Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Yes the later one has the extra bits , but the original is actually better - typical

Edit = apologies realised I took birdeseye photos after and forgot when uploaded

med_gallery_17883_2781_517634.jpg0335

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

The singal box, also viewable form the picture from Silky_Jacks thread.

To my mind the right hand original signal box has better windows, better brick work, the stairs are straight, it does not say Goathland,

med_gallery_17883_2781_53878.jpg0320

med_gallery_17883_2781_1480977.jpg0321

med_gallery_17883_2781_608323.jpg0322

med_gallery_17883_2781_979409.jpg0323

• Like 1

No reference photo sorry, but the new Hornby versus the Bachmann (I have omitted the old Hornby as a non contender)

I'm leaning towards the Bachmann, but would appreciate opinions

med_gallery_17883_2781_677013.jpg0324

med_gallery_17883_2781_1072762.jpg0327

med_gallery_17883_2781_342361.jpg0328

med_gallery_17883_2781_1822090.jpg0329

med_gallery_17883_2781_1202355.jpg0330

• Like 1

Yes but to be fair the Left hand one has the platform sat in front of it, it deals with the slope (a later picture will clarify). The Bachmann one has a better shape. Red rims on the windows, but not on all the model ;( and the fire buckets.

But wait until you see later size issues! Your point will prove very valid.

Edit = oops realised left a pertinent picture out

med_gallery_17883_2781_1590766.jpg

Edited by Jaz

It's almost as though the new additions are to a different scale; whether that is just because of "selective compression" to make them smaller so they sit better in a typically small space a model railway takes up?

You probably need to take that into consideration - getting a 100% accurate model at the cost of it overwhelming your space may be counter productive.

IMHO, of course!

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

Jukebox, The britfarmer and Silky_Jack you have all worked out where I am going..........

The size it takes up is a consideration, the weird thing is later buildings I will show go up and down in size apparently without reason!!!!!!

You would think that they would take all the measurements then 1:76 them, but that does not appear to be the case.

Hornby has two buildings where one was bigger in the first design then smaller than the second design,  but another building where one was smaller in the first design then bigger in the 2nd..

......aaah you think they corrected an error in the later models. WRONG I have google mapped and the ratio size was correct the first time for at least one of the buildings...........go figure.

It looks as though there is NO cohesion, the Hornby second generation  models are NOT a united set. 

and whilst we understand these are made for  mass market, and if you wanted absolute is to scratch build it yourself, and would still think at these prices with one production run to the next they would be very similar in size and that features or inaccuracies would improve and not get worse!!!!

Still it is what it is, so we are just going to choose the ones we believe are the best ones for us to use as being most sympathetic to our layout and then decide what to do with the others possibly flea bay. and longterm not discount the fact if my skills improve to a level worthwhile replacing those building that annoy us the most!!!!

The main point for posting these comparison pictures is that maybe just one person is wondering what to buy, and can see the differences between the types without having to buy them all.

I will still add the other pictures for this reason. So more to follow.

Ho Both,

It seems, that taking temperature to one side, for a moment  ………    most of the accurate sized/better looking ones would generally be the larger ones   …….   ???  ish 

How about considering the possibility of using the larger ones in the replication of the Goathland  ………  modified where seen to be required [later maybe]  ………   :dontknow:

…….   and use the smaller ones in a different location in the background, to emphasise the distance/depth of the layout  ………    :declare:

Not entirely without reason, as many Regions used similar buildings built to sizes to suit any one particular location  ………     :you:

J

PS. It just occurred to me that -  would size really matter - if you are a dedicated Rivet-Counter  ………      :toclue:

Well I think I plan to mix the buildings again, and then scratchbuild when I get good enough and have the time......We can hold the buildings, and when definitely finished with them flea bay them or offer on RM web.

The Bachmann main building and the new Hornby side are favourite for the main station at the moment for a front view

med_gallery_17883_2781_1123589.jpg0371

Amazingly considering the differences we notice the front view elevation is very similar in size. for the MAIN STATION at least.

Above is the complete new Hornby station NER

Below is the main 3 buildings of the Bachmann version TMC, with two of the first edition Hornby to show how we had our station until we just ripped it up.

med_gallery_17883_2781_222782.jpg0370

Plus the fitted platforms are useless, then don't have the same fittings as the standard Hornby platforms and thus can't be aligned.

And having a slop at both ends means you can't even abutt the left end against a regular Hornby platform. and frankly they look really poor. Colouring and finish is very poor.(more picture will show this later on)

Well I think I plan to mix the buildings again, and then scratchbuild when I get good enough and have the time......We can hold the buildings, and when definitely finished with them flea bay them or offer on RM web.

The Bachmann main building and the new Hornby side are favourite for the main station at the moment for a front view

med_gallery_17883_2781_1123589.jpg0371

Amazingly considering the differences we notice the front view elevation is very similar in size. for the MAIN STATION at least.

Above is the complete new Hornby station NER

Below is the main 3 buildings of the Bachmann version TMC, with two of the first edition Hornby to show how we had our station until we just ripped it up.

med_gallery_17883_2781_222782.jpg0370

Plus the fitted platforms are useless, then don't have the same fittings as the standard Hornby platforms and thus can't be aligned.

