Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tell me about 1940's / 50's Seaside resort towns

Black Sheep

I'll have a look at Yarmouth.

I'm not looking for a specific prototype, I'm most of the way through designing that. What im looking for is how the railway fitted into the town, what the town would have perhaps felt like and the little touches that makes it seem real. Donkeys on the beach being one example.

Hopefully with this info I can put together a layout that, like Frankland, cross st and others, is so believable people start remenising about how they went on holiday there as a child with their family.

That's the aim anyway!

• RMweb Premium

It seems almost every postcard or image I have ever seen of a seaside resort across the country in the 1950's and 1960's always had present at least one if not more Southdown touring coaches all magnificently presented back in the days when they operated tours across the country and beyond.

On the Sussex Coast it was not uncommon to see a row of the company's coaches lined up with intricately written chalk advertising boards leaning against the nearside front wheel advertising excursions for a shilling or three.  You just got on, paid the immaculately turned out crew your fare and off you would go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

trolley buses - In Bournemouth yellow trolley buses until the early 70s (I think) and the paraphanalia of trolley wires was a site to see (a major model engineering task). Don't forget holiday "tat" stores along the seda front (beach balls, buckets and spades...) and municipal gardens.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What im looking for is how the railway fitted into the town, what the town would have perhaps felt like

Whether terminus or through station the railway would often have had a significant, even grand, point of entry to the resort.  Stations were often far larger than the workaday traffic they managed ever required but on summer weekends (and to some extent weekdays for the day-tripper market) they could be thronged with queues to get out and more to get in.  Passengers luggage in advance was a service all the railway companies and BR regions offered and was widely used by families to avoid lugging suitcases with them on their travels.  The luggage would have gone on a week or so ahead by parcels or passenger train and could be collected from the parcels office or (in some places) from the van itself which might have been left at the buffer stops for days in a dock until the Saturday hordes arrived.  It would then be reloaded and sent away with the outgoing luggage on its return trip.

The station was often close to the sea though seldom right next to it.  The way to the beach was often obvious and was a wide street with all manner of shops aimed at catching the tourist trade.  Travel agencies and coach tour operators gave way to cheap bucket-and-spade emporia the closer one got to the beach where there was often the small of candy floss and the noise of amusement arcades.

For 10 months of the year the town went about its business quietly and in an everyday manner.  Then suddenly it was holiday time and up went bunting and in came the crowds.  At that time the summer holiday weekend was the first weekend in August (as it still is in Scotland) meaning that was the peak of the season which built quickly up to it and faded almost as quickly away.  You could easily get a room in Margate or Clacton in May or June, then again in September but not reliably in July or August unless it were booked first.

The station was a focal point for the town in the 50s and 60s.  Station Masters were still feared by junior staff and carried authority throughout the town.  Theirs was a position of honour and pride.  Parcels, news, mails and general merchandise came and went and goods yards were, if noticeably in decline, still busy places.  Some stations handled pigeon traffic and would accept incoming trainloads of racing birds which had to be released under strict instructions and the time and weather recorded.  Empty baskets were sent back later and one hoped the birds made it safely back as well.

A job on the railway was regarded as one for life and even the junior lads were somehow a cut above their peers who might have worked elsewhere or possibly not at all.  

There are glints of the past still found today in a very changed society and on a very different railway.  Most good summer days will see hordes descend on Brighton, cleaning out the shops on the way from the station to the beach rather than packing picnics and then taking a spot on the pebbles possibly shoulder to shoulder with strangers.  It still gets packed there on a hot day.  The wail of dodgems still sounds across the breaking waves and there are still candy floss and amusement arcades though only one pier survives.  As the light fades weary and sunburnt revellers wend their way slowly back up to the station and wait in hopeful crowds for the next train home.  It's not the same as 50 years ago (and I do remember Brighton 50 years ago!) but all of the excitement and revelry is not yet lost.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You  could alway send a line down the seafront with passenger trains Like Weymouth. or alternatively take a look at Kyle of Loch Alsh or Oban both next to the water, I know they Weren't  on beaches but that where you come in.

The Q

The earlier Photos on this thread look right and I don't remember until the early 60s

It seems almost every postcard or image I have ever seen of a seaside resort across the country in the 1950's and 1960's always had present at least one if not more Southdown touring coaches all magnificently presented back in the days when they operated tours across the country and beyond.

On the Sussex Coast it was not uncommon to see a row of the company's coaches lined up with intricately written chalk advertising boards leaning against the nearside front wheel advertising excursions for a shilling or three.  You just got on, paid the immaculately turned out crew your fare and off you would go.

