GWR Parcel Van Details early 1900's

Brassey

I wondered would anyone know whether GWR Parcel Vans W4 had the brake tell tale fitted on the ends in the Edwardian period.  I am building a couple and considered that, as no human was likely to travel in them once underway, then there was no need for the emergency brake system or was this compulsory on every passenger vehicle?

Cheers

Peter

That's an interesting question, Peter. When you say 'tell tale', I assume you really mean the whole mechanism for introducing air into the vacuum pipe, rather than just the actual tell-tale butterflies on the end of the cross-shaft?

When I built a similar four-wheeled W1, I made the same assumption that it wasn't needed because there were no passengers. A quick flick through photos on-line and in books has failed to provide any conclusive evidence, but the assumption seems reasonable. On the other hand, I did find a few photos showing PBVs of the V13, V15 or similar types that did appear to be equipped with the emergency brake mechanism (here's one). Why was it fitted to these? Surely this wasn't the guard's only access to the vacuum brake?

On W4, as far as I can see from Harris' lot list, there were only two (nos 505/6) built as lot 762 in 1895, though he doesn't cover all the parcel van lots. He describes these as 'Parcels Van', but Russell shows a drawing of No 506 which is labelled 'Parcels Sorting Van' which makes me wonder whether they were intended to carry staff and whether the staff would be provided with the emergency cord.

Hopefully someone here knows more about this and can provide some answers.

Nick

Thanks Nick, I think I've come to the same conclusion.  A quick look at similar LNWR vehicles suggests no apparatus but they did have an external handbrake; so I'll proceed without.

Cheers

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I can't help Peter but this guy might be able to as he's probably forgotten more than I know on the Edwardian GWR .

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75-the-farthing-layouts/

Thankyou Robin but I have to disagree - and not just out of false modesty! I just model the stuff, it is people like Nick and several others on here who we have to rely on for expertise on the Edwardian GWR.

Peter, do we get to see a photo of the W4 when it is finished? There's something about parcels vans! :-)

Hi Mikkel

Yes I'll be putting a thread up here of my builds - so far I've been putting the tumblehome on the ends; hence the question on the brake rigging.  So not much to see yet above the solebar.  I'm using the Brassmaster cleminson 6 wheel chassis too.  

My period is 1912 so I have a choice of 3 liveries!

Peter

Archived