Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

BR Blue/Grey lining ... How best to tackle it.

Hi all,

With a Dc Kits class 304 Emu in the post i am trying to get a good idea of how best to tackle the paint job. Having found rattle cans to be excellent at giving me a factory finish i am happy that painting my model with this method will give me my best finish. 

What i am struggling with is the white lining that goes around the grey on the side of blue/grey stock. I've recently bought a lining pen & after trying & trying to get a good line i have given up because i just cannot get a good finish. 

Do i have any other options or is it a case of leave it off ??

Simon

• RMweb Premium

HMRS do some lining transfers - some people get on OK with these.

Keep working with the pen - once you get the hang of it its should be OK especially as its a single white line. Spray up a sheet of plasticard  with something like grey undercoat and practice for a while.  Stir your paint well before use.

Guest 40-something

Get someone else to do the lining for you!!! (Lining 12 maroon coaches recently reduced me to a gibbering wreck!!!)

Seriously, I used a mixture of fox and HMRS transfers, I preferred the waterslide Fox ones.  Cut them up into small lengths and work slowly along the bodyshells, and if you get frustrated, walk away and come back to it later.

Would love to see your completed 304

I did this class 114 using Fox lining. It's a bit fiddly but OK if you take your time.

post-7005-0-26037100-1366449132.jpg

Also found a pic of this green lightweight done the same way:

post-7005-0-38862800-1366450078.jpg

I found it much easier to apply the lining if the whole thing was gloss varnished first, followed by a coat of matt after lining and lettering.

• 1 month later...

Archived