Photos of Semaphores on the Southern in Sussex

• RMweb Premium

As an aside from all the activity; here is my only picture of one of the two remaining (up until this weekend) semaphore signals at Billingshurst. Both are to the south of the station - the up departure signal being replaced a few years ago when the platforms were extended. Sorry for the quality, but due to its location, I could only get a picture from the train...

post-6831-0-88390100-1394902329_thumb.jpg

The old up departure can just be seen to the right of this picture, taken in October 2009, when Billingshurst still had a four coach-length platform.

post-6831-0-14320600-1394902747.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As an aside from all the activity; here is my only picture of one of the two remaining (up until this weekend) semaphore signals at Billingshurst. Both are to the south of the station - the up departure signal being replaced a few years ago when the platforms were extended. Sorry for the quality, but due to its location, I could only get a picture from the train...

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=395675

Billingshurst up home signal (BT13) ;)

post-22403-0-81197200-1395705309.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see at least something surviving from the old signals!

The box itself has now gone - disappeared at about 2am on Saturday night/Sunday Morning. Despite earlier reports saying it was destined for the Bluebell Railway at East Grinstead, its new home is Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Signal-box-moves-home-as-part-of-21m-investment-in-Arun-Valley-line-2032.aspx

According to this site, both Pulborough and Amberley boxes will remain in situ (logical for Amberley as it is integral to the station), which is good, but given some of the pond-life that seem to be resident in the area, one hopes it is kept in good order or there will always be the risk it succumbs to vandalism. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I recently took the photos of semaphores at Bexhill and have now rounded up some of the nice set at Hastings, which was still there in 2014. I think that the Newhaven ones have now both gone. The shot with the crossover being removed was shortly before the one at Newhaven Town was dismantled. The scaffolding used can be seen. That signal was made redundant by the crossover's removal. Both the shots showing the Newhaven crossover are details from larger photos, taken at a distance from the footbridge at the other end of the station, hence the fuzzy quality.

post-14351-0-90605600-1422871121_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-82458600-1422871122_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-32238700-1422871125_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-28783000-1422871126_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-52706100-1422871128_thumb.jpg 

post-14351-0-27569500-1422871127_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-20375600-1422886370_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Not if they are LED ones :tomato:

Nice pics though!

Jon F.

I hadn't realized that this ancient form of signalling had been updated with LEDs. At a distance it is hard to tell but I suspect the Eastbourne one is LED, but, unless anyone would rather I didn't, I will leave this one photo here to show that the semaphore idea is still in use.

I hadn't realized that this ancient form of signalling had been updated with LEDs. At a distance it is hard to tell but I suspect the Eastbourne one is LED, but, unless anyone would rather I didn't, I will leave this one photo here to show that the semaphore idea is still in use.

Oh yes, keep the pic in, they are the last link we have with the old ways.  Keep posting them please, the pics are wonderful :locomotive:

Cheers

Jon F.

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, keep the pic in, they are the last link we have with the old ways.  Keep posting them please, the pics are wonderful :locomotive:

Cheers

Jon F.

Thanks for that. There are a few Southern / Sussex photos in Dad's collection that have signals, albeit on the edge of the prints. Do we want to back-track or are we just looking at the last of the breed?

If fact I can only find one Sussex area photo - at Hove - so I'll stick it in here - it dates from 1957

post-14351-0-85320900-1423599949_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Another shot from the fairly recent past at Amberley and one from Hampden Park from 2013. The signals in the second photo are once again tiny and at left of the photo. under the footbridge.

I have also unearthed a single post signal which must have been at the northern end of Newhaven Harbour station. I have paired it with a different view of the bracket signal to the south of Newhaven Town station.

Later ... I have just found a photo taken from the Newhaven Harbour Station footbridge, in which I can see the signal at the far end of the up platform, but again it is fairly small, so I won't strain your eyesight with it.

post-14351-0-61116400-1423581761_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-96551400-1423585547_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-17837800-1423587672_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On my way past on Thursday I am sure I spotted a semaphore signal at the up end of the Newhaven Marine Station. The Harbour box which controls access to Marine from the Seaford line, appears to have a nice set of levers. I have not been able to get back there on foot to see what I can capture. When I do, I will return!

I have just remembered that I have photos from the Seaford 150 celebrations, of 70013 pulling into Newhaven Marine to take on water from ESFRS water bowsers. This is the clearest, with the signal beside the loco.post-14351-0-99738400-1425771938_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have at long last got round to routing my weekly trip to Lidl's via the beach and Newhaven Marine. Here is the result. The white planking to the left of the photo is the end of the very long station canopy and the big blue structures are parts of the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry terminal ramp structure. post-14351-0-34411600-1429373702_thumb.jpg

25.8.2015 - It's still there!

December 2015 - It is still there, although the platform canopy has now been removed.

• 7 months later...

Excellent thread. As soon as I saw the title, I thought: I hope this has that lattice post at Amberley in it. Which it did!

Slightly longer gone signals, but does anyone have a photo of the ones that were between Grove Junction and Tunbridge Wells West?

It could well be a trick of the memory, but I seem to think that one had a wooden post.

When I get a spare hour to do some scanning, I will try to give you semaphores Birchden Jct, Eridge, Crowborough, Buxted and Uckfield, as well as The West, all of which i have slides of.

Kevin

Good afternoon,

Just a couple of RHTT photos taken over the last week or so.

First up, just outside Pulborough station. This is the 399N in poor light on 3rd November 2015.

Pulborugh RHTT (1280x853).jpg

Here is the 367N storming through Amberley this afternoon.

RHTT Amberley (1280x960).jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

The MPVs run around as 3Sxx Jeremy. Don't take any notice of Briefcase Rail.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have at long last got round to routing my weekly trip to Lidl's via the beach and Newhaven Marine. Here is the result. The white planking to the left of the photo is the end of the very long station canopy and the big blue structures are parts of the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry terminal ramp structure. attachicon.gifNewhaven Marine's signal 18 4 2015.jpg

25.8.2015 - It's still there!

December 2015 - It is still there, although the platform canopy has now been removed.

It appears that the two sets of  junction signals at Littlehampton were still there last December. There is a photo in the West Coastway thread. Newhaven Marine's is still there, so it could still claim the title, should Littlehampton's have bitten the dust by now.

Archived