Atso-Cad Models - 2014 Range Suggestions

Atso

Good morning,

I am please to inform you that I regained access to the Atso-Cad Models web page and mailing list last weekend. Updates include product descriptions of my 3D printed bodies and kits from Shapeways.com as well as a short article on how to gain the best finish on a 3D print.

The web page can be found at www.atso-cadmodels.co.uk

For those hoping for news on the 'Pigeon Van' I am afraid this remains out of production for the moment. I hope to be back in production with some mainstream kits later this year.

All the best

Steve Da Costa

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I'm please to announce that a new 3D printed kit has been released and my first non LNER subject, the Fowler Patriot!

post-943-0-69283500-1379102351.jpg

The print consists of the loco body and is designed to fit a Graham Farish Jubilee chassis. The loco chassis weight will need to be filed level as in original condition the Patriot did not have a tapered boiler! The existing Stanier tender attached to the Jubilee can be used or for those wishing to model the Fowler tender a Union Mills tender drive could be substituted (as per the photograph).

The price of the print is c. £23 (Shapeways trades in Euros so prices may vary slightly).

Orders can be taken via my Shapeways shop: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Atso-CadModels

Time constraints still hamper producing any further resin kits. If there is sufficient interest I may release some earlier products as direct 3D printed kits.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm looking at the 2014 3D printed range and so far I've condensed the list to the following:

BR

Standard 3MT tender loco (for Farish 4MT chassis)

LNER

Peppercorn K1 - for 4MT or Kato C11

Gresley K2 - for 4MT or Kato C11

Gresley K4 - for 4MT or Kato C11

J6 - for 4MT

J50 - for new Farish Pannier or Jinty

J52 - for new Farish Pannier

O4 - for Dapol 38xx

LMS

Original Condition Royal Scott - for Farish rebuilt Scott

Stanier 4P 2-6-4 - for Farish Fairburn tank

Ivatt Class 4 - for 4MT

Southern

K Class - 4MT

P Class - Dapol Terrier

H Class - Dapol M7

GWR

43xx - 4MT

All of these are dependant on how well they will fit the intended chassis so the list may be subject to change. However, the 4MT based kits are likely to become available first (although some locos may need to lose their DCC capability due to space in the tender).

I'm happy to entertain further suggestions for N gauge kits but please remember that I also have a day job and the list is already quite ambitious! 

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your interest.

These are entirely dependant on how well the donor chassis fits the requirements with minimal compromise. In the case of the 43xx I already expect to have to make some compromises to the tender in order to fit the Farish 4MT tender drive, if it appears that this would spoil the overall character of the locomotive then it will have to be put on the back burner.

Some of these are already in the early stages of development and I hope that some new products will be available as 3D prints within the next couple of months.

I'd really like an N gauge EM1/Class 76, so if you're ever contemplating one of those let me know before I eventually get round to one

Nice range of stuff, some of them I find very tempting but I'm doing my best to not start 'another' project.

Hi Markus, I wasn't planning to do a Scottish one but I guess I should as quite a few of the class made their way up that way...

Red Devil, an EM1? I've not done a 'box on wheels' yet but could present some new challenges - at least the prototype was built for the right company! Any idea if their are drawings available, what to put under it and any suggestions regarding suitable pantographs?

Hi Markus, I wasn't planning to do a Scottish one but I guess I should as quite a few of the class made their way up that way...

Red Devil, an EM1? I've not done a 'box on wheels' yet but could present some new challenges - at least the prototype was built for the right company! Any idea if their are drawings available, what to put under it and any suggestions regarding suitable pantographs?

Drawings I've got some, not sure how accurate but they're yours if you want them. I don't know for sure but I'd bet Kato/Tomix do a pantograph, I think a Kato chassis is suitable too. I'll have to dredge the depths of my memory/google like buggery to check which one it is..... 

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Drawings are in Model Railway Constructor March 1981 or the Model Railway Constructor Plan Book 3 BR Electric Locos

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railway-Constructor-Planbook-Electric-Locomotives/dp/0711015015

Pantographs are available from Somerfeldt. Chassis from the Brawa E42 or 242

Pictures of two of mine below. 

Cheers

Paul

For the 43xx, could you not use the Ixion Manor as a donor? IIRC it's the same tender and coupled wheelbase, so all that would be needed is the loco bodyshell and a front pony to be sourced from somewhere?

I'd be interested in a Pigeon Van from the earlier range.

Cheers,

Pix

For the 43xx, could you not use the Ixion Manor as a donor? IIRC it's the same tender and coupled wheelbase, so all that would be needed is the loco bodyshell and a front pony to be sourced from somewhere?

I'd be interested in a Pigeon Van from the earlier range.

Cheers,

Pix

Funnily enough I was looking at the Manor last night as a better solution. The main problem here is what to do about the con rod as it is too long for the 43xx. I'm trying to make things as easy for the modeller as possible and sourcing shorter con rods doesn't fit in with this... I'll have a think and see if I can come up with an easy solution to this problems as you are correct and the Manor lends itself better to this conversion than the 4MT.

I'd like to do the pigeon van again, however I'm trying to make it as cheap as possible to print while still retaining enough rigidity to make it usable. The old kit was great but rather expensive to print the master (sorry I've not got the resources available at the moment to offer it as a resin kt again).

• RMweb Premium

Manor would make sense, the only downside being that they are harder to get that the 4MT.

Manor would make sense, the only downside being that they are harder to get that the 4MT.

Hi Kris, yes that is a problem. I've not been able to source any new and the secondhand market is commanding somewhat high prices at the moment... Hmm, maybe the 4MT after all. I need to obtain one anyway for some of the other projects so I'll make a decision once this has been done.

Interested in LNER 2-6-0s, but the idea of a 4MT chassis fills me with trepidation- I've now had three through my hands, two of which locked up within the first hour after purchase, and the current one locks up occasionally and has very poor pickup.   With small drivers might the K1 be a fit on the 2MT chassis?

I'm also looking at the L1 with a view to using a 2MT plus a spare bogie or a 3MT tank plus bogie as the thing is to be DCC.  Chipping it might be an issue if I start from the tender loco. Getting a chassis sorted always comes first when I buy a body, though my Foxhunter A1s started out by purchasing namepletes!

All the very best

Les

PS - I only have to stand in front of a layout at an exhibition and any 4MT that comes into view immediately locks up!

Goodness me Les, you seem to be one unlucky guy with 4MTs!  :dontknow: I wish you'd posted this about 12 hours ago as I've just managed to source a 4MT to measure!

Please whatever you do, do not look at any of the pictures of the prototypes once I've had them printed - you may pass your curse onto everyone!  :lol:

Re the L1: I've been looking at the Kato C56 chassis as a possible donor for this. The valve gear, wheel size and spacing all look correct in the pictures I've seen and the new motor design looks like it'll fit inside the L1 body. Add a bogie on the back and you've got the 2-6-4 wheel arrangement needed - I've not tested this yet.

The K3 can be mounted onto a Kato C11/C50 chassis powered by a Union Mills tender drive. Not an exact match but doesn't look too bad, maybe it'll work for a K1 or K2 as well. I've added a picture of my current progress with the K3 but please note that it was temporarily attached to a Dapol B1 tender as I was seeing if I could use a UJ to make use of the original loco gearing.

post-943-0-31702300-1389575115_thumb.jpg

Just some other options I've been investigating as well - I hope this provides you with a glimmer of hope that all is not lost!  :jester:

Cheers

Steve

Archived