RMweb

4472 Flying Scotsman - I don't understand why she is so famous?

I think it's famous for being famous, even though it is nothing special, is high maintenance, a lot of us are bored of it through over exposure, the general public like it while many can't see what the fuss Is about. 

It is the Jordan (Katie Price) of the railway world!! :mosking:

And did you really have to make such a big fuss about me disagreeing with your opinion? Seems childish to me in all honesty.

Lets keep things civil. There's enough bad stuff going on.

Edited by 108

As there isnt much left of "Flying Scotsman" I cant see what all the fuss is about, the cylinders and boiler are off an A4 for a start which was the start of the problems because the A4 boiler runs at a higher pressure and the cylinders are bigger diameter (21in instead of 19in I think) and these 2 combined were too much for the frames which twisted out of shape and have been bodged back into shape so many times (got to keep it in service to get the money in) that they are just about scrap.

An A3 is a glorious sight at speed but so is any large steamer though.

I don't think the cylinders are A4, but re-bored A3. I'll stand corrected if otherwise though. A lot of main line steam is run by preservation societies. Why not allow a society to be formed and allowed custodian, with funding coming from the group. Like the friends of the NRM does?

• 1 month later...

Lets keep things civil. There's enough bad stuff going on.

I was being perfectly civil here. If someone is going to make such a big fuss about me disagreeing with their precious opinion, why can't I label it as being/acting childish? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If it is just a hobby, then why do people feel the need to complain when I don't agree with their opinion?  :scratchhead:

I'm not really sure whose complaining here - we click agree or disagree or whatever buttons on all sorts of topics and it's usually a reasonable response to say why we disagree.  Equally we can do things, hopefully in a civilised manner and let matters rest without going into what could be seen by some as little more than a touch of petulance.

Hopefully we are all adults, hopefully we are debating the  subject of a famous railway engine which has suffered numerous vicissitudes in the past few years and we are hopefully doing that with common politeness and - where necessary - the occasional bit of fun which we deal with in an adult manner.  So let's talk about the engine instead of worrying who explained what from a dictionary because as far as some of us are concerned 'Scotsman' is as much an infamous engine as it is a famous one, and in some places it is, or was, notorious.  But in the end unless we're footing the bill for it it really is just a hobby.

If it is just a hobby, then why do people feel the need to complain when I don't agree with their opinion?  :scratchhead:

Don't be so sensitive! Colin_McLeod is one of that essential group, on forums such as these, with an impish sense of humour but without malice. Take the joke or respond in kind if you like and leave it at that.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think it's famous for being famous, even though it is nothing special, is high maintenance, a lot of us are bored of it through over exposure, the general public like it while many can't see what the fuss Is about. 

It is the Jordan (Katie Price) of the railway world!! :mosking:

To be slightly more current, Kim Karashdian.

They would 80 years ago too!

If this mid-1930s article about the LNER is any indication, to their contemporaries, the A3s were known as "Super-Pacifics".

In this article from the same source about the Flying Scotsman (train) 4472 of course gets a big mention, as  a "Pacific-type".

No confusion, that's actually correct...

The (Gresley) A1 Class, of which 4472 actually remained until post-war, was the original  "Pacific-Type"

The A3s, an improved design with higher boiler pressure were therefore referred to as the "Super-Pacifics"

Comments relating to the loco being named after the train service's actually a debatable point. AIUI, at the time 4472 came out 'flying scotsman' was only an unofficial nickname for the daily 10am KX / Edinburgh expresses, and the train title was only officially used from the first of the non-stop runs in 1928, hauled of course by 4472 - well, first by several minutes anyway - as the trains were 10am from KX and Edinburgh, there was of course another non-stop in the opposite direction at the same time - whether by chance or design, 4472's arrived first

To be slightly more current, Kim Karashdian.

And here we have the winner of this years most pointless thread resurrection! What makes this particularly stand out is that when this thread was last added to, it was so long ago that Jordan probably was more current at the time!