Identify a Lilliput Loco

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

Liliput made this in several Austrian liveries in the late '60s, as it was a widely-used prototype in that country.  I found the plastic rods on those a bit fragile at the time.  The UK lines that have taken overseas stock have not all repainted everything in their own livery at once - e.g. the W&L. Your choice, frankly.

Its  a  U class 0-6-2T  from Austria, this type  was  used on many Austrian Narrow  gauge  lines  some  are still in existance  today,

There is a very similar  shape wise 0-8-0 on the  Welshpool & Llainfair Railway   which is  named   'Sir Drefaldwyn'   which many think is a  titled  person's  name but is  actually the Welsh  for  'County of Montgomeryshire'

The loco was originally used  by the  German  army in Austria,

There is no reason why  you shouldpaint  your loco in any colour  you wish  Dark Green or  maroon would look fine.

It does appear to have  some  damage & missing  parts in the  Connecting rod area  though.

This loco is still available  today under the  Bachmann-Liliput  label  with a much improved  chassis  with a flywheel, at  around  £100.00

which is a lot  more  than i paid  for my set of a Uclass loco  and  3  Zilertalbahn coaches  back in the  late  60s I think it  was  around £10.00!!

Its  a  U class 0-6-2T  from Austria, this type  was  used on many Austrian Narrow  gauge  lines  some  are still in existance  today,

There is a very similar  shape wise 0-8-0 on the  Welshpool & Llainfair Railway   which is  named   'Sir Drefaldwyn'   which many think is a  titled  person's  name but is  actually the Welsh  for  'County of Montgomeryshire'

The loco was originally used  by the  German  army in Austria,

There is no reason why  you shouldpaint  your loco in any colour  you wish  Dark Green or  maroon would look fine.

It does appear to have  some  damage & missing  parts in the  Connecting rod area  though.

This loco is still available  today under the  Bachmann-Liliput  label  with a much improved  chassis  with a flywheel, at  around  £100.00

which is a lot  more  than i paid  for my set of a Uclass loco  and  3  Zilertalbahn coaches  back in the  late  60s I think it  was  around £10.00!!

Bear in mind that in the late sixties that would have been half my weeks wages(provided I did all the overtime available!) so the price has not risen a lot in real terms, may even have dropped.

Phil T.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the info.. 

I dug my layout out.. Track is filthily, two points looks to have collapsed around the switch blades and a switch has gone on the control panel.. So nothing is running any time soon! I can't even find my box of buildings at the moment.  

Once I sort that.. I'll take the loco apart and give her some paint. Then need to find some numbers, or maybe a nice nameplate.. I'd like to repair the rods, but not quite sure how!

Bear in mind that in the late sixties that would have been half my weeks wages(provided I did all the overtime available!) so the price has not risen a lot in real terms, may even have dropped.

Phil T.

HALF A WEEKS  WAGES!!!!  You  were  doing  well!!  I think I had to save up for a month  and go without  any  dinner!!!

But  yes  we look at  todays  prices  and  think  they are expensive  but in reality  there  has been little realtive change,

I remember when I bought a Hornby Mallard Green livery back in about 1978, when it was released  ( to much acclaim and it was very good  for its time)  I had to think twice anbout buying at  at  £22.22 that was the price!

That will be interesting.. 

Joined, just waiting admin approval.. 

I can't find it now! Try this for starters, though I'm sure there's another:

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5296-liliput-u-0-6-2-availability-and-running-characteristics/?hl=%2Blilliput+%2B0-6-2&do=findComment&comment=89939

Also:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/531774/oo9-replacement-body-for-liliput-0-6-2t.html

Archived