Time to try again - N scale TMD/Wagonworks

DanielB

I've been trying to start building a layout for a long while now, and nothing ever seems to get past the planning stage. We all have that dream layout that we want to build but money, time, and available space never seem quite as available as we would like.

As it stands, I'd love to model a "what might have been" adaption of Peak Forest inspired by RBE and his planned model of Millers Dale had it not closed, and the resulting cross-peak main line from the East Midlands and up to Manchester.

As it stands, whilst I do have all the track needed for that project, baseboards, wiring, etc - and more specifically my lack of skills in making them - are just not quite there yet.

So, to stop me from losing the drive to actually make a layout as always seems to happen, I am going to recycle some old boards from one of my earlier attempts and make something a little bit more realistic to my skills - or lack thereof.

Inspired by RBE, Mason, Andy P and the like - and all their incredibly detailed small layouts, I figured why not make myself something simple, something to not only learn the skills needed for a larger project, but also to display my growing collection of 80's/90's locomotives and rolling stock.

So, I started sketching whilst browsing RMWeb for yet more inspiration. A TMD seemed a natural - if somewhat controversial - choice. Wanting also to display my growing collection of freight wagons, and to give me a little shunting potential, a wagon works seemed a great excuse to run whatever stock I wanted.

I've pumped out a fair few small sketches of rough track plans, but this one is by far my favourite, and as such was given the Anyrail (and MS Paint!) treatment.

WagonworksandMPD_zps79165d36.png

Here's the key to my rather crude plan. It's not pretty but it does the job!

1. Low relief loco shed

2. Fueling point

3+4. Upper level warehouses.

5. Overbridge - not decided on the specifics yet, road, rail etc. Hell, I could even make a canal aquaduct - there are a few dotted around the peak district if memory serves.

6. Wagon works (begins inside a bridge arch and extends into a 'modern' style shed.

7. Exit to fiddle yard (I want to build the fiddle yard on a separate board so I can use it on multiple layouts.

It will be wired for DC control as I really cannot afford DCC at this stage. I think I understand the basics of how this needs to be wired but suggestions would be most appreciated. Once the ideal wiring solution is reached I can go out and buy the supplies I'll need to get it done.

I'm thinking that the primary power connection will be in the fiddle yard (for the aforementioned reason of using it on multiple layouts) and a secondary connection on the wagon works headshunt.

All points will be Peco code 80 set track examples as I got a load of them in a cheap deal, and want to save my finescale track for the larger layout. Each point will be isolated on the frog ends, and the sidings into the shed will be split to allow the stabling of multiple locos.

All of this will be controlled by a multitude of switches on the control panel, which will be housed inside the back of warehouse number 4. I'm thinking of using peco point motors here as I should really learn how they work for future projects, but I'm not sure if that would just overload my inexperienced brain.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I plan to work on weathering my stock and scratchbuilding the structures for the layout whilst the track and wiring is being planned, so I should have some photos on here in time to keep you all interested.

Thanks,

Dan

hi dan

im overwhelmed that i have been an inspiration to you.

i myself joined the forum in much the same vein and learnt lots from good friends like AndyP and RBE and had a lot of privalages along the way.

i look forward to seeing your project grow and progress, any help or tips or advice i am happy to help as im sure many others will also.

having also built a TMD layout i can say im pretty excited to see were yoiu go on it.

keep up the good work

neil

Thanks Mason, I think I'm going to need all the help I can get! I'm not sure when I'll be able to get the wiring and electrical side of things done but I'll be starting on the weathering of the stock today so will hopefully get some photos up over the weekend.

I have made a start on weathering some of my wagons, however only one is in a state to show - an ex-ARC PGA hopper. I need to pick up some spray on matt varnish tomorrow to seal it but - unless anyone can see anything I have missed or can be improved upon - it is otherwise done.

Please note that this is the first time I have ever weathered anything properly.

20130511_213508_zpsffe69bca.jpg

20130511_213710_zpsad4edd61.jpg

20130511_213749_zpsc26196e7.jpg

20130511_213836_zps0cee8288.jpg

20130511_213848_zps2aa09a53.jpg

20130511_213913_zpsb1d6a88e.jpg

20130511_213933_zps71551e1b.jpg

Looks good Dan. Glad to be of inspiration to you. The wagon weathering is looking good. I would suggest a coat of matt varnish though to tie it all together. Will look cracking then.

