RMweb

Tri-ang Big Big train MKII cut and shut and Easybuild Mk1's.

Hi Sean,

In the early to late eighties they where used on the west highland lines and those lines north off Inverness. In the last photo of my post both lefthand end bays were removed and the single seat (in the lower lefthand corner) was moved to the next bay making a total of 31 seats. As already stated the toilet was converted to a store room. They where numbered 9000 through to 9016. Numbers 9000/ 9001/ 9015 & 9016 came from an early batch so possibly didn't have metal window surrounds. It depends on which kit you bought.

Vin

• RMweb Premium

Sean,

There's a good article here; http://www.gwsr.com/enthusiasts/departments/carriage-and-wagon/2010/restoration-of-bso-(t)-9000.aspx about SC9000 (ex-9276) the first vehicle we converted on the Scottish Region at Perth Wagon Shops (with some pictures from it's more recent restoration inc the counter) - at least by the time it was withdrawn it had acquired external glazing frames.  I'm sure all the BSO's that we picked for the conversion had them but my memory from around 1979 isn't that great to say with absolute certainty!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got them now Bernard and what a smashing restoration it is!

The pictures will be very helpful when I do the interior, but for the moment, the main bodysides have been the focus of my attention. Today, I have fixed all the window frames in place. I fixed the top part of the frame in place first and then left the glue for a good few hours before glueing the lower part of the frame and sides in place.....

attachicon.gif20131212_203459-1.jpg

attachicon.gif20131212_203520.jpg

..... The eagle eyed will see there is quite a bit of glue on the sides, which is, (with my limited skill), rather inevitable unfortunately. I intend to attack the bodysides with a fibreglass pen to clean them up, but only once the glue is completely dry.

The eagle eyed may also see that the hinges and bump stops have also been added. Bodyside jobs left to complete are the end details and roof ribs + vents which will hopefully be dealt with on Monday, dependent on the sharpness of the Slaters delivery van.....

Back home for the weekend tomorrow, so, I think I might have earned a pint tonight.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Coming along well and the pint will help you recover!

Hi Sean,

I think they were talking late seventies. I believe all where in Scotland by about 84-85 region anyway. In the back of my mind I seem to recall that some scotrail mark1 stock had the vestibule refurbished with yellow GRP panels to replace the original wood.

Regards

Vin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Sean,

I think they were talking late seventies. I believe all where in Scotland by about 84-85 region anyway. In the back of my mind I seem to recall that some scotrail mark1 stock had the vestibule refurbished with yellow GRP panels to replace the original wood.

Regards

Vin

Nothing quite as luxurious as GRP Panels Vin, mostly bright yellow paint!

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

Ooops your right they should'nt have a middle arm rest. Now removed. I have spent a bit of time today looking a first class mk2's so probably got confused. or a simple lad like me it doesnt take much.

I'm looking forward to your next progress report.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just lost what I typed!!!!

Please note that the brake cylinders are available in two different setups. a good source of how it looks is the Cooper Craft Mark 1 chassis.

Very late BSO/BSOT have the vacuum cylinders the other side of the A frames.

I have been noting the positions on my web site but only a little way through.

They are all the same for a certain lot, but do not seem to be the same for a certain builder.. Two Wolverton lots of CKs for 1956/7 have different layouts.

The window frames make it look like a newer coach but the chassis an older coach, that said the outer cylinder system has been used since mid 50s as well.

I would describe your models as |O O| but they may need to be O| |O, you will need to check photographs of coaches of the same lot.

Mark 1s are a minefield when it comes to detail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be honest in OO not that noticable but in O it would be obvious.

I have been removing a few fully as some Mark 1 BGs and buffets were air only, then just stick in some sprue to do the air cylinder.

• Like 1

Just lost what I typed!!!!

Please note that the brake cylinders are available in two different setups. a good source of how it looks is the Cooper Craft Mark 1 chassis.

Very late BSO/BSOT have the vacuum cylinders the other side of the A frames.

I have been noting the positions on my web site but only a little way through.

They are all the same for a certain lot, but do not seem to be the same for a certain builder.. Two Wolverton lots of CKs for 1956/7 have different layouts.

The window frames make it look like a newer coach but the chassis an older coach, that said the outer cylinder system has been used since mid 50s as well.

