"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Thank you for that Jaz, though I'n not so sure that Robinsons clay jobs beat my cardboard one's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, just for you (and hopefully to make Robinson buck his ideas up ) some more sunshine shots, taken fresh today.

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-28859000-1392817738_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-67746000-1392817751_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-25950600-1392817766_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-35868300-1392817788_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-42873700-1392817812_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-10360700-1392817839_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-67552500-1392817880_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-64924700-1392817920_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Eat your tony heart out!

Here is a picture my son drew of a house on canvas.... :D

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pete

I think you should build it. Build it with him and we have another modeller in the making. I have two daughters and over the years I've built everything from Saxon forts to volcanoes, great fun and really messy. My youngest still has Thomas etc. though now 13 she doesn't play with it any more!

• Like 1

mullie, on 19 Feb 2014 - 16:51, said:

I think you should build it. Build it with him and we have another modeller in the making. I have two daughters and over the years I've built everything from Saxon forts to volcanoes, great fun and really messy. My youngest still has Thomas etc. though now 13 she doesn't play with it any more!

I still play with my Thomas The Tank Engine and I'm 78 ! And Robinsons got a cabbage patch doll and he's older than me ! - oh, and if you see Peter Kern, tell him that Arlington Row is all boxed up and ready for tiling !

Cheers.

Allan

Surely if you turn it up the other way the braces would be correct, they'd just be on the outside?

I would call that turning them round rather than turning them over. The braces would be correct if you did that but it wouldn't look very good and would probably cause problems with hinges and locks

While I was at work Mythocentric explained it better than I would have done. When they are like the drawing the weight of the door is pushing the braces down on the bottom and mid rail. If they are the other way up the braces are pulling away from the rails

Dave

• Like 1

Who would have thought upside down doors could generate so much comment!

Hi mullie

They are not upside down our kid! As Chalfytich pointed out, just switch them to the opposite posts ....SORTED! Anyhow you wouldn't believe the number of times I've seen (professional?) builders and an even greater multitude of modellers hang them like that!

My personal favorite is sash windows. I always fit them with the sliding/opening sash at the bottom because that's the way I remember them from my childhood in east Lancashire. Yet when I do I can almost guarantee that someone, somewhere will point out (usually with an adenoidal intonation) "Excuse me! You do know that's wrong don't you?"

Cie la vie!

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

This business of upside down braced and ledged doors has been haunting model makers and builders both since time begun!

It's a common and very easy mistake to make and  I've lost count of the number of times I've done it and once, after being invited around by a neighbour who was..... wait for it .....a carpenter, to look at his new double 8Ft high gates into his drive I noticed that he too had hung them upside down - "So Allan, whaddya think, proper gates, not like your daft 3Ft high jobs?!"

"Well" said I, a modelmaker and not  a carpenter "I'll give 'em week and they'll be dragging on the floor  "

"Absolute rubbish ! " protested he " I'm a carpenter, you stick to cutting up cardboatd, and I'll stick to cutting up wood "

Seven days later he couldn't open them as the strap hinges gave up the struggle as the doors slumped down and away from their posts.

"Er" said I " Don't worry, a good modelmaker will soon sort those out for you " !!!!

• Like 3

Hi mullie

They are not upside down our kid! As Chalfytich pointed out, just switch them to the opposite posts ....SORTED! Anyhow you wouldn't believe the number of times I've seen (professional?) builders and an even greater multitude of modellers hang them like that!

My personal favorite is sash windows. I always fit them with the sliding/opening sash at the bottom because that's the way I remember them from my childhood in east Lancashire. Yet when I do I can almost guarantee that someone, somewhere will point out (usually with an adenoidal intonation) "Excuse me! You do know that's wrong don't you?"

Cie la vie!

Bill

The bottom sash should always be closest on the indoors side - if it were the other way around, the latch to lock the sashes would be outside!

• Like 1

This business of upside down braced and ledged doors has been haunting model makers and builders both since time begun!

It's a common and very easy mistake to make and  I've lost count of the number of times I've done it and once, after being invited around by a neighbour who was..... wait for it .....a carpenter, to look at his new double 8Ft high gates into his drive I noticed that he too had hung them upside down - "So Allan, whaddya think, proper gates, not like your daft 3Ft high jobs?!"

"Well" said I, a modelmaker and not  a carpenter "I'll give 'em week and they'll be dragging on the floor  "

"Absolute rubbish ! " protested he " I'm a carpenter, you stick to cutting up cardboatd, and I'll stick to cutting up wood "

Seven days later he couldn't open them as the strap hinges gave up the struggle as the doors slumped down and away from their posts.

"Er" said I " Don't worry, a good modelmaker will soon sort those out for you " !!!!

