RMweb

"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

That's a nice surprise coming across that today Allan, I never knew you had made a version of Hemyock but then again I don't think I was doing or reading any modelling around that time.

I bet it took you a lot less time than mine is taking me. It looks very good.

Thanks for posting 

Jim

Hi Jim.

Didn't you display the building of Hemyock on YMRC ?

Anyway, I have just taken a brief look at your 'Hemyock' thread here on RMweb and was mightily impressed and I have to say that it's closer to the prototype than mine ever was so how about re showing it on here for the guys to see ?

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Gold

I bought an IKEA bookcase recently JCL - most definitely ex MFI !

Cheers.

Allan

Yeah, they aren't great, but they'll be good enough to help put the house on the market. And soft closing drawers, who doesn't want that?

One other thing, still off topic, I watched the film Quadrophenia tonight and kept noticing the "railway action" in the background. There's no hope for me!

Re grainy Hemyock.

On closer inspection of the  photo's sent from MR, they were iether downloded from a computer or photocopied but either way, the quality isn't all that good after scanning no matter how much you edit the pics on the Cannon photo's manager.

Innit.

Cheers.

Allan.

MFI, Made For Idiots. Now that brings back memories. Plastic wood grain, even more plastic chipboard and cheap hinges and screws.

A free funny icon to the first person who comes up with a similar acronym for IKEA.

[Edited for incorrect spellings, MUST TRY HARDER.]

Edited by Highlandman

When surfing the web for nothing in particular but definitely model railway themed ! - I came across Gilbert Barnatt's  ( Great Northern to RMwebsters ) ) old, and new, Peterborough and when it came to scenic development Gilbert was something of a dark horse where while he mentioned who built this and who built that, he never mentioned that he was some kind of scenic genius  as these following pics will confirm.

So Gilbert, your genius brought to the forefront,with of course, my coaler just slipped in for old times sake !

Cheers.

Allan.

post-18579-0-54214000-1400068225.jpgpost-18579-0-93681300-1400068258.jpgpost-18579-0-80544700-1400068290.jpg

• Like 9

The second picture above is almost blanked out if you're browsing with  IE as it's up to its old tricks again, screwing up the web, but when viewed on Firefox - as I am here - no probs at all and Gilberts work seen uncontaminated and in all its glory !

Cheers.

Allan.

And you know it won't fit together as per the instructions,

Like the time Allan set out to build a "set of kitchen units which used exactly the same amount of wood a decent sized layout would, and somewhere along the line something went wrong..."

"I'm having a bit of trouble fitting the sidings, er, sliding doors....."

- "Civic Splendour", RM August 1981 IIRC.

It's actually quite worrying that I can recall that part of Allan's article so well from memory, given that I haven't re-read it for some years!

Edited by RJS1977

Like the time Allan set out to build a "set of kitchen units which used exactly the same amount of wood a decent sized layout would, and somewhere along the line something went wrong..."

"I'm having a bit of trouble fitting the sidings, er, sliding doors....."

- "Civic Splendour", RM August 1981 IIRC.

It's actually quite worrying that I can recall that part of Allan's article so well from memory, given that I haven't re-read it for some years!

The first magazine I bought was a Model Railway Constructor around September 77. Allan's Cotswold cottages were an inspiration then and I was 13. I still have the magazine and it is just as inspiring. I'm 50 later this year he has been inspiring us for a long time.

Anyone remember an RM article about barn construction? Somewhere in it I seem to remember he made reference to modelling manure heaps. Does anyone else remember that? Not sure I've seen manure heaps referred to since!

Why do I remember that?

Edited by mullie

In those days, CJF encouraged such nonsence - then Brewer came along and didn't like the way I wrote and didn't like me because I wrote it !

However, he had little choice and had to run with everything I sent in because the Boss, Sydney Pritchard, insisted he should - then he died and so did I and the RM has never run an article from me since, yet they published my books !!!!!!

Cheers.

Allan

Dunno why I'm posting this but I have a thing about names and, whether he likes it or not, 'Mullie' is my favourite on RMWeb !!!

Next is me, last is Robinson...

Cheers.

Allan

No secret, simply a school/university nickname used on my brothers and myself and shorter than Mullender my actual surname. There are some great names on Rm Web. For instance what is a mud magnet?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

See "Peanuts"? (Or my trousers just after I've changed them...) 