At least, a couple of the chalked boards, would be advertising a 'Mystery Tour'. (These were 'happening' way before the Beatles went all 'Magical'). Comprising of a coach tour, using the back-roads and by-ways, usually within a thirty mile radius, to visit a locally known landmark..........and not forgetting to call in at one or two 'watering holes' en-route. 

London Transport would hire out their double deckers to private parties, and would often be seen on the streets of south and east coast seaside towns, 

post-7009-0-01554200-1366978871.jpg

Still on the transport theme and open-toppers, Hastings* and Bournemouth were the only two UK seaside towns to operate open top trolleys.

post-7009-0-14312600-1366978983.jpg post-7009-0-65254900-1366979116_thumb.jpg

*Hastings being the first, way back, in 1928 

.  One of which, 'Happy Harold', still running in 1958,  took part in the final closure procession / ceremonies, on 1/6/59. Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 5

trolley buses - In Bournemouth yellow trolley buses until the early 70s (I think) and the paraphanalia of trolley wires was a site to see (a major model engineering task). Don't forget holiday "tat" stores along the seda front (beach balls, buckets and spades...) and municipal gardens.

Not forgetting the Floral Clock, and the typical Bank Holiday weather.... (See Hastings, above, in 1928)

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

Hastings 1960's >>

Nice one.

I can remember the speed boat that ran from the end of the pier and also the miniature railway down by the Stade.  

I wonder if it is as late as the 60s? The views from the top of the cliff railway don't seem to show either the new road alignment in the old town or the miniature railway running around the boating lake.

Best wishes

Eric

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I read this topic the other day, and was interested in the idea of modelling a seaside resort.

Then, today, I came across this picture of the carriage sidings at Southport, showing (as has already been mentioned) the enormous amount of carriage stock that was used in holiday resorts in the late 40's early 50's.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/000001-er-morten-southport-oct-1953.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice one.

I can remember the speed boat that ran from the end of the pier and also the miniature railway down by the Stade.  

I wonder if it is as late as the 60s? The views from the top of the cliff railway don't seem to show either the new road alignment in the old town or the miniature railway running around the boating lake.

Best wishes

Eric

The presence of Triumph Heralds, Ford Anglias and Mini's means that it is post 1959. My grandparents lived in St. Leonards from 1952 to 1972 and until I left school I spent most of the summer holidays there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I read this topic the other day, and was interested in the idea of modelling a seaside resort.

Then, today, I came across this picture of the carriage sidings at Southport, showing (as has already been mentioned) the enormous amount of carriage stock that was used in holiday resorts in the late 40's early 50's.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/000001-er-morten-southport-oct-1953.jpg

That brings back a few memories! I think its the the station approaches and the storage siding sidings ( in the background)...in the foreground .you can see the Liverpool-Southport Electric Railway carriages....lots of interesting detail in the shot....is that an ex L&Y tank like the one we will eventually get from Bachmann?

My local holiday resort was/is Morecambe, which used to be nicknamed Bradford-by-the-sea on account of the heavy holiday traffic from  Yorkshire in the 40s and 50s. Car ownership was almost non existent on those days so there were trains filling the platforms and sidings in the two stations, Promenade (ex MR) and Euston Road (ex LNWR). Apart from all the usual sights already mentioned do not forget the ubiquitous deck chair. Stacks of them ready to hire at strategic points along the prom, and every spare bit of beach taken up with holiday makers, the donkeys winding a path through them. Dad usually with his trouser legs rolled up to his knees and Mother with a seemingly bottomless bag packed with sandwiches and pop. Most seaside resorts also had reminders from the late conflict in the shape of sea mines that were fitted out to collect pennies for the benefit of wounded servicemen. The ones I saw were painted red. Lots of advertising on posters and signs and painted on buildings. Don't forget the EWS (Emergency Water Supply) also painted on walls at strategic places throughout the town.

This is a very interesting thread, I've only just found it and as a "Brid Kid" I was hoping to be of some use. Unfortunately, (for most of you), I was born in the 70's but do recall at Brid, (and Scarborough for that matter), that the station was still always very busy during summer weekends. Certainly, when I was a kid, there was still a comparatively large number of loco hauled holiday trains and excursions which seemed to downgrade to DMU's during the 80's and then dwindled to nothing which I'm sure was a sign of the times in most if not all British seaside towns.

