BRÜCKENHEIM (page three onwards)

HSB

Hello Howard,

that sure is a very nice track plan!  :sungum:

But I am confused though, which is something that sometimes happens :dancing: : is that the latest version of the track plan as I am remembering a point-2-point arrangement? Or am I mixing things up?  :jester:

Will you build the r/h fiddle tracks with rtr stuff or will you also hand-build all track? (Sorry but it was a long time since your last update ...  :angel:

Best Regards,

Christian

Hi Christian,

I decided to change to a continuous run last August (see post #200)! 

I only have plans to build the three curved points in the station at present - the rest will be PECO. It would be nice to have more prototypical rail fixings but I doubt that many people will know the difference! :no:

The actual configuration of the fiddle yard will be decided later although I may have to build some points there because of the space constraints.

• Like 2

Hello Howard,

Post 200 is for me a long time and many events back so please forgive my blundering  :no: A continous run  is any case for watching trains going by whilst having some hops-and-malt tea ..  :sungum:

Why change the FY - that is a right smart configuration provided the length of the FY sidings suffice for you  :senile:

Looking forward to your next update  :locomotive:

Best Regards,

Christian

I hope I am incorporating enough shunting opportunities to keep operation reasonably interesting while the continuous run means Rod can bring some of his steadily growing collection of German 0 round for a run.

I've tweaked the plan a little bit more as I find I have enough length to put a point in the loop and still have room for a couple of wagons.

post-12623-0-77792100-1466877371_thumb.png

The new short spur at the front will serve a loading dock. 

• Like 2

Since my last post I've given the sky another coat of paint, stuck down a few more bits of underlay and I have now got the sleepers for the second point cut out and stuck down on the template.

post-12623-0-23798700-1467489304_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I now have all the underlay down on the scenic section (apart from a short bit by the door which has yet to be built).

As I have abandoned the short siding at the right-hand end of the station I am revising my plans for the scenery there and have modified the bit I have already built. The road climbing up from the level crossing is now steeper with a sharper curve.

I have now soldered the crossing in place on the second point. I have also continued modifying some of the scenery slightly in a couple of places.

post-12623-0-83669400-1468518450_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 4

I've made a bit more progress with the point although I've had to do a little fettling to get things to run through the frog reasonable smoothly. Things are slightly complicated by the fact that Lenz and MBW wheels have the flange width and back-to-back matching G0G standards while Brawa wheels are to NEM standards and I am trying to accommodate both. One day, when I finally get round to setting up my lathe, I'll probably have a go at modifying the BRAWA  wheels.

I have taken a couple of photos with the point sitting on the layout where it will finally go. One pic also shows some of the modifications I have been making to the landscape in the background.

post-12623-0-09483900-1468963707_thumb.jpg post-12623-0-00376300-1468963742_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I took the point round to Rod's this afternoon for testing electrically. I found one of the insulation breaks needed filing deeper on one of the sleepers which was soon sorted out after which we tried running Rod's Class 04 shunter through which showed up a slight problem at the frog but after a bit of fettling everything now seems to run through without any problems.

post-12623-0-23504100-1470077804_thumb.jpg

I won't be sticking wooden sleepers under all the copperclad ones as I did on the previous point but will simply use an extra layer of underlay under most of it. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update - I have printed out the template for the third point and have now cut all the timbers to length. Next step will be to cut the isolation gaps before I stick them down to the template.

post-12623-0-52301700-1470934860_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Howard,

Apologies if teaching granny...

When I last built some copperclad pointwork, I used my Proxxon drill with a large grinding disc to remove the copper for the insulating gaps, by holding the disc parallel to the sleeper thus removing a quite wide, shallow "trench" - this was quick, simple and effective, and didn't leave me with a "groove", that would subsequently need filling. Indeed, by being somewhat irregular in the application of the disc to the timber, it could even provide a hint of "grain".

HTH

Simon

I don't appear to have a grinding disc so will use my normal method of gapping the sleepers. I did, however, buy a new X-Acto saw blade at Wells today which has speeded up the process considerably.I hadn't realised quite how knackered my old one was!

Speaking of Wells, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of 0 Gauge stuff there was on sale there this year (no German 0 of course!) and we heard that there maybe some interesting announcements at Telford next month.

• Like 1

I don't appear to have a grinding disc so will use my normal method of gapping the sleepers. I did, however, buy a new X-Acto saw blade at Wells today which has speeded up the process considerably.I hadn't realised quite how knackered my old one was!

Speaking of Wells, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of 0 Gauge stuff there was on sale there this year (no German 0 of course!) and we heard that there maybe some interesting announcements at Telford next month.

Has Chris Basten been talking?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great deal of progress lately but I now have the sleepers gapped and stuck down to the template with double-sided tape. I've also added a some bracing to the trackbed near to where the duck-under will eventually go in anticipation of laying some track in the near future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Howard, you could try the Baron's sleeper gapping method. See Handbuilt Track and Templot #65. Brian

You omitted the title of the thread, Brian!  :scratchhead:

Anyway, my third point is progressing although I have had some problems with the coarser Brawa wheels. I decided today to have a go at reducing the flange width using my electric drill and a file. Although the wheels now have a back-to-back measurement of 29mm the test wagon still doesn't run through the frog as smoothly as Lenz and MBW models!

post-12623-0-34109300-1473290188_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You omitted the title of the thread, Brian!  :scratchhead:

Anyway, my third point is progressing although I have had some problems with the coarser Brawa wheels. I decided today to have a go at reducing the flange width using my electric drill and a file. Although the wheels now have a back-to-back measurement of 29mm the test wagon still doesn't run through the frog as smoothly as Lenz and MBW models!

attachicon.gifDSCF1367 (583x1024).jpg

Hello Howard, twas in handbuilt track, I expect you've found it by now. If you need any help reprofiling wheels let me know. B

Thanks, Brian. I've actually got Frank's old Unimat but I haven't got around to setting it up yet!

I was hoping to pick up a couple of PECO points at Telford but C & L only had one left-hand FB left when we got to their stand about 10:15 on Saturday! PECO weren't there and nobody else appeared to be selling their FB points but I did get some more rail and a few bits and pieces including an MBW van (Of course Rod also had to buy one!)

Interestingly I noticed that Marcway are now doing curved 4'/6' points in flat-bottomed which might be a possibility for the fiddle-yard.

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done any work on the layout since my last post but I did take delivery of a second Lenz goods brakevan last week. This one comes with plug-in working tail lamps although I haven't tried them out yet. I also got a couple more Weinert bufferstop castings although I realised afterwards that I now have one more than I actually need as one of the sidings will serve an end-loading dock!

post-12623-0-68310400-1474996036_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-89333500-1474996053_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Rod, I got it from Germany - I won't know exactly how much it's cost me till the end of next month!

The third point is now almost complete but I'm going to have to tweak the trackplan slightly to get it to fit!

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1