Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
Just now, jamie92208 said:

Is there going to be another new track to allow running round.  It's good to see it being expanded so soon.

Jamie

i recon the current right hand road we use to run round will still be the run round for both sides of the site with a couple of new set of points at the neck end allowing unloading on 4 out of the 5 roads, I assume there will be a new crossing both ends for the unloading machines and wagons to cross the lines 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

I have the top two books in your haul Jim…worth the money for those alone 👍

BeRTIe

thought of you when I saw the cumbrian industrial books! Plenty of books of the same ilk in there and bargain prices too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

The old building at Carnforth is the  very first signal cabin  and its very unusual style  ,is the visitor attraction still in place there?

Yes, it's still open but the opening hours have reduced

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Should be there for 05:00, going to taxi back to new st from there for the train home, im booked to take it to rugby but my relief lives in stetchford so he said he’d get on there, tbh there’s not much difference in the time I get back if I stayed on to rugby! 

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, big jim said:

due to a serious bridge defect between Oxford and didcot the line is closed, likely to be for a number of weeks too 

One of my colleagues has been caught out by that too - she was supposed to be going from Winchester to Oxford tomorrow, and has realised that with both that and engineering works, it's going to be a bus prettty much all the way...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2023 at 10:58, Nick C said:

One of my colleagues has been caught out by that too - she was supposed to be going from Winchester to Oxford tomorrow, and has realised that with both that and engineering works, it's going to be a bus prettty much all the way...

this isn’t going to be an overnight fix that’s for sure! 

I was kind of hoping to get allocated to a few chiltern diversions next week but I’ve got the milling machine  again and trafford park which is via Wembley again due to the above and a nice little Mountsorrel on Friday 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2023 at 17:28, big jim said:

this isn’t going to be an overnight fix that’s for sure! 

I was kind of hoping to get allocated to a few chiltern diversions next week but I’ve got the milling machine  again and trafford park which is via Wembley again due to the above and a nice little Mountsorrel on Friday 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-65238311

It's certainly a bit poorly! Photos of the abutment about halfway down that page...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Back to the miller again after actually having Easter weekend off! 

last night was in atherstone, longer to get to and from there than to do the job!

bescot 

IMG_0046.HEIC

Into ‘Asda sidings’ in nuneaton to change ends 

IMG_0047.HEIC

Atherstone 

FullSizeRender_kFEEMmeaTR3WZ4FCAUFdEo.jp

Machine split off and hauled to the end of the job, 200m round the corner! 
FullSizeRender_1PdKwQj428BDJxqUzjYzm6.jp

Once back together and ready to depart it was off to Stafford to change ends again 

IMG_0051.HEIC

IMG_0052.HEIC

IMG_0053.HEIC

and back to bescot, left site 2 hours early but due to possessions and being routed through Wolverhampton to turn the machine it took me 6 hours to get back to bescot! 

on it again tonight in Lichfield this time 

Jim, I love your thread, your night time shots, the fact that you can and do stand where us enthusiast’s can’t.  I reckon there is a book there, if you can see yourself as an author?

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

That museum has certainly been expanded a lot since we visited some years ago - £22 does not seem excessive for such an interesting place - a yearly pass to Ironbridge actually cost us a lot more than that - £35 - and it's gone up this year.  It seems that all the major open air museums are now offering a year's admission rather than a daily one.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

So as well as having a route card the length of three people's arms and a list of traction you can drive nearly as long you are also qualified to leggit around the Midlands!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 45156 said:

It seems that all the major open air museums are now offering a year's admission rather than a daily one.

I don't blame them. "Let's go to the xyz museum today. The ticket price covers admission for the whole year," so they go once and never go back again.