BRÜCKENHEIM (page three onwards)

HSB

Patience, patience Howard: Lenz will get around to it.

To wet your appetite from the prototype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGxb4wcJKpk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5U9BSGTYTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsTOGCDtvgk&feature=channel_video_title

Be advised to refrain from slobbering all over your keyboard :no:

Edit: but what do you with a V36 when you can wait for a German class 50 from Lenz - come on: you know that you want it ...

Best Regards,

Christian

Edited by cklammer
  • Like 1

With an axle load of just over 15.2t and a speed of 80 km/h forwards and backwards it was designed by the Nazis as a engine for the use in occupied eastern territories on light branch liunes lacking turning facilities. If you do a Google image search with "Baureihe 50 Nebenbahn" you can see for yourself.

DB used them in era III to get rid of the old Prussian designs and to unify on this class for branch lines, regular passenger trains and light to medium goods trains. It is really the quintessential branch line engine, really ... and very, very impressive!

Best Regards,

Christian

Yes - that is something to consider.

I am sure that there will be pictures of it on Lenz R1 posted by concerned parties ... :O

No need to buy the cat in the sack, then (as we say in Germany ..) :scared:

See how it looks like with your 64 (I believe it is, isn't it - too lazy to search) once you have track down.

It is smart of your design that you will be looking at your trains from the inside of the curve as it is harder to notice small radius curve overhangs by the rolling stock.

Edit: signature again, sigh

Best Regards,

Christian

Edited by cklammer

Actually it is Rod who has the 64 (although I would quite like one), I just have a V100 at the moment.

I know there are a lot of people who are quite happy to run Pacifics and 2-10-0s around train-set curves but I am not one of them and I think shorter locos and stock look far more acceptable.

Sorry about the mix-up about the 64's ownership ...

The V100 and the V160 replaced the classes 50, 23 and 38 at the end of steam of the DB. Both V-classes had the ability to generate steam for heating the coaches.

Best Regards,

Christian

I have had yet another play with the layout and position of the fiddle yard. I have cut out one track but made the shortest one longer. Basically, the rear two tracks are for locos and railbuses, the middle two are for complete trains with locos attached and the front two are for holding and rearranging stock.

post-12623-0-89346500-1435570127.jpeg

• Like 4

Good question! It is 18" to 20" wide (around half a metre) at it's narrowest point although there will probably be slightly more width below the baseboard at that point.

Edited by HSB

That is somewhat tight I should think.

Passing throuh such a tight gap when carrying any averaged sized box ends up as playing 3-D-Tetris. And that generally gets harder the older one gets, I assume.

And that is not mentioning accidentally bumping the layout when passing through in a hurry.

Just sayin' ... keeping Rule 1 firmly in mind.

Best Regards,

Christian

The only way I could make the aisle wider would be to tighten the curve even more which is something I definitely don't want to do. The alternative would be to go back to a duck-under which would be even more hazardous when carrying stuff.

Just a thought. What about putting the whole fiddle yard on castors so that it can be slid out of the way when access to the room is required. It would not be difficult to do this as the extra work involved would be minimal.

Rod

• Like 1

Thats a very good idea!

It might be possible to hinge it from the inside of the curve, so it swings away form the door, and it can be secured by even a simple case clamp.

Probably easier to use large castors particularly if the floor covering isn't hard like Lino or laminate.

You'd need to be a bit careful about levels.

Best

Simon

As there will be very little under the layout at that point any large or heavy object could be slid underneath with very little difficulty. All the stock for the layout will be kept in the same room normally anyway.

If I shorten the scenic section I can make the aisle an inch or so wider. Also the wall is a couple of inches further away than the previous drawings show so the aisle could actually be around 23" to 24" wide!

post-12623-0-46057800-1435872957.jpeg

IMHO that really is a change for the better.

Just imagine that persons who do not care for your layout in the least have to pass there several times a day :O and plan accordingly. :mail:

Also a more spacious passage means easier carrying of stuff (dare I say vacuum cleaner :angel: ).

Best Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a little bit of progress on the framework for the layout and have now attached the first three legs and stood it in it's intended position. Only one leg braced at the moment but it will need further bracing. I am also considering screwing it to the chimney breast which is solid brick (the rest of the walls are lath and plaster).

post-12623-0-34354700-1437591175_thumb.jpg

All the wood used so far has been from one of the double-bed frames I am recycling.

Edited by HSB
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am now back from the Rhine Valley with a couple of hundred photos and a few bits of video to go through and edit. I have been taking some pics of some of the older buildings in the area to get a feel for the architecture of that part of Germany. Here is a pic I took of the station at Niederheimbach whilst passing on a boat:-

post-12623-0-51154500-1438471718_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 3

Here are two pictures taken from the cable cars at Koblenz.

post-12623-0-86821800-1438539644_thumb.jpg

The second is an aerial view of some German trackwork. Of particular note are the twin sleepers under the rail joints on the point and the surprisingly wide sleeper spacing under the sidings.

post-12623-0-72214000-1438539969_thumb.jpg

And here is the view when you get to the top (the first one is a panoramic view so the curve of the river is somewhat exaggerated!):-

post-12623-0-23535000-1438541434_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-20673500-1438541030_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Oh,dear, it must be the weather or something but I've been having another rethink and I am now thinking I should perhaps make this a continuous run. The layout is only likely to be run when friends come round but it would be nice to just run something round occasionally and to run in and test locos which would be best done with a roundy-roundy.

Also, it would mean Rod could bring some of his stuff round to run and a through station would allow for a wider range of stock passing through. I can fit in the same number of sidings so will still be able to do a bit of shunting. The only drawback is having to go back to having a duck-under or lift-out section by the door! Anyway, I've been having a play on Templot and this is the basic plan I've come up with:-

post-12623-0-82022600-1439925645_thumb.png

The fiddleyard is on the right with the track disappearing into cuttings or tunnels at each end of the station. I have put in two platforms so two short passenger trains will be able pass there. 

• Like 1