You mean on the wrong side not upside down  :nono:

Dave

Chalfytich, on 19 Feb 2014 - 18:37, said:

You mean on the wrong side not upside down  :nono:

Dave

No Dave, they were on the right side - opposite to the strap hinges with the plain side swinging outwards - but upside down when taking the wrong angle that the braces were orientated into account  :nono:

Cheers.

Allan

Hummm! Methinks I'm detecting a touch of pedantry here chaps! Time to relax with a nice cup of tea!

post-14791-0-50274700-1392845456.jpg

Now! Is that one or two sugars?

Regards

Bill

PS: Don't you dare mullie! That's a cracking little model you've come up with there so just ignore us lot and do what you want! (What's the betting that someone tells you where to get venetian blinds of the right size?). :scratchhead: :declare:

• RMweb Premium

When I was at Chester, my landlady had sash windows which opened either at the top or bottom. 

When I built this model about fifteen years ago, I used the Wills window pack (and dressed stone sheets). To give the building some 'life' I modelled several doors and windows in an open position. Being thoughtful, I had the sash window of the stationmaster's office open at the top, so his papers (modelled on a desk just visible in the second shot) wouldn't blow onto the floor... 

post-16840-0-97469800-1392845423_thumb.jpg

post-16840-0-93070500-1392845439_thumb.jpg

The photos are from near the end of construction when I just had the final details and weathering to sort out. The building dates from when I'd just returned to modelling - I've learnt a lot about scratchbuilding, colours and photography since this was built, but I am still fond of it, for all it's mistakes. 

• Like 3

I still play with my Thomas The Tank Engine and I'm 78 ! And Robinsons got a cabbage patch doll and he's older than me ! - oh, and if you see Peter Kern, tell him that Arlington Row is all boxed up and ready for tiling !

Cheers.

Allan

You do realise that time goes more slowly in 4mm scale right? In real terms even though I'm behind you I'm ahead of you. Think "theory of relativity" in scale terms. So go ahead and finish. Cuz although I'm still scribing, I actually finished ages ago and now I'm building an oil refinery

Plus in scale terms that roof is going to take you right through the year....

Edited by Peterkern23
  • Like 1

allan downes, on 19 Feb 2014 - 22:22, said:

Never mind all that, how do they punch a hole in a slate/ stone tile for nailing to the battens without either shattering ?

Beats me and I was a builder !

Cheers.

Allan.

OK Guys, all sorted, found out how on youtube, they just punch a hole in them with a spiked hammer - of course, I knew that already .... :no:

Cheers.

Allan

Next we'll have walls that are inside-out! ;)

Well, there was the building I made some years ago where the last wall to add the brick paper to was exactly the same shape and size as the last offcut of brick paper I had left.

It wasn't until the glue had dried that I realised the brick courses were running vertically.....

OK Guys, all sorted, found out how on youtube, they just punch a hole in them with a spiked hammer - of course, I knew that already .... :no:

Cheers.

Allan

I doubt if they punch holes in a stone tile with a spiked hammer, not with any consistency anyway. You can use a spiked hammer or hammer a nail through on most slates and they go through easily.

The top and bottom sash on sash windows both slide, well until they seize up with paint anyway. The top one is always outside the bottom one. I'm a builder as well which is why I replied to these posts.

Dave 

If anyone's interested I once got referred to a really interesting site about television test cards...

I'm beginning to dread putting my little post office up (still painting the roof) because it's got an open sash window and neither halve slides!

Time for bed!

Bill

• Like 2

If anyone's interested I once got referred to a really interesting site about television test cards...

I'm beginning to dread putting my little post office up (still painting the roof) because it's got an open sash window and neither halve slides!

Time for bed!

Bill

Scalelink's do.

Cheers.

Allan.

Hummm! Methinks I'm detecting a touch of pedantry here chaps! Time to relax with a nice cup of tea!

Now! Is that one or two sugars?

Regards

Bill

PS: Don't you dare mullie! That's a cracking little model you've come up with there so just ignore us lot and do what you want! (What's the betting that someone tells you where to get venetian blinds of the right size?). :scratchhead: :declare:

Think I'd prefer a beer, myself:

german+beer.jpg

• Like 2

I doubt if they punch holes in a stone tile with a spiked hammer, not with any consistency anyway. You can use a spiked hammer or hammer a nail through on most slates and they go through easily.

The top and bottom sash on sash windows both slide, well until they seize up with paint anyway. The top one is always outside the bottom one. I'm a builder as well which is why I replied to these posts.

Dave 

The back of our house faces roughly south west and the driving rain makes land fall for the first time since Canada apparently. When they built the second extension on our house in in around 2000 (before we moved here) they appear to have clipped each slate at the rear on individually to make sure they don't blow away in a place that is more or less always windy to a greater or lesser extent. I've not seen this in a modern house before or since.There are no trees to lessen the strength either and we are approximately 500ft above sea level in an exposed position.