Anyone remember an RM article about barn construction? Somewhere in it I seem to remember he made reference to modelling manure heaps. Does anyone else remember that? Not sure I've seen manure heaps referred to since!

Why do I remember that?

I can't help with pyscho-analysis, but I also model the 'unwholesome' aspects of rural life. I did make reference to modelling "an unsavoury mix of substances" underneath a cattle-creep in an article for RM several years ago, which got past the editor without being censored! For my scenery business I also produce 4mm compost heaps and a scatter called "Horse Manure"... 

In those days, CJF encouraged such nonsence - then Brewer came along and didn't like the way I wrote and didn't like me because I wrote it !

However, he had little choice and had to run with everything I sent in because the Boss, Sydney Pritchard, insisted he should - then he died and so did I and the RM has never run an article from me since, yet they published my books !!!!!!

Cheers.

Allan

Both JB and Steve Flint have published my ramblings. If I may be excused a personal comment, two other contributors have commented to me about JB's 'blue pencil' and having articles rejected, so I shouldn't take it personally. 

No secret, simply a school/university nickname used on my brothers and myself and shorter than Mullender my actual surname. There are some great names on Rm Web. For instance what is a mud magnet?

Hey, come on Mullie, can't you  come up with something more exotic  than that ? ! -  Like your great, great, great Grandfather was a pirate or somethin'...

Oh, and a mud magnet is any kid under 10.

Cheers mate.

Allan.

See "Peanuts"? (Or my trousers just after I've changed them...) 

I can't help with pyscho-analysis, but I also model the 'unwholesome' aspects of rural life. I did make reference to modelling "an unsavoury mix of substances" underneath a cattle-creep in an article for RM several years ago, which got past the editor without being censored! For my scenery business I also produce 4mm compost heaps and a scatter called "Horse Manure"... 

Both JB and Steve Flint have published my ramblings. If I may be excused a personal comment, two other contributors have commented to me about JB's 'blue pencil' and having articles rejected, so I shouldn't take it personally. 

CJF  put personel differences aside where his first and foremost concern  was  his readers and if you had something interesting to say he'd run with it, but not JB,  he just got personal and if he didn't like you for whatever reason, and no matter how much you had to offer the hobby, you were out !He once said to me in a hotel bar in York " Now I'm editor, the Railway Modeller ceases to become the 'The Allan Downes Monthly' " as if what did and what didn't get published was all down to me  - the 'In Search Of Realism' series was all CJF's idea, I just went along with it, and who wouldn't have ?, it was CJF that gave me my chance to get established in the hobby.

No, I'm affraid JB never did me any favours.

Cheers

Allan

Hey, come on Mullie, can't you  come up with something more exotic  than that ? ! -  Like your great, great, great Grandfather was a pirate or somethin'...

Oh, and a mud magnet is any kid under 10.

Cheers mate.

Allan.

There was a street in Lowestoft around the turn of the twentieth century where nearly every family was called Mullender and they may have worked in the fish trade. They were almost certainly relatives as there aren't that many of us. Don't know how true the story is.

My great great grandfather was a church warden who used to fall asleep if the sermon was boring. Until recently the brilliantine mark on the wall of the church meant they struggled to paint that bit of church where he rested his head.

Not an exiting family mainly thatcher's and farm workers from Essex and Suffolk until my generation.

Alas no pirates, might be a village idiot somewhere!

• Like 1

Fantastic slide show on YouTube Allan. For someone who says they are not very computer savvy you've done a great job. It shows of your modelling skills to perfection.

Looking at your last few posts it's a shame that we as modellers missed out on so many tips and how to's just because of one mans reticence to publish your work.

Looking at your last few posts it's a shame that we as modellers missed out on so many tips and how to's just because of one mans reticence to publish your work.

When I started to use Wills course  stone sheets by the truckload and wrote many an article for MR describing my techniques, the boss man at Peco wanted to know why that if I was using their products to such an extent  ( Peco own Wills ) then how come I was writing articles for MR about it and not  RM ?

A clear cut case of the right hand - the boss -  not knowing what the left hand - JB - was doing ?

Also I built a Cornish Tin Mine layout, told the boss at Peco I had who wanted an article. So, I sent it in directly to him who then passed it over to JB for publication and that was the last anyone ever saw of it.

As I said, Brewer never did me any favours, and even less for the magazine he was supposed to edit I shouldn't wonder.

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes