A workable PR strategy for Hornby...

Bezzy Oppo

• RMweb Premium

This thread IMHO has no place on here, the OP has posted pointless remarks that lacks any constructive comment. Long lead in times are not just a Hornby thing, in fact the 8 coupled tanks and others announced long after some of Bachmanns locos have reached the shops before that one.

Some locos Beyer Garratt and Class 41 are way behind their original expected dates, but are we criticising their manufactures...no?

Can we please have some constructive discussion, if someone wants to make a point at least get it in perspective not just a lets bash Hornby again thread.

This thread IMHO has no place on here, the OP has posted pointless remarks that lacks any constructive comment. Long lead in times are not just a Hornby thing, in fact the 8 coupled tanks and others announced long after some of Bachmanns locos have reached the shops before that one.

Some locos Beyer Garratt and Class 41 are way behind their original expected dates, but are we criticising their manufactures...no?

Can we please have some constructive discussion, if someone wants to make a point at least get it in perspective not just a lets bash Hornby again thread.

Well said! Kernow were originally saying late 2012 for the Bulleid Diesel. I'm betting on late 2014, poss even 2015 at present. NOT criticising them, it's clearly difficult to manage the supply chain!

Interesting, I've always thought of them as no 2. Back in the late 80s/early 90s they were certainly behind Lima for the stuff I was interested in. Move forward 20 years and they are behind Bachmann in the stuff I am interested in. (although I don't actually buy any British outline stuff any more anyway)

oOld Harry 666 disagreed with this. I'm interested in why?

This thread IMHO has no place on here, the OP has posted pointless remarks that lacks any constructive comment. Long lead in times are not just a Hornby thing, in fact the 8 coupled tanks and others announced long after some of Bachmanns locos have reached the shops before that one.Some locos Beyer Garratt and Class 41 are way behind their original expected dates, but are we criticising their manufactures...no?Can we please have some constructive discussion, if someone wants to make a point at least get it in perspective not just a lets bash Hornby again thread.

I agree to a point, but a discussion of negative aspects is just as valid as one about the positives. Was I the only one that was slightly concerned about the other heavy tank thread being closed down as soon as SAC Martin had the temerity to disagree with Andy York?

Maybe I am the only one and I will retreat back into my cave and keep quiet but we don't get many topics closed down because people are being over enthusiastic, do we? I would hate to think that there may be other reasons at play as why criticism of the major manufacturers seems to be so frowned upon.

Rob

Was I the only one that was slightly concerned about the other heavy tank thread being closed down as soon as SAC Martin had the temerity to disagree with Andy York?

It got closed down because the same people kept saying the same thing until it reached an uncomfortable point where some were demanding people should come and explain themselves. I had a lot to do that weekend and spending time babysitting was not on my to-do list.

Please think before you make such comments Rob.

I would hate to think that there may be other reasons at play as why criticism of the major manufacturers seems to be so frowned upon.

I really do not like the insinuation there. There was no other outside involvement; just me tiring of people trying to stir the pot and it looks like you've stuck your spoon in too.

It got closed down because the same people kept saying the same thing until it reached an uncomfortable point where some were demanding people should come and explain themselves. I had a lot to do that weekend and spending time babysitting was not on my to-do list.

Please think before you make such comments Rob.

I can assure you I did think about it. Having a different point of view does not indicate a lack of thought and I hope we are grown-up enough to appreciate that, myself included.

I really do not like the insinuation there. There was no other outside involvement; just me tiring of people trying to stir the pot and it looks like you've stuck your spoon in too.

Phrases like 'stir the pot' and 'stuck your spoon in' are insinuations about my motives that I don't particularly enjoy either, but I'm sure I'll cope without it ruining my evening.

I've really got nothing else to say on the matter and I have no wish for an argument, so back to the little trains...........

Rob

This thread IMHO has no place on here, the OP has posted pointless remarks that lacks any constructive comment.

My post was intended as a satire on a ludicrous situation, both for consumers and retailers. It is not about bashing any manufacturer in particular - it just so happens in the here and now it all revolved around Hornby. Constructive comment? Don't promise something unless you are as sure as possible (all things considered/risks assessed) you can deliver. Otherwise it just damages the brand, hacks off your customers and demotivates retailers.

Anyway I'm off to weather some BRUTES; now please don't read anything into that chaps!

Apologies for the angst my post appears to have caused.

I, too, was saddened by Andy's decision to lock the thread because it meant we were no longer had somewhere to discuss the main subject of the topic (the models, in case anyone has forgotten). Mind you, I fully understand why he did it because for several weeks it had been impossible to hold a reasonable discussion of the models, their good and bad points, and what we could do to improve them. Why? because for every couple of on-topic posts there was a whole page of endless, tedious and mostly speculative posts on Hornby's assumed failings, their future and so on. Much of this from folk without the slightest interest in GWR heavy tanks and whilst there were several other topics available that were more appropriate for their posts. Yes, there has been much to criticise, but endless repetition is immensly tedious.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I am all for constructive criticism that weighs the good and bad and proposes a way forward. However with the benefit of time to think about the 43xx thread, it was getting to a stage where there was a lot of repetition. Unfortunately when a thread gets to 1200+ posts some people do not read all of them and repeat things, this tends to get worse as the thread gets longer. I know one person who read the whole thread and has taken on board the issues raised and that is Simon Kohler. 

Yes locking the thread was perhaps a last resort, and perhaps Andy or the Moderators could have used some guidance to bring together the main issues/concerns, and that may work on future long threads.

I am sure Bezzy Oppo  did have his tongue ever so slightly in his cheek, but I guess with all the discussion that went on on the 43xx thread feelings are running a bit high.

• RMweb Premium

Well we find out on Friday , when they publish Annual Report, just how succesful Hornby have been last year.

I thought the 42XX thread was useful and informative although it did get mixed up with more general view on Hornby. I was certainly guilty of posting in general on Hornby and while I wouldnt expect SK to comment on that or Roger Canham I hope they will have picked up the points raised and the fact that there were so many in agreement.  I do still think Hornby like to play the game of consulting  with little actually changing, but lets see what the next year and the new management bring.

• RMweb Gold

Well we find out on Friday , when they publish Annual Report, just how succesful Hornby have been last year.

I thought the 42XX thread was useful and informative although it did get mixed up with more general view on Hornby. I was certainly guilty of posting in general on Hornby and while I wouldnt expect SK to comment on that or Roger Canham I hope they will have picked up the points raised and the fact that there were so many in agreement.  I do still think Hornby like to play the game of consulting  with little actually changing, but lets see what the next year and the new management bring.

I have more than a suspicion that it is going to be a very interesting - to us - statement from Hornby this week.  I think 'the past' will be exactly that and the future might well give us some fresh indications of the direction the company, or at least its model railway interests, might take in the future - subject to getting its supply chain right.

Archived