Cav

Nice plan there DanielB.

N gauge is fun and suprisingly good to operate in terms of shunting.

Ill watch with interest, nice work on the weathering. I heavily weathered some civil engineers wagons not long ago. But your ex-arc's are impressive.

Jack.

Hi Daniel

The wagons are looking good.

Hope you don't mind a couple of suggestions: Have you thought about adding a fuel siding next to the depot to increase the shunting possibilities, secondly, it would be unlikley that the wagon repair shed would connect onto the bridge as it would be difficult to build and make future repairs to either structure. I can't think of any examples where this was done. I would tend to leave a small gap.

Another PGA and a VDA - the VDA isn't anywhere near as chalky as my phone camera seems to make it appear with the flash on. Weird. Hopefully some matt varnish to seal it will help that out.

Still, I'm relatively happy with it - I find vans the most daunting of wagons to weather.

20130512_181000_zps30467131.jpg

20130512_181007_zpsbd537578.jpg

20130512_181029_zpsc4e18836.jpg

20130512_181035_zpsc46f9da3.jpg

20130512_181111_zps31bfb29b.jpg

20130512_181116_zpsab03382f.jpg

20130512_181122_zps33301e52.jpg

20130512_181127_zps272f7ffd.jpg

Finally, a shot of the whole rake so far:

20130512_181201_zps0b54f75a.jpg

Thanks for all the kind comments and suggestions everyone, they are encouraging. The more I look at the last two wagons the unhappier I get with them. I'll have a another go later I think.

Regarding the wagon works, I will modify the design when I build the actual building to take into account the gap required between it and the bridge. I'm not sure if another siding would make the plan look too cluttered? What do you guys think?

Having run out of wagons on my painting bench (the rest of my stock is boxed away for the moment) I decided to tackle a locomotive - a old tooling Class 20. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it looks okay to me. All I've done is paint the grills on the body side in black and then attack the model with weathering powders. I wanted it to look dirty but well maintained, so didn't attack it as heavily as I have my wagons so far.

Let me know what you think.

20130512_193044_zpsde265a43.jpg

20130512_193114_zpsbe98d118.jpg

20130512_193131_zps1e061f95.jpg

20130512_193138_zps2d2ee8b8.jpg

20130512_193251_zpsf8189d61.jpg

20130512_193307_zpsfc32576f.jpg

Looks like a nice shelf layout you have come up with.

Your weathered wagons are coming on really well.

If you are still unsure about your plan, have a look at the link below to osbourn models as

Their are a few plans that you may find handy..

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/peco-new-plan-024-modern-micro-layout---cobra-railhead-16592-p.asp

Morning all.

Not a lot to report in terms of progress; I have assembled two N Gauge Society wagon kits, a Seacow and an RMC JGA hopper. The JGA was a little fiddly but a joy to build. The Seacow was like torture - the etched brass sections were just evil.

Hopefully the rest of the Seacow kits I have to assemble will go together easier now I know roughly what I am doing.

I'll put pictures up tonight before I start on another kit.

That plan from Osbornes is neat.

Good luck with the wagon kits I struggled with 7mm kits so 2mm sounds very hard!!

With the civil engineers wagons I added a load of rusty rail small amount of ballest and some weeds. Made them look like they hadnt moved for a few years. Inspiration was from laira depot Plymouth.

Look forward to more updates.

Jack.

Up to you really Cav. They are really easy to put together, even the etched brass parts are pretty simple despite appearances. I shall certainly be adding more of them to my collection.

Jack, I plan to add removable wagon loads to most of my wagons in time, but want to get some different rakes together first. Need to get some paints sorted for the kits I've built. Not sure though as to whether I'll get railmatch ones or just go for approximations of the liveries from the games workshop and vallejo paints I have already.

Either way I will need some primer and some matt varnish spray so watch this space I guess.

Well for a modest rake Im looking at about 200 nicker plus a membership to the n gauge society so they will let me buy em. In fairness the cost isnt bad considering that they are an all in kit.

Cav

Fair enough.

Might have a go at building a Shark tonight to complete a short civil engineers rake. Then I'll maybe try weathering my new railfreight Class 60.

Out of interest Cav, how would you go about removing the painted on sector logo on a farish 47? I bought two of the same loco from a special offers bin at a model exhibition and so will need to re-number one. Figured I could change it over to RF Construction whilst I was at it. :)

Archived