Help needed with correct colours for Midland signal box

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I am in the middle of modelling the signal box for my layout Bakewell set on the Peak District mainline.

I have used the Ratio Midland box as the basis for my model, with modifications to match the prototype.

I'm struggling to find confirmation of what colours I should use for various bits.

The only colour photo I can find is this one, which isn't very clear:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index48.shtml

From that I have determined that the main timbers are Crimson Lake, and the planking in Midland Cream.

A closer picture in black and white shows more detail,

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index131.shtml

but I can't work out what colour the footway round the front of the box should be - crimson lake or black, and whether the window frames are white or cream.

I've seen pictures of other Midland boxes, but they seem to vary from place to place.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Most of the footboards I saw / climbed on where plain wood - treated but unpainted, so creosote type finish.

Gulf Red and Cream were standard LMR colours, you won't be far (if at all) wrong is you use them, make the cream towards the white end to cover both bases ! -  and weather the box.

Panelling - Chrome Yellow (not cadmium yellow which is too green)

Framing - Venetian Red including window frames.

Doors - debatable Crimson but possibly Venitian Red. I would go with the entrance to the box as Crimson but the door to the store as Venitian Red

Iron work - black

Windows - white or possibly Denby Cream

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for your replies,

I'm trying a number of different options, as the Railmatch cream I've used does look very green.

Dave, I'm guessing the box wouldn't have been repainted since the grouping, and maybe not even then, although I may be doing the Bakewell staff a disservice, they might have repainted it every 6 months!

The finished model will be available to view on my layout thread shortly.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alastair

Have you looked on the Disused Stations site at Bakewell. There is not a colour photo of the signal box, but some nice black and white ones. There are somne colour shots of the station and the framing of the signal box was the same red (maroon) as the doors etc. on the station building and the rest of the woodwork the same light cream as the wood work on the station. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index1c.shtml

Clive

EDIT ....feel like a right pilock .....should have read the opening post in full instead of jumping in with both feet. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I'm guessing the box wouldn't have been repainted since the grouping, and maybe not even then, although I may be doing the Bakewell staff a disservice, they might have repainted it every 6 months!

It's more likely it would have been repainted than not - it's wooden and repainting was part of the maintenance cycle.

(But it's your layout)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alastair

Have you looked on the Disused Stations site at Bakewell. There is not a colour photo of the signal box, but some nice black and white ones. There are somne colour shots of the station and the framing of the signal box was the same red (maroon) as the doors etc. on the station building and the rest of the woodwork the same light cream as the wood work on the station. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index1c.shtml

Clive

EDIT ....feel like a right pilock .....should have read the opening post in full instead of jumping in with both feet. :no:

Clive, it was very thoughtful of you to suggest those photos, thanks. You never know, I might not have known about them.

All is forgiven... :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

It's more likely it would have been repainted than not - it's wooden and repainting was part of the maintenance cycle.

(But it's your layout)

Yes, I'm sure you're right, and it may be my layout, but I want it to be correct as well! Especially since you and others have been so helpful, It'd be wrong to ignore your advice.

Thanks.

Al

Archived