BRÜCKENHEIM (page three onwards)

HSB

Oh,dear, it must be the weather or something but I've been having another rethink and I am now thinking I should perhaps make this a continuous run. The layout is only likely to be run when friends come round but it would be nice to just run something round occasionally and to run in and test locos which would be best done with a roundy-roundy.

Also, it would mean Rod could bring some of his stuff round to run and a through station would allow for a wider range of stock passing through. I can fit in the same number of sidings so will still be able to do a bit of shunting. The only drawback is having to go back to having a duck-under or lift-out section by the door! Anyway, I've been having a play on Templot and this is the basic plan I've come up with:-

attachicon.gifbruckenheim_with_continuous_run.png

The fiddleyard is on the right with the track disappearing into cuttings or tunnels at each end of the station. I have put in two platforms so two short passenger trains will be able pass there. 

Howard,

I would go for a roundy-roundy if it can be done. My double garage would give an area of 15' x 16' for a continuous circuit. I just need the persuade the memsahib that a lot of stuff that masquerades under the name of "memories" would serve the cause of world peace better if it was recycled off the premises.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 3

I have never built a layout with a complete roundy-round, however I did have the pleasure of running rights on the late Ken Stansfield's layout (I was "chief sparky") which did include a double track circuit, and the benefits to running of locos & stock were very evident.

And the pleasure of simply sitting there and watching them go by... So I guess I'd go with it if you can.

As regards the duck-under, this I don't like. I think a hinged section, either raising, or swinging aside, would be a good investment in effort, for the day when your back/hip/knee/neck doesn't like the bending down. If you want to go one stage further, then it might be worth having a look at Anthony Ashley's thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71151-north-welsh-coast-railway-welsh-dragon-rail/?p=1683253

HTH

Simon

Edited by Simond

Simon,

I would prefer not to have a duck-under but I want to scenic that section of the layout rather than just have a simple flat board across which would make it difficult to have it hinged. A counter-weighted lifting section might be possible but I'll have to give that some thought.

I've done a little bit more refining of the plan and have decided to stick with a simple duck-under. I'm going to raise the baseboard height another couple of inches which will make the headroom under the duck-under 52" with baseboard width at that point around one foot which shouldn't be too much of a problem for most people.

post-12623-0-77492700-1440273246_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

I did a little bit of work on the underframe this afternoon. Although it appears level I have realised the floor in that corner actually undulates a bit so I have been adjusting the legs accordingly and have also now attached the fourth leg. 

• 2 weeks later...

Despite comments elsewhere, the Lenz DB stuff is very tempting. I lived in Germany for four years during the mid-80s and early 90s during my army service. It was a time when there was still wagon-load freight running along the branch under mechanical signalling from Hannover to Fallingbostel, where I was stationed, and on to Soltau. We also had the interesting experience of transporting our AFVs on trains trains to ranges and training areas. As ops Officer I had the perfect excuse to accompany the MTO to the sidings in Fallingbostel to supervise loading and unloading, though he did notice my greater interest in the locos rather than the panzers. Later, I was in Bielefeld for two years and would slip down to the large and still operational hump marshalling yard.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

I've done a little bit more refining of the plan and have decided to stick with a simple duck-under. I'm going to raise the baseboard height another couple of inches which will make the headroom under the duck-under 52" with baseboard width at that point around one foot which shouldn't be too much of a problem for most people.

attachicon.gifBRUCKENHEIM with continuous run.cdd.jpeg

Good decision there Howard, I don't think you'll regret it :)

I've been to'ing and fro'ing about a single board for ages but have gone for a roundy-roundy (ho scale German ) -early stages- but happy with my decision so I can watch the trains run by etc

• Like 1

Rod was complaining earlier today that I haven't posted any progress reports on the baseboards lately so having fitted a fifth leg this afternoon I took this pic.

I have also been working on the next section of the frames which I hope to be able to start assembling and attaching soon although I have a load of stuff in the way at the moment which needs to be cleared from the room (as well as various jobs I should really be getting on with around the house!)

post-12623-0-27700800-1442257278_thumb.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

I would prefer not to have a duck-under but I want to scenic that section of the layout rather than just have a simple flat board across which would make it difficult to have it hinged. A counter-weighted lifting section might be possible but I'll have to give that some thought.

Hi Howard, I have been following 'Simon's shed' on you tube. He has built an impressive hinged section on quite an angle. Have a peek on You Tube. Might be worth a look.

D.

On GOG sales

Steven Adby LENZ COACHES

41220.01 - 4 AXLE CONVERT COACH 2 CLASS. BRAND NEW – OPENED FOR INSPECTION ONLY. 41230.01 – 4 AXLE CONVERT COACH 2 CLASS WITH BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT. BRAND NEW – OPENED FOR INSPECTION ONLY. £215 EACH OR £410 THE PAIR PLUS POSTAGE OR BUYER MAY COLLECT £215.00 each or £410.00 the pair 26-Sep-2015

Usual disclaimers

HTH

Simon

Thanks for that Simon but I shall be sticking to 4- and 6-wheel coaches for this layout.

Father D:-  I think a simple duck-under will be okay as the track level will be fairly high (I don't like waist-height layouts!).

John E:-  It will definitely be a roundy-roundy but I will probably leave the fiddle-yard side for a while until I've got the trackbed and some basic scenery in place on the station side.

• Like 2