampton to Coventry. 

On 22/10/2022 at 11:12, big jim said:

No not me guv, we don’t do Wolverhampton on our circuit

im enjoying a quiet few days at the caravan before returning to it all next week again 

I just wondered as I was in the area of the station and happened to notice (well hear it, as it made a loud hissing noise before stopping) the unit stopped in P3.  I think it is the first time I've seen an MPV set and it certainly made a fantastic amount of noise as it set off although I doubt anyone living close to anywhere the units need to accelerate away from would appreciate the noise.

• RMweb Gold

The unit engines and auxiliary unit for the jetters aren’t particularly noisy, so he engines sound like a sprinter!

the water jets when running are, but from the cab you can barely hear them as they are very well sound insulated 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2022 at 08:02, Gareth 73 said:

Tried this business of holding trains to time once, more bloody stressful than pulling off and keep them moving regardless 🙃 

Just wait till you get ARS...

Apparently the Hitachi version cannot handle trains running early because of how the software works.

Mind you it also cannot deal with 'as required' or where several paths are timetabled but only one gets used...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Just wait till you get ARS...

Apparently the Hitachi version cannot handle trains running early because of how the software works.

Mind you it also cannot deal with 'as required' or where several paths are timetabled but only one gets used...

That's ok I'm sure there's a command to turn that system off so I can do my job. I'm sure lots of signalmen would be more than happy to sit back and let the system do all the work for them and then just blame the system when something is done wrong (they don't already do that where ARS is active honest cough cough).

Don't know if ARS is used abroad but if so we might get "ARS the European edition" 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Gareth 73 said:

That's ok I'm sure there's a command to turn that system off so I can do my job. I'm sure lots of signalmen would be more than happy to sit back and let the system do all the work for them and then just blame the system when something is done wrong (they don't already do that where ARS is active honest cough cough).

Don't know if ARS is used abroad but if so we might get "ARS the European edition" 

ARS(E) was discussed at a meeting my wife attended concerning the Rail Traffic Management System for Eurotunnel in Paris about 30 years ago..

Hi,

I yet to meet a signaller who users ARS and doesn’t love it.

I was at TVSC a month or so ago and asked a couple of signallers there whether they felt ARS (the Resonate / BR  version),was doing them out of a job, and they firmly disagreed and said that all of their colleagues loved ARS as well. They also really liked the Illuminate TMS software.

They liked it because it allowed them to concentrate on complex areas or dealing with failures as it took care of the simple stuff. From what I’ve seen ARS doesn’t really get it ‘wrong’, it may just act in a different way to a signaller (which doesn’t mean the same thing)

I have no experience or dealings with the Hitachi Software (we must be careful that there is a difference between ARS and TMS software, which I think Hitachi produces both) so can’t comment.

However the BR designed ARS was one of the most (if not the most) advanced system in the world. I think European / Rest of World systems are simple ARS without conflict resolution, which maybe what the Hitachi / Alstom / Seimens systems are.

Simon

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The reasons I've been told by signallers that they won't override is because if ARS causes a delay / poor regulation it can go down as such. If they override it and something goes awry, the delay then falls on them as an 'O code' (ie the delay is blamed on that signaller) even if they can see an obvious clash will occur. 

We have had it regularly where a train is routed along a mainline and is booked in a loop, lets call it Timberborough, to let an HST by. Said HST is sufficiently late that it won't, or wouldnt have, caught the freight by the time they are both routed into a station / reception line, say 15 miles further west where the HST will pass the freight. Signaller would keep the freight on the main, on greens, doing 45 or 60 mph as per the spec of the train.

ARS puts the train into said loop, with a green at the exit signal, so the driver has to slow his freight down to the speed of the points (say 15 or 25 mph), trundle along the loop, over the exit points and then get back to his running speed for no reason.

Anyone who's never driven one, a freight train doesn't accelerate like a passenger train and even an empty one will take time to regain speed. This is a waste of fuel and could be seen as unneccessary extra demand on the freight driver. Additionally. the HST may well catch him up as a result, and that driver is now chasing yellows, adding extra demand and risk to the HST driver. Had the freight been left to run on the main at it's maximum speed, the HST would have had a clear run on greens until checked down for the, let's say, 50 mph junction toward the station.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if the line between crewe and shrewsbury has ARSE (I like to add equipment to the end!) since changing from absoloyre block to being controlled by Cardiff but early on it was a pain if you were a VSTP or ad hoc engineers train as every obstacle detector crossing you approached the protecting signal would stay at red until you got to, or almost to the magnet so with a heavy freight train (normally with a pair of 97s up front) you would have to come almost to a stop so you would never get any sort of progress 

seems to have improved now though 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive only had 2 shifts where where I’ve had to return to the depot as a failure, the first was a shakedown run anyway, they seem pretty robust really when you consider the Windhoff is 22 years old and they pretty much sit round for most of the year getting basic static maintainance then get used in anger in quite demanding work straight away 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to slipping around between Selly Oak and Kings Norton as according to Network Rail that's the only site not been treated. 

And I'm the first one down the Lickey bank.

I'm glad my sand hoppers are full.. 

Cheers 

Colin 

• Friendly/supportive 6