And having a slop at both ends means you can't even abutt the left end against a regular Hornby platform. and frankly they look really poor. Colouring and finish is very poor.(more picture will show this later on)

Jaz,

If it was my call, in photo 0370 the top lot of houses look best to me, they even match the photo of the actual Goathland, for the signal box i'd go for the right in photo 0320 and the water tower on the left in photo 0310 as it's got a better scale detail and colour on the tank.

Roy

• Like 1

MrB,

A useful reply thank you, is Goathland an interest of yours?

Further to this we are doing a lot of research (not much real work) But as Kal has earthquaked Goathland we are going to go with the hill behind, and zoom across to Goathlands / heartbeat Brow House Farm used as Greengrass farm and in real life it has a caravan site.

Here it is just balanced as we initiate the build

med_gallery_17883_2793_115489.jpg0386

And some quick dressing for atmosphere

med_gallery_17883_2793_278337.jpg0390

med_gallery_17883_2793_750422.jpg0398

med_gallery_17883_2793_2065272.jpg0400

med_gallery_17883_2793_1675187.jpg0393

I was visiting Trains4U in Peterborough and spied these.....

med_gallery_17883_2793_769873.jpg0404

A quick repaint with Pheonix weathered wood and Tamiya flat earth and some railmatch concrete....as you do and presto...

med_gallery_17883_2793_30688.jpg0408

• Like 2

Everyone knows you should see donkeys at the seaside.....the owner must have been ill so the donkeys walked down by themselves............

med_gallery_17883_2806_620076.jpg0408

eventually some riders some blankets and reins and saddles and it will be donkey rides.

med_gallery_17883_2806_198058.jpg0409

• Like 1

Our research into the stations has become a roller coaster, and may have a major impact because

Arley Station = a Hornby recoloured the r8529 station masters office, and r8530 waiting room (Severn Valley)

Dent station = the Hornby new Dent station AND the Skaledale East station

Rye station = the Hornby 2007 Terminus station

Goathland station = the Hornby 2006  r8629 station,r8631 extn building,r8630 toilet block,r8634 open coal deposit,r8633 covered coal shed,r8635 goods shed,r8632 low level signal box,r8640 platform water crane.r8641 footbridge and r8638 platform shelter, 2007 r8720 lower skaledale office

=the Bachmann limited Ed main station

=the Hornby 2012 NER

Rayners Lane Tube Station = the Bachmann Art Deco station

= the Upperskaldedale (near Louth)

Louth station        =the Hornby  Skale Regis station pieces inc signal boxes and sheds

But a large number of the shops are from Louth town centre

Mainwearing tv = Eastgate Louth Faulkners electics (yes really...they used the name on another building)

Forbes menwear = Eastgate Louth and kept the name

Mawes estate agent = Eastgate Louth sits next to Forbes

Barclays                 = Eastgate Louth (Bachmann)

Kings Head             =opposite Barclays Eastgate Louth and is Ye Olde White Swanne

Toll House               =horncastle road, Louth

Water fountain         = Hubbards Hill memorial drinking fountain, Louth

Priory                       =based on The Priory Hotel, Louth

The 2 paired shopping terraces = Eastgate shops, Louth

Patience the Jewellers = has a look of a similar jewellers, Eastgate Louth

And no guesses for who was bought up in Louth. Simon Kohler.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Hi Jaz

All the white lines on the above pictures... shouldn't they be in the shape of people... as if dead... like in the movies...lol rather than clouds or sheep... Doh!

Great photoe throughout... sorry not been around lately... so good to catch up on all your works...

Jamie

MrB,

A useful reply thank you, is Goathland an interest of yours?

Further to this we are doing a lot of research (not much real work) But as Kal has earthquaked Goathland we are going to go with the hill behind, and zoom across to Goathlands / heartbeat Brow House Farm used as Greengrass farm and in real life it has a caravan site.

Here it is just balanced as we initiate the build

med_gallery_17883_2793_115489.jpg0386

And some quick dressing for atmosphere

med_gallery_17883_2793_278337.jpg0390

med_gallery_17883_2793_750422.jpg0398

med_gallery_17883_2793_2065272.jpg0400

med_gallery_17883_2793_1675187.jpg0393

I was visiting Trains4U in Peterborough and spied these.....

med_gallery_17883_2793_769873.jpg0404

A quick repaint with Pheonix weathered wood and Tamiya flat earth and some railmatch concrete....as you do and presto...

med_gallery_17883_2793_30688.jpg0408

Jaz,

Not really an interest, unless you count having watched Heartbeat? Just a keen eye and liked what I suggested.

Regards

Roy

• Like 2

MrB, ah thanks for answering, I'm always willing to pick other peoples brains for reference, we became friendly with Silky_Jack through the Goathland connection. Should you see anything regards Heartbeat etc feel free to shout out.

Does anyone one know matching modelled signals for those at Goathland? Working ones are preferable. We have a ratio set. I will go research, but if anyone can save me the time I would really appreciate it.

Edited by Jaz