3 WAY POINT

darren01

Hi

I need to make a 3 way point for the new layout i am working on, I have had a look at the C+L Templates but they do not do one.

The point is for 00 ,I did have a go at using templot,but just could not get it to do what i wanted .

Can anyone tell me where i can get one from?.

Darren01

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren,

3-way turnouts come in two different types:

1. three-throw turnouts where the switches (point blades) overlap. These are quite rare on the prototype and never used in running lines.

2. tandem turnouts where the switches are staggered. These are very common on the prototype:

post-1103-0-41569600-1366688099.png

C&L do 00 gauge templates for straight tandem turnouts, see:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=473_477&product_id=2583
http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=473_477&product_id=2584

However, if you create your own in Templot you can have them on a curve; or with different radii and angles; or a single-sided tandem where both turnouts are the same hand; or whatever fits your layout. And Templot is free. smile.gif

Martin.

Hi Darren,

My way using Templot is to place a left hand point on top of a right hand point.

Curve and position as needed, making sure you do not have silly short pieces of rail.

Turn off the sleepers on one point, and play with the sleepers on the other extending and positioning as required.

Gordon A

Bristol

Good advice from Gordon, but this might be of more assistance. Sorry if you know these Key functions 

Using key F7, Place one turnout on top on another

Darren

Good advive from Gordon, but I like to keep all the sleepers

Click Real on toolbar, then shove timbers, then press omit all (timbers)

Then Shift+ F9, this allows you to slide the turnout along the other one till you find the correct position.

Click Real on toolbar, then shove timbers, and press restore all (timbers), now click on the sleeper you want to move and using a mixture of forward/backward you can overlap one sleeper with another. You will have to move a couple of sleepers on the 1st turnout so that both sets are under the additional common crossing (see below)

I then duck out of the next Templot move, which is altering the stock rails that cross each other into a common crossing.  Find the crossing angle, then print out a template of it, cut out the common crossing and stick it on the main plan. (note to myself I must learn to do this within Templot, sorry Martin) 

Go on to Templot Club, you will fint tutorials on it. Hope this helps

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that you run before you can walk with Templot, it took me around 4 months of working through the tutorials before I finally mastered it. The tutorials are easier now that they are mostly in video format. There is plenty of help and advice on the forum if you sign up to it. I've been using it since version 0.74 which was quite a few years ago and it easier to use now, but I still have to refer to the tutorials to remind myself of some of the moves.

SS 

• 1 month later...

HI

Thanks for the help on the tandam 3 way ,Well i have has a go at building one,This is how it came out.

Have tested with a coach boggie and a wagon and both ran well over it,still need to weather it a bit more.

All the best

Darren01

post-6929-0-35168500-1371344680_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-65577700-1371344699_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-08344900-1371344708_thumb.jpg

Archived