GWR locos: Hornby Grange or Bachmann Hall - which is better?

I guess I will have to rob Heathrow Airport, like those bandits did 20 years ago.

I assume the post-war livery would be GWR for the Granges?

If you are wanting a GWR Grange you may not have to steal quite so much from Heathrow, as I believe Hornby's soon to be released models are in late BR livery, so you will need to source a second hand GWR liveried example, which will probably be cheaper.

It might be a better plan to buy a previous release of the Hornby Grange anyway, as I'm personally not 100% confident, based on recent Hornby releases, that the new release will be of as good a quality as previous releases,but hope to be proved wrong very shortly.

I suppose it all depends on where they are being made and if all the original tooling is available. 

• 3 weeks later...

So OnTheBranchline, did you go for one or the other, or still undecided?

Within the past six months I have acquired both models, both of which are surprisingly late additions to my WR fleet. Until recently I didn't even realise that the Hornby Grange was a 'super-detailed' model that is almost on a par with their latest Castle class effort but after reading this thread a month or two ago I took a visit to my local shop and found he had a couple of examples of Derwent Grange and one of Frankton Grange. I went for Derwent Grange. I had also purchased my first Hall class loco, Bachmann Ragley hall, back in the summer when the 'modified' Halls started to appear and rekindle my interest in the various Bachmann versions of this class, particularly as by that point it was clear that the new Hornby version wouldn't be available any time soon!

Now I have both, I have to say that both models surprised me with how good they both were, in terms of detail and running qualities - both on a par with current releases. However, as I have often found in the past, Hornby at their best are hard to beat and the Grange is no exception. I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure the purists can find faults with both models but to me the Hornby Grange just edges out the Bachmann Hall, and in ways that it is hard to put my finger on!

It will certainly be interesting to see if the latest Hornby Hall will be a match for the Bachmann version or past Hornby releases such as the Grange!

• RMweb Premium

So OnTheBranchline, did you go for one or the other, or still undecided?

Within the past six months I have acquired both models, both of which are surprisingly late additions to my WR fleet. Until recently I didn't even realise that the Hornby Grange was a 'super-detailed' model that is almost on a par with their latest Castle class effort but after reading this thread a month or two ago I took a visit to my local shop and found he had a couple of examples of Derwent Grange and one of Frankton Grange. I went for Derwent Grange. I had also purchased my first Hall class loco, Bachmann Ragley hall, back in the summer when the 'modified' Halls started to appear and rekindle my interest in the various Bachmann versions of this class, particularly as by that point it was clear that the new Hornby version wouldn't be available any time soon!

Now I have both, I have to say that both models surprised me with how good they both were, in terms of detail and running qualities - both on a par with current releases. However, as I have often found in the past, Hornby at their best are hard to beat and the Grange is no exception. I'm certainly no expert and I'm sure the purists can find faults with both models but to me the Hornby Grange just edges out the Bachmann Hall, and in ways that it is hard to put my finger on!

It will certainly be interesting to see if the latest Hornby Hall will be a match for the Bachmann version or past Hornby releases such as the Grange!

Just to let you know, I recently bought near-mint two of them for 55 quid including shipping (long story short: the seller is moving and wanted to get rid of his stock since at his new house, he's doing a larger gauge). I haven't taken delivery of them yet since they are a Christmas present so I hope Santa does not damage them in transportation.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I finally have had the chance to look at and run Hardwick Grange.

On first glance, the detail is outstanding. When I took the loco out of the box, I was surprised on how light the loco was to hold, if I had to guess the engine itself is only about 150-160g (roughly the same as a new Bachmann Collett Goods). In terms of haulage, I was a bit disappointed with what the Grange could pull. My layout is slightly uneven with a very lightly graded second radius curve at either end. Now, my other heavier locos have less trouble with the graded curve. With even just five Hawksworth coaches, the Grange needs a relatively high throttle for it to up and around the curve. Although it is way too late for Hornby to do anything about it, a little more weight in the Grange would have been a good idea.

Had I bought the Grange at full price, I would have been very disappointed. But I got it for 25 quid so it stings a little less.

Side comment: I think people overemphasize the need for detail compared to having a model that can pull stuff. If you have too much of the former and not enough of the latter, you have the OO equivalent of a trophy wife.

I finally have had the chance to look at and run Hardwick Grange.

On first glance, the detail is outstanding. When I took the loco out of the box, I was surprised on how light the loco was to hold, if I had to guess the engine itself is only about 150-160g (roughly the same as a new Bachmann Collett Goods). In terms of haulage, I was a bit disappointed with what the Grange could pull. My layout is slightly uneven with a very lightly graded second radius curve at either end. Now, my other heavier locos have less trouble with the graded curve. With even just five Hawksworth coaches, the Grange needs a relatively high throttle for it to up and around the curve. Although it is way too late for Hornby to do anything about it, a little more weight in the Grange would have been a good idea.

Had I bought the Grange at full price, I would have been very disappointed. But I got it for 25 quid so it stings a little less.

Side comment: I think people overemphasize the need for detail compared to having a model that can pull stuff. If you have too much of the former and not enough of the latter, you have the OO equivalent of a trophy wife.

I too got my Grange at a discounted price, and other than the fact it has a shirtbutton logo, not something else more fitting of a GWR loco, I don't have any real complaints :)

A for haulage power, anyone familiar with the layout that it runs on knows that there are more than just a few gradients, but so far mine has not had any trouble.  That being said, it is (usually) hauling a 5 coach rake of Bachmann Collett's and Hornby Hawksworths.  The Collett's being quite a bit lighter, probably assist in the easier job getting up the hills.

One thing that I have done with some of my stock is to replace the included wheels with higher quality ones and upgrade the bogies to have metal bearings.  Metal on metal rolls a whole lot better than metal on plastic.

• RMweb Gold

I do like the Hornby Grange but I do wish they would have a go with a release in G W R post war livery.See if they sell,if they don't I'll shut up.

I agree on it's lightness but it's adequate for what stock I possess.

• RMweb Gold

I do like the Hornby Grange but I do wish they would have a go with a release in G W R post war livery.See if they sell,if they don't I'll shut up.

Will be interested to see how mine performs once I get it converted,

Certainly comparing the body the grange slightly edges my Bachmann hall. But there's not a lot in it, I think it comes from the plastic footplate on the Hornby model edging it over the metal one on the Bachmann.

Will be applying microsol tomorrow and getting rid of that shirt button and replacing with g w r, much cheaper than buying a new Hornby loco with the right logo

"Great {crest} Western" and "G W R" are my personal favorites.  I like the fact that the new Railroad Hall's are coming in the 'Hawksworth' livery.  Here's hoping for the Grange in something other than the 'button!

Has anyone opened up one of the Granges to see if there is suitable space to add some weight?

Archived