Time to try again - N scale TMD/Wagonworks

DanielB

In OO I just use thinners gently on a cotton bud. Not sure what the paints like in N on the old school stuff so would take care. Maybe a gentle rub with a fibreglass pen would take it back enough to pop another over the top

Cav

Nothing huge update wise for the moment, just a couple of photos of the completed - albeit unpainted - wagon kits I built over the last couple of days.

20130514_185138_zpse6b2545a.jpg

20130514_185134_zpsa7cc1997.jpg

20130514_185130_zpsae8f0b9f.jpg

Hopefully the rivet counters wont be cringing at the god awful mess I made of the etched brass, but I have the confidence to get at the next ones looking at least a little better.

For now, I'm going to work on a few more of the PGA's I've got and see what happens. :)

Oh, I almost forgot, I have a list of my motive power for the layout, some old, some new, some frankly awful, but it's a fleet I have collected both before and after the break I took in railway modelling.

56092 Railfreight Coal

56--- BR Blue (needs renumbering as the numbers are different on both sides)

47583 BR Large Logo Blue

47306 "The Sapper" Railfreight Distribution

47306 "The Sapper" Railfreight Distribution (bought as a pair with it's twin for a bargain price, will be renumbered and re-liveried, probably in RF Construction)

20227 Railfreight Large Logo Grey

20142 BR Blue

20--- Partially repainted - will be stripped and re-done again in BR Blue.

31--- an old Lima model, will be repainted in BR Blue and left "on shed"

25--- Unknown kit build on Farish chassis - will be stripped and repainted

37906 Railfreight Metals

60054 "Charles Babbage" Railfreight Petroleum

58027 Mainline Grey - will be repainted and renumbered into 58003 Markham Colliery to fit the location of the layout.

08--- Partial repaint, old tooling. Will possibly become a donor chassis for an industrial shunter.

08--- Partial repaint, old tooling. Will possibly become a donor chassis for an industrial shunter.

I also have 67026 in EWS (unpowered) and 66703 "Doncaster" in GBRF for more modern traction, should the mood take me.

The wagons look good Dan. Im very tempted to go the ngs kit way now for my rake. Looks like you have a good fleet of locos too. Itll be a while before I get to that level of motive power. Still I dont think a 37, 45, 47 and hst set are bad considering the length of time since I started in N.

Cav

To be honest I haven't paid full price for any of them. They were all sourced from exhibitions and swap meets second hand, with the exception of the 67, 66, 60 and 58, but all of those were bought half price on special offers. I can't afford to pay the prices as new, but hunt out bargains instead.

A lot of the second hand ones have split gears but I'm going to get a big order of replacement spares ordered and repair them all. For what they cost me they are worth the hassle.

Just managed to secure another example of 37906 with split gears. The plan is to try and get one working chassis out of the pair, turn the other into a dummy chassis, and then renumber the dummy and run them as a pair on heavy freight. :)

Apologies for the lack of updates for a while, I went back to the track plan as the baseboard I intended to use was way too short and the settrack points too sharp for my liking.

As such I have gone back to the plan and modified it to something more interesting by lengthening the layout and adding in a sector plate fiddle yard and a couple of civil engineering sidings in front.

This now allows for the longest wheelbase wagon (a Cargowaggon) and an 08 to comfortably sit in the wagon works headshunt.

I shall get a sketch of the new plan up at some point today. Baseboard shall be constructed and track laid this weekend. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, other concerns prevented me from getting anything done as I had planned, and then at the beginning of the month my two and half year old puppy passed away unexpectedly, so my mind has been elsewhere.

I have decided that - with my mind not in the best of places, and never seeming to settle on any track plan for very long, I am going to go back to the very basics and make an Inglenook style layout - as it the simplest design I can think of and will fit on the small baseboard I have already built.

It's quick, simple, and will get me used to layout building so I can learn the very basics, and if it doesn't turn out as hoped then at least I wont have wasted a lot of expensive materials.

Considering how low I'm feeling at the moment I don't think I could take the frustration and disappointment of failing at my first attempt at layout building. This hobby is supposed to be relaxing and rewarding, no? :)

As such, I've laid a cork base on the baseboard and have weighted it down to allow the PVA glue to dry, and then I'll see about getting some track laid down onto it at some point this week - provided something else doesn't go wrong, that is!

