Two Varney 1000 hp EMD switchers, all metal version, from 1940's

bertiedog

The bogies are unusual for US design, they have sprung power pickups making it self contained, usual practice was power return via the other bogie. I suspect these were designed to fit another makers products like a plastic kit to make motorisation easy. Lindsay often offered conversion bogies like this.

Stephen.

These old metal loco kits are so tempting, trouble is you've made them popular so the price will go up!

Seriously I would bid, but I don;t want to bid against people on here.

Free market... lol! I'll wait to post what I recently found, it appears post time might take as long as going from here to the UK. I want to make sure it is what is first... Shown here prior but silly cheap considering, it's all in the search 'keywords' and you'll be on your own!

Stephen, I want to see paint, I'm anxious to begin!

It will be a while for painting, there is assembly and extras, like the detailing of the cab end, and small adjustments to the fit of the body to the footplate. The same extras have to be finished for the Varney pair as well.

There is also a boxcab under way, a roundhouse body on a Bachmann Underground Ernie Bo-Bo chassis, again a lot of fine detailing to add

Also I am trying to find a MEW diecast and brass 44 ton switcher I have, lost a few years ago in storage boxes!...and there is a Suydam/Red Ball Japanese brass boxcab somewhere as well...

Stephen.

Some shots of the Lindsay parts, chassis being tested, lots of surface sanding to do and getting tight fits to the cast parts The bogies are excellent, brakes in line with wheels! The couplings are dummy, but work with Kadee, and have a minute Lindsay name in the lost wax casting, which appears to be cast in blackened lost wax silver like the bell frame.

post-6750-126771134213_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12677113555_thumb.jpg

post-6750-126771137814_thumb.jpg

post-6750-126771139483_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12677114277_thumb.jpg

post-6750-126771144814_thumb.jpg

There is a large die cast lead weight inside the brass shell, which means production from 1949+, as early examples had no weight supplied.

Stephen

First tests under power indicate very quiet and very powerful, it hauls about 4lbs weight on the test track, equivalent to about 30 to 40 boxcars. The bogie has both gearboxes floating, seems to work, but should have one end rigid, I will take the bogie apart and investigate later on. The seller on Ebay said he had serviced the bogie, maybe not assembled quite right.

If a second bogie is needed it requires 13:1 gear sets, and Ultrascale do them, with 2 start worms as well. Tempting to add the second bogie powered via a universal shaft from the power bogie.

Stephen.

Very nice Stephan! Yea, sorry not trying to be pushy, just interested in seeing how you progress.

I received my latest find the other day... They are complete and sealed as sent from Cary, even having newsprint from the Fox Valley area with NO AREA CODES! lol, how things have changed! As such I haven't opened them further, but I found a set of Alco's identical to the one I pictured earlier in this thread. I mentioned wanting to do a set of 3 switchers like the 1500, Alco and maybe a Varney. Instead it looks like I'll go for a trio of Alcos and save the 1500 for the time being considering it needs the most mods to add lighting, etc. Plus this will make it easier to decide on a road name rather than fit an odd lot roster of locomotives to a road name. In other words 'someone' ran 3 Alco S2/4 or maybe even 2s and 3s.

Found this to be interesting... Considering the opening bid is kind of high, it is complete with drive and I've seen them go for twice as much.

The 'Bay' Opportunity

Oddly enough - I forwarded that about 5 minutes ago to AlcoRS1 of this parish - It is a bit pricey by the time you add postage to UK though

it is very pricy for the loco here too, add the cost of shipping, at a swap meet or the local hobby short you can pick these up for much less, I am not sure how well that metal would clean up, it looks like it could be pitted in areas with corrosion.

it is very pricy for the loco here too, add the cost of shipping, at a swap meet or the local hobby short you can pick these up for much less, I am not sure how well that metal would clean up, it looks like it could be pitted in areas with corrosion.

All depends on the vintage, Hobbytown varied more than other makers as they changed the foundry so often. Most clean up quite well, at least two versions exist, flywheel or plain, with a variant with the clutch drive and flywheel.

Stephen

All depends on the vintage, Hobbytown varied more than other makers as they changed the foundry so often. Most clean up quite well, at least two versions exist, flywheel or plain, with a variant with the clutch drive and flywheel.

Stephen

it still is tempting, price a little high, I am still smitten with the brass, especially when I can add the NWSL DPT, I can make locos that would gain value, after all is added.

It was sold to a known HOARDER! Man I hate them guys... If anyone wanted to go up against that guy, they would have lost or needed real deep pockets. He's all over anything metal and particularly keen on Central Valley stuff. I've had my eye on this fella for 3-4 months now and seen his feedback score triple in that time. He has got to be spending in the 10's thousands by my best guess, in just the past couple months!

As much as I've followed him on eBay, I have no idea who he is or the better question, what he's doing with all that stuff... Especially when a good portion of it is bought for more than it is worth, then add on shipping. I can't seem to find a business model there and he's bought more than anyone could assemble (correctly at least) within the next 10 years. So all I can conclude is either he's planning on an extended stretch of seclusion or all this stuff will be found in the rafters once he dies.

The Hobbytown did not go for a high price for the UK, the problem here is the postage, if the seller sticks to the rules for Pay Pal they have to use registered trackable, not basic post. If basic post is used there can be no refund protection.

Cheaper stuff from the States is not really worth while from US Ebay, the Lindsay 1000HP switcher was, it is rare anyway, and worth it, but the Stubbby went cheap, but would have cost $42 to post here.

On the Lindsay Robico Stubby 040, I have traced enough details on the net to do one from scratch, the original was none too good on detail bar the lost wax additions by Lindsay!. The tiny drivers, about 10mm, may be an issue, but the smallest OO Gibsons may be all right. It really is small, the shank of the knuckle coupling is above the line of the footplate.

Stephen

A question:

On the EMD switcher I presume the outer tanks are for fuel, but is the box behind the tanks the sump of the diesel? Commercial models either leave it a blank square box, have nothing there, or fill it with blank chassis.

The Varney uses the Athearn chassis with a box structure, but Lindsay leave it open as the drive shaft would occupy the space.

post-6750-126867801472_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

The outer tanks are for air, the large box behind is fuel on most US diesels.

Thanks,

I had assumed that before, but the fuel gauge appears to be at the end of the tank, and the height of the engine crank in profile must mean the sump is as low as the bottom of the inner box structure, which if for fuel must be split in half for the sump. The gauge must be there just to make it convenient for the inner tank,or tanks behind the round air tanks.

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lindsay is all finished to running in, works fine, nice and smooth and very powerful, heading for painting next.

The first Varney is near complete, the second is getting a new chassis,from scratch, but copying the Lindsay layout, with a Canon coreless motor. Boxcab has a Ernie chassis, awaiting new sideframes from the States at the moment, and the Brass Betsy 280 is being worked on, so that's it for the motive power for the line, bar a railcar.

Stephen

One small note - the boxcab without all its bits on top, and all the holes filled in, but with a trolley pole and a panto, would make a very good interurban motor car to haul on a small interurban freight shortline - so a UE chassis, some lead strip and a boxcab shell.......

One small note - the boxcab without all its bits on top, and all the holes filled in, but with a trolley pole and a panto, would make a very good interurban motor car to haul on a small interurban freight shortline - so a UE chassis, some lead strip and a boxcab shell.......

LIKE THESE?:-

http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/boxcabl2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived