RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Bruced said:

Jim, One of your 66’s has escaped in Scotland. 

IMG_7970.jpeg

Massive thanks to the driver of this loco who gave me and my lad a cab ride up and down the platform. It’s my boys favourite engine class so he was absolutely thrilled. (I was more thrilled by the class 37s thrashing up the hill 😃)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Nice to chat to you on Tuesday Jim, totally by coincidence! Nearly saw you again today…I was at Carlisle heading home and the 805 pulled in. In the time it took me to finish my conversation you must’ve got in the hot seat and were off again. The 805 was in Preston when I arrived, but when I headed over I spoke to SB who said you’d already gone!

I'll be back up at Carlisle next week…I’m not stalking, honest! 😇

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1

Thanks for an interesting post you certainly  did some traveling good to see pics of Glasgow I always enjoyed my trips there Central is indeed a great place and has a special atmosphere,how does it feel to doing 110mph over the WCML?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

And you would have been able to do 100 through Carstairs with the new layout.  (110 EPS for pendos).

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And you would have been able to do 100 through Carstairs with the new layout.  (110 EPS for pendos).

Paul.

yeah the new set up is impressive, only downside was a 50 esr at the north end so couldn’t give it the beans 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And we all thought you were going to stay away from trains!

Jonathan

Jim relaxes away from trains on trains! He just can't keep away. Just the way I like to live my life.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I notice the timber wagon is still at the end of the headshunt at Coleham. I assume it had a hot box or similar.

And a question. A few weeks ago I saw the Aberystwyth logs pass through Newtown with an NR 97 and a non-ERTMS fitted 37 (Harry Needle I think). How does that work?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Yeah the wagon is still there. Don’t know why though,

they can send non ertms fitted locos down there as long as it’s not the leading loco, they would be in multi so they can both power, that will be why it was down there 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks. So some shunting at Aber.

Jonathan

Ill have to ask my mate at colas how it’s done but it’s possible the non ertms loco could go dead on the rear of the train to aber as it’s a lot lighter and down hill that way then be fired up and multi’d to the 97 for the heavy run back up tallerddig 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see the distant ground signals. I have come across one before somewhere completely different but as you say they are pretty rare. Two different designs, too. Now everyone will be trying to find an excuse for one on their model railway.

At least you didn't get delayed by horses on the line - north of Abergavenny on Saturday afternoon. There was also a fatality between Birmingham and Wolverhampton over the weekend.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

They aren’t ‘distant’ signals but proper shunt discs, the difference being you can pass them as described in the previous post 

I seem to remember the sidings around dr days junction in Bristol have (or maybe now had) LED colour light versions of them 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, big jim said:

They aren’t ‘distant’ signals but proper shunt discs, the difference being you can pass them as described in the previous post 

I seem to remember the sidings around dr days junction in Bristol have (or maybe now had) LED colour light versions of them 

Hi Jim,

Yep, there's at least one 'Yellow-Yellow' Shunt at Bristol, a couple of Swindon, one at Chessington South and a couple more around the country. Banned for new works since 2002.

Mechanical Yellow Shunts are very rare, the only one I've seen is on the Mid Hants at Medstead!

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting to see the distant ground signals. I have come across one before somewhere completely different but as you say they are pretty rare. Two different designs, too. Now everyone will be trying to find an excuse for one on their model railway.

Jonathan

They are way over used on Model Railways, as everyone assumes you use for signalling into a Headshunt or Private Line, which is true, but they were always fairly rare.

Simon

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1