For those following this thread so far, apologies for my lack of focus, and I thank you for your patience.

Quick update, I had a search through my "track box" and dug out a pair of code 80 setrack points, along with some off-cuts of flexible track I got given for free when I made a purchase at my "local" model shop. The trackplan was roughed out, all the track joined together and given a good clean, and was then tested by my trusty Farish Tug and Dapol Bone.

The Tug has issues navigating the pointwork, so out came the track rubber and the whole thing given another thorough clean. The Tug was tested again and navigated the whole layout without issue.

Next the Bone was tested as it runs very smoothly at very low speeds, and true to form it did again here. I shall definitely be adding more of these to my collection over time, they are truly outstanding compared to the 20 year old Poole built Farish stock I am used to!

As it stands, the track works perfectly with no issues, and so the outlines were traced and the track carefully moved elsewhere so PVA glue could be applied to the trackbed.

It has now all been re-laid and is weighted down with some sufficiently heavy examples from my book collection, and shall be left to dry overnight. I will check it again tomorrow, and if it seems okay, I will wire it back up, test it all, then commence with the ballasting.

Excitement abounds! ;)

Quick update. The glue appears dry, as such I've been painting the whole layout with brown paint from a tester pot, to give me a good base layer to begin the scenery. Now all I have to do is decide on what that scenery is going to be! :D

20130613_192837_zpsc5bec31a.jpg

I was thinking that tbh, have the rear siding as a wagon works on a walled in hard standing.

Or make the hard standing and wall permanent but the actual industry contained within interchangeable.

Contenders that spring to mind are a wagon works or scrap yard.

Not much to report from this weekend, I've been tied up with other things.

That said, I did have a chance to connect up the controller and have a bit of a session playing trains, particularly with my new Farish Class 04 - which is a lovely little loco, and just oozes quality. Not sure how you'd fit a DCC chip in it, mind you!

I did discover an electrical fault on one of the points I used - the blades don't seem to be sitting in such a way as to provide a good electrical circuit down one of the sidings. I shall investigate and see what I can do to fix it. Sods law that it was working perfectly before I fixed the track down! Hopefully I should be able to rectify the issue.

Tonight I'm going to have a bit of a play getting some of the scenics in place - the hard standing and maybe, hopefully the ballasting.

Didn't really get anything done last night as I got in late. However I did have a new delivery of a brand new china built class 37 chassis to put my spare 37 body on. As it now stands I have 3 class 37s in my loco fleet.

Very pleased as I love them! :)

How come you used the old ones when getting a new chassis? Did you get a good deal on them as I would have thought the chassis would be the most pricey part.

Cav

Initially I bought an old tooling Large Logo blue 37 with split gears, which had been hand painted by someone and wasn't the best paint job.

So I found a cheap railfreight body online and figured it would look much better - which it does.

Then I managed to get a second railfreight 37 in need of some TLC for peanuts, so I thought I'd cannibalise it for spares for the first chassis, then use it as an un-powered dummy to use in double headed stone trains on my planned larger layout.

Last week I made the mistake of browsing ebay and saw a brand new but unboxed new tooling class 37 chassis for pretty cheap and figured I'd get it, as I have a spare 37 body anyway.

The new chassis are slightly smaller than the old ones, so the body fits very loosely - but will just need some method of fixing it to the chassis (I'm thinking blu-tac!) and the job will be a good one! :D

Fair enough. I have seen a few old tooling ones on ebay but the seem very pricey to me. For not much more (sometimes less) you can get a new tooled one. I picked up a dcc fitted new one which I will be converting to 37688 as discussed on my thread. Just a quick change of the nose grilles and decals and bobs your uncle.

The chassis you have is smaller because the old tooled body is over length for a 37 so that farish could use the same chassis on their 47 and 37 models back in the day. The new ones are correct length now.

Cav

Indeed so. I was looking for cheap ones but they never came up. I now need another new one for my double header! Its about time Bachmann did dummy locos in both N and OO. A 37 and certainly a 20 are well overdue.

Cav

Archived