Anywho, having wiped the tear from my eye, onto the point of the post. Bridlington still does have many of it's old Victorian sea front buildings left. Of particular note is the Spa Royal Hall which has recently gone through a major restoration to its "Art Deco" style and although I am biased, is absolutely stunning! You might also try google street view for "Marlborough Terrace", (if memory serves me right), which was across the way from my old local, "The Hook and Parrot", and although now converted into flats and bedsits, (just a bit of political correctness there), still appears as a Victorian style row of affluent buildings. There is also a very large hotel on the North Bay which I'm sure is of "Art Deco" style although, for some reason, as I type, it's name escapes me.

Our new club layout at the Hessle MRG is to be called "Cayton Bay". No prizes for guessing it's location, type of trains to be run, station it is based on and who influencd it...... Unfortunately, limited space means it is unlikely we will be able to model some of the "civilian buildings", but we are currently thoroughly enjoying building the railway buildings. I have a, (very infrequently updated), thread running on the railway buildings if you'd care to pop in and take a look. Nothing stunning but good fun none the less.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi,

We had a family holiday in Bridlington, probably 1962, on Saturdays the loco shed and surrounding area was full, mostly B1s but I think at least one B16. I tried for some photos but only had a snapshot camera so the results were pretty poor and I think I disposed of them when I started taking (slightly) better ones. A silly thing to do looking back. Some of the locos came in for turning/servicing from Filey where the holiday camp had quite a big terminal station. I was fascinated by this, a model railway type terminus in the country with no overall roof or big buildings looked odd to me. I can't remember much more of the holiday, I had not wanted to go ( I was at the "why can't I go on holiday on my own?" teenage stage)and spent some of the time in the huff. There was the Winter Gardens, a huge conservatory type building where you could sit, listen to (boring) music and keep out of the rain. I had taken one of my early scratch built loco models with me and spent wet days here painting and lining it on a tray.

Something to remember about the earlier 40s/50s period is that whole families often went on holiday together and if my family photograph album is anything to go by dressed exactly as they did at home unless actually changed into swimsuits on the beach. Elderly gentlemen in jacket, tie and hat sitting on the beach. The OP asked about snapshots which is why I was looking at the old albums but I am afraid that with the small number of shots in a Brownie 125 none were wasted on backgrounds and it seems to consist of shots of family members standing about looking much the same as they did at home. From Kirkcaldy in Fife it seems we holidayed at Middleton Towers Holiday Camp Morecambe 1948 and 49. Whitley Bay 1950,51 and 52. I can remember nothing of Morecambe but have some memories of Whitley Bay probably from 52 though. We travelled by special train and my Grandmother complained that the coaches were dirty. My memory is of open coaches and brown. Although I also seem to remember green/cream but this may be wishful thinking. Certainly Crimson cream should have come in by then but I suspect that "spare" coaches kept for excursions would be last in line for repaints or even cleaning. My Clydebank cousins joined us on another special train which had come from Glasgow (On the first day of the Glasgow Fair there were special trains to most holiday resorts. Apart from the magic of The Spanish City (funfair)I don't have many memories that would be relevant. We avoided extended family holiday in 53 as my Dad was doing his Aux. Airforce bit at RAF Kinloss so my mother and I spent the summer in Morayshire. My parents and I had the first of many holidays in Canterbury in 1954. Starlight Special to London then service train to Canterbury. Mother liked static holidays Dad and I liked to get around so compromise. One week around Canterbury but other week Runabout Tickets- Margate-Ramsgate - Dover - Hastings but that is another story. One thing I noticed about the Southern Holiday resorts which I had not seen before (but which could feature on a model) was the sandwidge boards outside every little café "meat and two veg 2/6" this fits in with David's posting on average wages. (further back from the seafront it could be 2 shillings and IIRC this could include tea and bread)

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 3

Cleethorpes station might make an interesting seaside model - it is on the main promenade, with lines parallel to the prom, and an ornate clock tower over the entrance which has always looked rather out of place. Operationally, there was a turntable by the station throat, and if you had an eye-level model the line would disappear behind a line of ramshackle red brick seaside arcades. The station throat paintwork however was a complex mass of single slips, to give access from the platforms to the turntable and carriage roads.

• RMweb Premium

London Transport would hire out their double deckers to private parties, and would often be seen on the streets of south and east coast seaside towns, 

attachicon.gifScannedImage-22.jpg

Whilst you are correct about the hiring of the London Buses, I can't see the number / owner on the red and cream bus, and I used to travel on Hants and Dorset buses, in those colours, Down to Bournemouth and I remember going on the trollies. It would be more likely to be a Hants and Dorset bus!

The Q