What would be the best between a HAMMANT AND MORGAN DUETTE duel control power unit or HM 2000

• RMweb Gold

IIRC a Duette is simply two clippers in a case, basic controllers but very good, whereas the HM 2000 introduced clever stuffs.

The Duette is pretty easy to fix if things go wrong but the HM2000 is probably a brick if the electronics fail.

Unless you are on a tight budget, beware about buying second hand electrical goods.

Whilst they were good (in their day) the Duet is getting on now.

Mine was put up in the loft years ago.

Ok, it still works (well really) but it is 30 years old and I can't be sure of the internal condition.

I woulD be very reluctant to buy and use ANY electrical equipment second hand more than 5 years old.

There are numerous products out there at quite good prices available new or nearly new, buy with care!

The duette is a great controller. Mine was a Christmas present in 1975 and is still in use connected to my test track to try out new engines before DCC conversion. The H&M controllers of this era are pretty much indestructible. We have at least 3 of them still in use on our various club layouts too.

Personally I'd have little hesitation going for a second hand duette. Check that there is a relatively small fuse in the plug (5amp at most), the worst that can happen is the fuse blows.

An H & M Powermaster (or rather two of them) would be better than a Duette, as the former is a variable transformer, which gives much better control than a resistance unit.*

However they are rather old now and ideally should be pensioned off or at least tested by a competent electrician.

I would hope that electrical equipment would last more than five years however.

* All to do with source impedance - the lower the better - any resistance in series with a motor will affect its speed regulation.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the offer Martin ,but Im going to go with  a Gaugemaster which will run 2 tracks .Cheers 

Not for offer my sons use it on their train set

Archived