Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2020 at 09:04, big jim said:

ballast drop last night, didn’t make it as far as iron horses house though!

He hasn't responded to this yet, should someone go and tell him he can stop standing at the bottom of his garden with a mug of tea on the end of a long pole waiting for you?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, JDW said:

He hasn't responded to this yet, should someone go and tell him he can stop standing at the bottom of his garden with a mug of tea on the end of a long pole waiting for you?

I could ring him to let him know, but where’s the fun in that.....:laugh:

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently If you live down south tonight (south coast) keep an eye on the local news for a nice bit of GBRf related news

If someone can tell us what BBC Region the south coast is we in other parts of the country may be able to tune in too

cant say much more than that 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, big jim said:

Apparently If you live down south tonight (south coast) keep an eye on the local news for a nice bit of GBRf related news

If someone can tell us what BBC Region the south coast is we in other parts of the country may be able to tune in too

cant say much more than that 

It would depend whereabouts in the "South".

On 19/04/2020 at 09:04, big jim said:

ballast drop last night, didn’t make it as far as iron horses house though!

I was gutted, was looking forward to some tones from the railway (never get any by the house), I did notice the fresh ballast the other day when I went to the surgery!!!! You were busy

On 22/04/2020 at 15:32, JDW said:

On 22/04/2020 at 16:17, Phil Mc said:

I could ring him to let him know, but where’s the fun in that.....:laugh:

Thanks guys, I've just come in the weather has turned :laugh_mini:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Thanks guys, I've just come in the weather has turned :laugh_mini:

At least it stayed nice for you, you must have an impressive sun tan by now

• Funny 1

Great pictures and videos as usual Jim, and as ever (but especially now) thanks for taking them and sharing the operations of the present day railway with us from your unique viewpoint.

I do like Rugeley TV station...lots of curves and a power station as a backdrop! I can’t imagine there were many on that sleeper however...

Jack.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Jack374 said:

I do like Rugeley TV station...lots of curves and a power station as a backdrop! I can’t imagine there were many on that sleeper however...

It is however the true social distancing train, I mean it is individual compartments with one or two people in each one, and a layover at each end for cleaning. It could be the future.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Rugeley TV was my local station after the restoration of the train service to Birmingham.  I was last there in December after visiting my brother who still lives in the town and I was amazed just how transformed the station now is, and how busy it was.  The hourly direct London services seemed to be well used and even the Birmingham services, which had suffered abysmal performance after WMT/LNW tried to squeeze a gallon out of an eggcup with consequent frequent cancellations, seemed to be doing well.  Compared to the 1970s, when I was at secondary school in the town and the Trent Valley local service was clinging on by it's fingernails, it's never been better.

After all, the railway is a service to it's users first and foremost even if the variety of stock isn't there for enthusiasts.