Soldering problems

I have been soldering now for 55 years with no problem TV repair 5" loco build scratch build no problem.But this problem has me beat.I had a 25w iron that I failed to remove the bit on a frequent basis,so when I did have to change it it took that much pressure that I broke the iron (so do not fail to do the basics) I went and bought a weller 40w iron and have not been able to do a job with it I even bought a tin of clean and tin compound.You get things clean and it works great ,put the iron down for 1 or 2 minutes and every bit of the tip is covered in slag and needs cleaning again.I now have a file at my side give the tip a rub on the file put in clean and tin then use after a couple of minutes it is covered in slag it is as though the iron is to hot and is cristalising the solder and baking the flux. anyone come across this I think this iron is advertised as a wood etching tool .any ideas any one 

Yup, you've got me there and i am participating in that thread as well!

There must be some external influence which is why I suggested the cleaning process. Just another straw to grasp at, you state this is a new iron so presumably had spare bits supplied with it; have you tried one of them?

Also what combination of flux and solder are you using that may give some clues. 

Wally

Hard to fathom why there's a problem. I have a Weller (pale blue handle) and it's tip has stayed intact and slag free for several years. I wipe it with a damp sponge before a work session but rarely after a session.

I use it for electrical work (60/40 solder and rosin flux), brass (145C solder and phosphoric acid flux) and white metal (70C solder).

I think tips have a coating so it may not be a good idea to use a file to remove slag.

I did buy a cheap iron from Radio Shack some while back and I think I got just one use out of the da**ed thing.

Perhaps a new tip?

John

Will anyone suggest a good, temperature controlled, iron that I can use for kit building and electrical work please? My son had a Maplins one but it didn't last very long and they didn't want to refund when it had clearly failed. I don't want one that has a screwdriver adjustment on the handle either. I would prefer a digital one but would settle for an analogue if you so recommend.

Thanks in advance,

Gruffalo

I believe the basic problem has been identified; the iron is becoming too hot. I recently purchased a 48 watt temperature controlled iron from Lidl adjustible between 100 - 500 degrees , it doesn't have an illuminated display but how sophisticated do you want to be?. They occassionally become available at £8.99 with a three year warranty.  

Gruffalo, look on ebay for soldering stations.

My Weller WSD81 was under £100 with about a dozen spare tips...which I have since mislaid...

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that the problem started with multicore when my last pound which I bought years ago ran out I bought some more I have bought a dimmer switch that makes things workable but still not right I have worked all day soldering with the Iron left on and never had these problems

Archived