"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Just picked this up today and sad news indeed, a huge loss to modelling. Allan inspired several generations, myself included, through his writing in the mags over the years, articles written with that wry humour which made them entertaining even to those with no interest in the subject matter. The RM articles about a series of buildings he'd been commissioned to build based on London prototypes were particularly memorable but my own favourite was his re-creation of Constable's "Haywain" in about 1977 which really did bring art to model railways.

RIP old fellow.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not at all Simon, I can only thank you.  You have done for me what I was finding difficult to do.  I'll just add that Allan's passing was peaceful and throughout his illness he was never in any pain.  I think none of us could ask for more than that.

Sylvia and I are literally overwhelmed by your kind words and anecdotes.  Thank you every one.  I have learned things about my Dad on RMWeb that I never knew so please, keep the stories coming!

I was born in 1966 and the first memory I have of Dad's model making was in about 1971 when he built 'Pipers Mead' in the pig sty beside our caravan on a farm near Holmer Green, Bucks.  I made a Lego signal box that Dad placed on Pipers Mead, I was chuffed!  That same summer I remember standing in our caravan door 30 feet from the pig sty with my suction bow and arrow, bored and wanting to kill something.  Suddenly to Dad's misfortune he came out of the pig sty and turned his back to me as he closed the sheet metal door.  Sensing the moment I swiftly I raised my aim and in one movement let fly.  My aim was true.  The arrow skimmed Dad's ear and with a gratifying 'thud' stuck in the door, I was chuffed.  Dad wasn't.  He snapped my arrow and hopped around cursing words I'd never heard before.  I stood and watched him wondering if he'd take my Lego signal box off of his railway or not and bless him he didn't.

Many of you have kindly shared how he inspired you during the 70s and early years of your involvement in our hobby through exhibitions and his Railway Modeller and Model Rail articles.  I understand you fully because he inspired me too, right to the end.  I loved his O Gauge/7mm period where he manipulated all the commercial products available but it was Dad's early OO Gauge/4mm models where the magic truly lied for me.  I saw him make everything from scratch.  From somewhere he acquired this small metal frame.  He pushed Pyruma cement between the tiny oblong holes in the frame then baked it.  Moments later out came the frame and out popped the tiny stone bricks which went to make an incredible windmill, probably not the Dalek one!  I think it was the late 70s when he made his first resin stonework mold.  The master was pressed into Plasticine and believe it or not he used the pointed end of a drawing compass, millions of tiny little holes, to achieve the tiny random stones.  Dad then discovered, don't ask me how he made this discovery, that the sole of some shoes made good stone patterns.  At school: "Downsie, we saw your Dad looking underneath shoes again".  I could have answered, "Yes that's right.  As a model maker he, and his kind, are always looking for short cuts and ingenious ways to manipulate or distress raw materials to create realism by using every day household items such as a wire brush, Mum's toothbrush and indeed the sole of a shoe".  But it was far easier to just say, "Yep".

Many of you have got behind the suggestion of dedicating a thread to Allan and possibly a magazine article highlighting his work.  You cannot begin to imagine how touched Sylvia and I am by this idea and would support it fully in whatever way we could and Dad would love the idea too hoping that it might inspire the next generation of model railway enthusiasts.  So, we're open to any suggestions!  What a send off!

Happy modelling guys,

Shane and Sylvia

Lovely words Shane, Allan had a tremendous talent, not the model building, but the ability to help and encourage people. People new to the hobby such as myself, or established modellers, it made no difference to your Dad and he would make you feel like something was a million dollars, even if it was a right dog's breakfast. I'm sure I speak for many others when I say his legacy will live on and on for many years, and we can all celebrate his life through this thread.

Mike

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very sad.

I have only really followed Allan's work on the web but am often surprised to see that buildings from layouts I have admired on different websites and threads and also at shows have often turned out to be built by Allan.

He leaves behind a legacy of beautiful work, a wealth of knowledge passed on to help others and many modellers inspired by his work to have ago themselves. In that he will live on still at the heart of this hobby.

I'm sure all our thoughts are with his family.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

What a smashing contribution from Shane. Chip. Old block. Perfect. Not everyone raises such a son.

I agree but how close Alan came to his maker courtesy of a bow and arrow. Thank God Shane missed.

Condolences again Shane and Sylvia

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

What's been really nice about this thread are the glimpses into Allan's interesting and eventful life. The stories around the creation of some of the models has been fascinating.

"A life well lived" is a frequently used cliche but it's one which appears tailor-made for Allan.

I'll raise a glass of Colron to his memory.

Mark

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having just caught up with the news, and read Shane Downes's post, I would want to add my condolences to Allan Downes's family and friends.

Allan Downes figured very largely in the Railway Modellers of my youth and I vividly remember seeing as a child his Cotswold village layout at Pecorama, which absolutely delighted me. He was a major figure for the young me.

One of the highlights of discovering RMWeb was discovering that this Living Legend was alive and well and posting, and humorously and approachably. I really appreciated the fact that he troubled to rate and to comment on our efforts; he encouraged and praised as well as inspired. He seemed to enjoy taking and making a joke.

From the humble to the huge, his models always had that 'wow' factor. What an influence I suspect he had in terms of encouraging people to scratch-build and to think about buildings, and try new and inventive techniques. I liked the fact that he was not above convenience and expediency; yes, you'd need skill and patience to make such fine models, but you needn't feel you had to be wearing a hair shirt in order to attempt to emulate his work.

He will be sadly missed by many of us. And how many modellers can say they've built a cathedral in 4mm scale?

• Friendly/supportive 1

As usual, I have only come to hear the dreadful news long after everyone else. I never knew Allan personally, but I am old enough to have followed his superb contributions to the model press from the start.

I cannot add anything to what has been said, except to say thank you.

Rest in peace.

Derek

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I, too, was devastated to hear of Allan's passing. He was instrumental in inspiring me to have a go at scratchbuilt structures (few and not very good, unlike his).

My thoughts and condolences to his family and many friends.

Perhaps Andy Y could create a gallery of some of his best structures and his building methods for aspiring modellers?

Maybe Colron (Ronseal) would like to commemorate one of their greatest exponents and customers by sponsoring an award for buildings using their product?

I would certinly like to see his memory live on in something tangible.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've taken a while to add my own thoughts on Allan's passing. Like many others I only ever met Allan through his articles in the various model railway publications from the seventies and onwards. An article by Allan was always a good reason to buy a magazine.

I was particularly drawn to his style of writing, never serious, always humourous, immensely informative and inspirational. It was a joy when, on joining RMWEB, I found this thread, so could continue to enjoy his work.

String for church windows, budgie grit, wool for thatch, and computer card punchings as bricks, all come to mind. And of course, Colron dyes and Pyruma fire cement.

Allan, so obviously, loved what he did and loved to share with everyone. His passion, notably at the end when he must have made a supreme effort to present his work here, was clear to see.

My feeling is, calls for a gallery, magazine or book not withstanding, that in the first instant, this thread should be pinned, so that it is always available as a legacy to a lifetime's work. Hopefully, many of us will continue to post here.

As with all, my thoughts and condolences go out to Sylvia and Shane and family. For those that aren't aware , Shane really is a chip off the old block, a talented and skilled craftsman in his own right although in a different genre.

Regards

Edited by Bill_J
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Allan posted a short video of his work on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MesOLbbDT5E

This is a rather lovely showcase of his work. I never realised quite how prolific he was - I remember his articles in the Railway Modeller back in the 1970s but I have rarely seen a copy of Model Rail.

- Richard.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am going to miss Allan’s musing especially those on this thread. Like many, I didn’t know Allan personally and never had a chance to meet the great man. However, he was kind enough to exchange private messages with me and encouraged me to ‘have a go’ despite my complete lack of talent, skill or knowledge.

Fare well, fella. It was a privilege to know you.

Barry Denyer

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Farewell, Old Master. 

The only reason I did Architect School was because they had a module on model making. The only reason I was mad about making buildings was Allan Downes' work. Train tracks were secondary!

Floored beyond belief, and it's taken me a few days to absorb this. Funny how such a random individual can have an effect on one's life path. 

Sincere condolences to family and friends. 

"Ar dheis Dé do raibh a anam", an old Irish farewell -  "On the right Hand side of God may he sit"

Richard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I remember reading the Railway Modeller and having this image of Allan as being some earnest looking Roye England style character, in cardigan and specky glasses so it was a big surprise when one issue had one of his articles that contained a picture of him standing behind a baseboard covered in his creations.  I was amazed that the bloke who built all these models was young and hip with cool hair and looked a bit like my favourite  one in The Goodies - the one with the beard..

Here he appears at around the 4 minute mark with his trademark Colron wood dye and still-cool hair..  R I P allan.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I remember reading the Railway Modeller and having this image of Allan as being some earnest looking Roye England style character, in cardigan and specky glasses so it was a big surprise when one issue had one of his articles that contained a picture of him standing behind a baseboard covered in his creations. I was amazed that the bloke who built all these models was young and hip with cool hair and looked a bit like my favourite one in The Goodies - the one with the beard..

Here he appears at around the 4 minute mark with his trademark Colron wood dye and still-cool hair.. R I P allan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlY7lFnhyKg

I thought I’d seen all the episodes- must have missed this one. Excellent- thanks for posting the link
  • Like 1

Not having been for several years, i wonder if Pipers Mead is still on display at Pecorama? Probably his best known work and a fitting tribute to a great modeller and one of the hobby's great characters. RIP Allan.

I don't think it is. IIRC the fire cement crumbled after about 25 years or so, leading Peco to withdraw Pecoscene modelling compound, which was effectively the same thing!

• Friendly/supportive 1