I would describe your models as |O O| but they may need to be O| |O, you will need to check photographs of coaches of the same lot.

Mark 1s are a minefield when it comes to detail.

Hi 

The postion of the brake cylinder in relation to the brake vee hanger is related to what brake rigging the bogie has, ie top/over pull or under pull this is the rod that goes from the brake weighshaft to the bogie. Underpull is the easier rod to see as the overpull is tucked right up in the underframe.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Premium

Pages 16 and 20 in the Parkin Mk1 book, have close ups of the cylinders and V hangers.

Looking at it the inside ones have lower rods and the outer upper rods

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I enjoy following these types of threads and you are similar to me in wanting to make non available vehicles from bits, and also trying to improve my works quality.

Since most people are more experts than me I was glad to use some of my knowleage for other people.

My only go for O gauge was making up a kit for display when I worked for a few months in a model shop (TBH not much more money than benefits at the time)

I like following Colin's and Larry's threads as well.

My DMU conversions, the 116 will be getting Laserglaze and Brian said I can have his test ones to make sure I have enough extra windows,

Just patching the roofs, a little bit of grey then white lining time.

Tempted to try the lining pen again despite that I seem to be useless with it.

I was going to get a new decent airbrush but it looks like a new car is more urgent, and at nearly 13 it is unlikely they will repair mine and I don't like a lot of cars, so the last 5 have all been big Vauxhalls which are no longer made.

Driving along following a car, (mnechanical failure?) it swerves into oncoming traffic and the one it hits bounces into my car on the side. 3 cars involved and the oldest car drove home.

I have been told I can't have the very cheap Jaguar XK8 even though it looks nice, my daughter doesn't like estates (found a nice Omega 3.2), also found a nice Omega with broken cam belt.

No idea what to do tempted to try rope around B pillar and get a friend to pull it with his Land Rover kit car.

Sorry to ramble but I am a bit full of what to do at the moment even though the dining room table is full of DMUs, E1883 and a SPV.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin.

Whilst not, (hopefully), known for my rivet counting ways, you make an extremely valid point that this sort of detail is more obvious in the larger scales. It is probably the reason I have attempted to "go to town" on these coaches, taking into account my capabilities of course.....

Cheers.

Sean.

How about your DP2 saga?

Depends really, rivet counting vs looks right, I am in the middle place of right number of wheels, windows, and does it look right, things which do get noticed are obvious little things like.

Lima's lack of 117 DMS

Lima B4 bogies back to front

Airfix 2D BSO to 2F DBSO without fixing the air conditioning equipement.

All Mark1s having BR1 bogies and not what they should have, my Lima Mark 1s have a mix of 14mm wheels in BR1 and Lima B4s reversed

Then I made the mistake in noticing underframes on Mark 1s and started noting the differences.

Numbers of rivets not noticed. Broad brush details are.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

Good to see you back. Those Heljan brake blocks look better than the ones supplied in the kit. On the roof are you fitting the angled toilet overflow strips? If you need a photo I'll post one later.

I'll let you get back to painting your seats. If you want some mark2 inspiration go to Layout topics and the JLTRT mark2's I've built for Daz on Shaftsbury.

Cheers

Vin

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

Here are a couple of photos for your mark 1. 

post-11695-0-01800100-1390315199_thumb.jpg

On the left is a Heljan mark 1 with the overflow channels. On the right is a JLTRT SK with the channels and the overflow pipe (The brassy bit as the paint has chipped off it). The channel is L shaped and made from two pieces of microstrip glued together. The toilet is in a different position on your model but the water tank and overflow are in the same place.

post-11695-0-53158000-1390315179_thumb.jpg

An over view shot, showing the angle and position.

Hope this helps

Vin

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sean,

Both coaches are coming together nicely. The scotrail mark1 looks great. Did you get an interior with this kit? I think I only got a bag of seats for mine and had to scratch build the rest.

Cheers

Vin

• Like 1

Hi Sean,

Good to see the mk2 coming together. On the subject of mark1 periscopes I must have trawled through hundreds of images of coach roofs from the late 70's through to the nineties and have found them missing. They sometimes have them plated over (usually quite roughly) or the roof panel has been replaced smooth. I bet on the prototype they leaked like a sieve or corroded badly.

Cheers

Vin